Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jul 1, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #3,931 of 20,644
You're never asking too much when you step into headfi.... expectations the limit! (Wait, I meant to say sky's the limit!) anyways- if you really enjoyed the mojo and Utopia paring then go for it! The mojo has stood its test of time now for being a ridiculously good portable option. I also have heard from a customer that uses it in his 2 channel set up and loves it. Does that mean that it's the end all for driving the Utopia? Defiantly not. BUT since the Utopia doesn't need a ton of power to drive, I feel like the mojo can do its job all things considered.

Just do what makes you happy, and with the Mojo you should feel more then comfortable with your purchase.

Jul 1, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #3,932 of 20,644
Up until very recently (this week, actually!) I was using the Mojo in line-out mode as the DAC for my Utopias, through a Cavalli LAu. I was really happy with that set up. The Mojo is a great little DAC that can play just about any file format you can throw at it, and if you like the Mojo's musical mojo, the Utopias will be a great partner.

If you play music from a computer, get one of those usb cables that has one connection for charging the mojo and another for the data. (One comes in the mojo cable and accessory pack).

The Utopias scale really well. As Craig said, the Mojo isn't the end all for driving the Utopia, but I think you'll be happy with it until if/when you decide to upgrade your DAC. I am super happy with the D1100 and it is definitely a big step up from the Mojo, but the having the Mojo allowed me to enjoy the Utiopias while researching and saving for my next purchase.

Jul 1, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #3,934 of 20,644
I have the Utopia for around 3 months already and i must say that the Imaging of Utopia is the best that i have heard from a headphone system ( Previously i owned HD800, Stax SR-009 with KGSSHV 500v and auditioned a lot of Hi-End fullsize headphone). The way Utopia recreate the imaging or i would say the "stage" is very accurate with highest level of pin-point localization. I can actually feel that the instrument is right there exactly at that point. The second thing that is impressive about the Utopia is that it's the most dynamic headphone that i tried and it comes very close to a high-end speaker setup. You can try listen to my reference song: Rodrigo y Gabriela - Diablo Rojo. This song showcases the best qualities of Focal Utopia and will cause lots of problems even with hi-end speaker system.

A lot of people complaint about sibilance with headphones like Utopia and SR-009. I think you guys should take a closer look at the source of your System (AC Power, Digital Components, Cable, etc). This might be the root of the problem. Actually, Hi-End headphones such as Utopia and SR-009 is extremely detailed that's why it will reveal a lot of "error" in your system, may it be the power supply, cable, grounding, etc. Currently in my system, i have to use Nordost Sort Kone under the Macbook power adaptor and place it near the Nordost QX4 or sibilance will occur.

Here is the components that i use to drive Utopia:
- Siltech Duchness Cable for Utopia
- Macbook Pro 2014 with Audirvana Plus
- DAC: Exogal Comet Plus
- Amp: Microzotl 2 with Mullard and Sophia tubes
- Nordost QRT QX4 Power Conditioner
- Nordost Qb8 power distributor
- 3 Nordost Heimdall Power cord, 1 Heimdall RCA, 1 Frey Power Cord, 1 Vahalla 2 USB Cable
- 4 Nordost Qv2
- Nordost Sort Kone TC and AC
- Nordost Qline grounding cable and another DIY grounding cable[/QUOTE

Jul 1, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #3,935 of 20,644
I have the Utopia for around 3 months already and i must say that the Imaging of Utopia is the best that i have heard from a headphone system ( Previously i owned HD800, Stax SR-009 with KGSSHV 500v and auditioned a lot of Hi-End fullsize headphone). The way Utopia recreate the imaging or i would say the "stage" is very accurate with highest level of pin-point localization. I can actually feel that the instrument is right there exactly at that point. The second thing that is impressive about the Utopia is that it's the most dynamic headphone that i tried and it comes very close to a high-end speaker setup. You can try listen to my reference song: Rodrigo y Gabriela - Diablo Rojo. This song showcases the best qualities of Focal Utopia and will cause lots of problems even with hi-end speaker system.

A lot of people complaint about sibilance with headphones like Utopia and SR-009. I think you guys should take a closer look at the source of your System (AC Power, Digital Components, Cable, etc). This might be the root of the problem. Actually, Hi-End headphones such as Utopia and SR-009 is extremely detailed that's why it will reveal a lot of "error" in your system, may it be the power supply, cable, grounding, etc. Currently in my system, i have to use Nordost Sort Kone under the Macbook power adaptor and place it near the Nordost QX4 or sibilance will occur.

Here is the components that i use to drive Utopia:
- Siltech Duchness Cable for Utopia
- Macbook Pro 2014 with Audirvana Plus
- DAC: Exogal Comet Plus
- Amp: Microzotl 2 with Mullard and Sophia tubes
- Nordost QRT QX4 Power Conditioner
- Nordost Qb8 power distributor
- 3 Nordost Heimdall Power cord, 1 Heimdall RCA, 1 Frey Power Cord, 1 Vahalla 2 USB Cable
- 4 Nordost Qv2
- Nordost Sort Kone TC and AC
- Nordost Qline grounding cable and another DIY grounding cable
I have a Furman PST-8D power conditioner, power cables are Shunyata Venom3, with Tellurium Q Black USB and Ultra Black RCA interconnect. However, the only tweak that made a HUGE difference was when i upgraded the power supply to my Aries to SBooster (16V) with the Ultra noise filter. Clean power is critical when you reach this level, I have not heard such dramatic improvements across the board with cable changes.

Jul 1, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #3,936 of 20,644
Thanks Jason. 60 hours in the imaging has improved a lot, the soundstage is more coherent and the treble is starting to sound spot on. I think my wallet is not going to be happy.

At the end of the day, your wallet and if it's happy or not is not going to be the deciding factor. The Utopia will have done that. Enjoy!!

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jul 1, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #3,937 of 20,644
I have a Furman PST-8D power conditioner, power cables are Shunyata Venom3, with Tellurium Q Black USB and Ultra Black RCA interconnect. However, the only tweak that made a HUGE difference was when i upgraded the power supply to my Aries to SBooster (16V) with the Ultra noise filter. Clean power is critical when you reach this level, I have not heard such dramatic improvements across the board with cable changes.

The Reason for the Sbooster to make the largest effect is that it's the digital source of your setup which is extremely crucial.

As for cables, i still believe in Nordost Cable. Tried several other brands (crystal cable, MIT, analysis plus, high-fidelity...etc) but kept coming back to Nordost. Reason is that Nordost is the most neutral and low-noise cable that i have ever used. It doesn't alter the sound just give you more "details" and some "special things" while other cables color the sound to a certain degree or kind of give you something and take from you some other things. Some people say that Nordost is bright and cause sibilance but it's the same situation when SR-009 and Utopia are said to cause sibilance. You system have "problems", so these premium components just reveal that to you, nothing more nothing less.

Regarding the cable can make subtle or huge difference i would like to tell you a story regarding our experiment. Last time, i purchase the new Vahalla 2 USB which is released some time in Feb i think. Previously, i use the cheap $50 Furutech usb cable because i read a lot and people keep saying that usb cable is just snake-oil and of no importance. However, when trying the vahalla 2 at that time, i was just so astonished at how huge it affected my system. Once plugging in, i cannot remove it from my setup. I brought the demo unit of vahalla 2 usb cable to my friend "phuong" in the STAX thread and we tested together. His system use even more complicated components in the digital front than my setup (Melco music server, iFi iusb 3.0, Beckerley Transport). Much to my surprise. Vahalla 2 effect is so subtle in his setup. I wondered "Why"? Maybe the digital front of his setup is better than mine so the Vahalla 2 USB cable doesn't make that much improvement??? Later, i decided to remove the iFi iUSB 3.0 and connect the Melco to Beckerley directly using Vahalla 2 cable and magic happened. Similar "huge" effect that i experienced at home, my friend is so shocked as well. The only thing that we came up with to explain for this case is that these USB Filters not only remove the noise from dirty usb port but it also filter out "A LOT" other things from the signal. After that, my friend just sold the iFi and use that money to invest in usb cable.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #3,938 of 20,644
The Reason for the Sbooster to make the largest effect is that it's the digital source of your setup which is extremely crucial.

As for cables, i still believe in Nordost Cable. Tried several other brands (crystal cable, MIT, analysis plus, high-fidelity...etc) but kept coming back to Nordost. Reason is that Nordost is the most neutral and low-noise cable that i have ever used. It doesn't alter the sound just give you more "details" and some "special things" while other cables color the sound to a certain degree or kind of give you something and take from you some other things. Some people say that Nordost is bright and cause sibilance but it's the same situation when SR-009 and Utopia are said to cause sibilance. You system have "problems", so these premium components just reveal that to you, nothing more nothing less.

Regarding the cable can make subtle or huge difference i would like to tell you a story regarding our experiment. Last time, i purchase the new Vahalla 2 USB which is released some time in Feb i think. Previously, i use the cheap $50 Furutech usb cable because i read a lot and people keep saying that usb cable is just snake-oil and of no importance. However, when trying the vahalla 2 at that time, i was just so astonished at how huge it affected my system. Once plugging in, i cannot remove it from my setup. I brought the demo unit of vahalla 2 usb cable to my friend "phuong" in the STAX thread and we tested together. His system use even more complicated components in the digital front than my setup (Melco music server, iFi iusb 3.0, Beckerley Transport). Much to my surprise. Vahalla 2 effect is so subtle in his setup. I wondered "Why"? Maybe the digital front of his setup is better than mine so the Vahalla 2 USB cable doesn't make that much improvement??? Later, i decided to remove the iFi iUSB 3.0 and connect the Melco to Beckerley directly using Vahalla 2 cable and magic happened. Similar "huge" effect that i experienced at home, my friend is so shocked as well. The only thing that we came up with to explain for this case is that these USB Filters not only remove the noise from dirty usb port but it also filter out "A LOT" other things from the signal. After that, my friend just sold the iFi and use that money to invest in usb cable.

That is good that you could hear the differences, I posted it in the IFI purifier a while back and many people thought I was just a sucker. A real quality USB cables is much better than anything filtered.....the same reason why I am never a fan of Power line filtering or anything. But lately I am very interested in power generator for pure power to audio system...but that is expensive stuff lol

Jul 1, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #3,939 of 20,644
That is good that you could hear the differences, I posted it in the IFI purifier a while back and many people thought I was just a sucker. A real quality USB cables is much better than anything filtered.....the same reason why I am never a fan of Power line filtering or anything. But lately I am very interested in power generator for pure power to audio system...but that is expensive stuff lol

Power generators are cool and yes very expensive. There are so many cable deniers that it's probably better to stay on topic. His post and your post are really correct on the filter/cable use.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jul 2, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #3,940 of 20,644

I would say that 90% of headphone setups on head-fi has lots of "flaws" and these setups have very high noise-floor. IFI is a low-cost solution to "eliminate" these noise (but you also have to give up other things). I really cannot blame them for that because to completely purify the whole system from the root you need thousands of $ investing in Power supply/conditioning/generator, cable, grounding, etc which hardly anyone does in headphone community. Only when people climb up the ladder to high-end and ultra high-end speaker world than they will realize the importance of these things.

Maybe you can do some research on the QRT Power solution from Nordost especially their QX power conditioner which takes a different approach from other companies.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #3,942 of 20,644
I would say that 90% of headphone setups on head-fi has lots of "flaws" and these setups have very high noise-floor. IFI is a low-cost solution to "eliminate" these noise (but you also have to give up other things). I really cannot blame them for that because to completely purify the whole system from the root you need thousands of $ investing in Power supply/conditioning/generator, cable, grounding, etc which hardly anyone does in headphone community. Only when people climb up the ladder to high-end and ultra high-end speaker world than they will realize the importance of these things.

Maybe you can do some research on the QRT Power solution from Nordost especially their QX power conditioner which takes a different approach from other companies.

Agreed, and this is one of the reason why my player is Walkman Wm1z the player that can have upto 256Gb+256GB internal, exotic build, materials, with Walkman OS, the best of Sony yet. I use it in both Portability with Utopia or digital USB into my DAC and nothing in my chain is cheap out. The only thing I am lacking now is a generator, I may just look into other ways to get a generator for lower cost. One of those would be to grab cheap used motor and hook it up as a generator, next up would be to have a propane generator to setup on my yard and simply flipping up a switch to have it Dedicated power for my setup :). PSAudio look awesome and very good to have for an apartment, but I have more choices, and what the PSAudio is, it's just a generator that runs on your typical main AC instead of other alternatives, with a propane one though, I can enjoy it even in the blacked out even

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #3,943 of 20,644
Agreed, and this is one of the reason why my player is Walkman Wm1z the player that can have upto 256Gb+256GB internal, exotic build, materials, with Walkman OS, the best of Sony yet. I use it in both Portability with Utopia or digital USB into my DAC and nothing in my chain is cheap out. The only thing I am lacking now is a generator, I may just look into other ways to get a generator for lower cost. One of those would be to grab cheap used motor and hook it up as a generator, next up would be to have a propane generator to setup on my yard and simply flipping up a switch to have it Dedicated power for my setup :). PSAudio look awesome and very good to have for an apartment, but I have more choices, and what the PSAudio is, it's just a generator that runs on your typical main AC instead of other alternatives, with a propane one though, I can enjoy it even in the blacked out even
Wouldn't it be cheaper to have a simple UPS with sufficient battery to drive your system? This should be a cleaner source, no?

Jul 2, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #3,945 of 20,644
At the end of the day, your wallet and if it's happy or not is not going to be the deciding factor. The Utopia will have done that. Enjoy!!
Well, I think a Dave might be in my future. i might have a chance to audition it this week. The Utopia will deliver what you give it upstream. My Vega is a little bright and that is what I'm hearing. Coming from the Vega, are there any recommendations for "cost effective" alternatives to the Dave that will be a good match for the Utopia? Does the Yggy compete with the Dave at all? I wouldn't expect it to, given the difference in price, but I hear it punches above it's weight. I'm also considering the Holo Audio Spring Level 3. Any opinions? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back