Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jun 30, 2017 at 1:36 AM Post #3,917 of 20,602
Mine too remained stable in improvements after 300 hours.

Jun 30, 2017 at 5:56 AM Post #3,918 of 20,602
I love the SR-009 sound and comfort also but using it is such a hassle.

Not owning a pair of Stax (but owning the Utopias) can you please explain the "hassle"?
AnakChan said the same in the previous post.

Jun 30, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #3,920 of 20,602
The only "hassle" I can think of (once again I do not own a pair of Stax) would be the issue of tube amplifiers and allowing them to warm up to speed.
This is one of the reasons, if I were to entertain a pair of Stax as my next headphones, to go with one of the solid state amps from Mjolnir

Jun 30, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #3,921 of 20,602
1st = OK until pop sound started for certain sub-bass for right driver.
2nd = Actually best sound going through 200 hrs then left driver just stopped working one day.
3rd = Arrived 1st day with a light rattle sound on right driver for certain sub-bass sound, not popping sound. Tried to burn-in for couple days but did not help.

Always tested it with my trio jazz album from Japan ( Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio - Gentle Blues album, SACD ).

@ Svatopluk.
Mine is #A1BEHG001295

I was wondering if FOCAL has any QC problem in France but did not let anybody know about it.
I think there my be a serious impedance mismatch going on between the Utopia and your amp. I believe the Utopia to be very sensitive particularly in regards to bass, that was my experience when I tried pairing it with the HDVA600. Even at only one quarter volume ( 75 db peak on my SLP meter ) the bass was excessive and I was reluctant to go any further. I had the same experience with the Utopia/LD MK6 pairing as well. Afterwards, I only use the Utopia with amps that have adjustable gain settings. The HDVA600 has gain settings for the unbalanced section of the amp only.

I'm not trying to say the Utopia is fragile let alone go into some kind of Formula One analogue, but it maybe you're pushing it too hard with the wrong amp. Perhaps, someone who is more technical can explain impedance matching better than I.

Jun 30, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #3,922 of 20,602
I think there my be a serious impedance mismatch going on between the Utopia and your amp. I believe the Utopia to be very sensitive particularly in regards to bass, that was my experience when I tried pairing it with the HDVA600. Even at only one quarter volume ( 75 db peak on my SLP meter ) the bass was excessive and I was reluctant to go any further. I had the same experience with the Utopia/LD MK6 pairing as well. Afterwards, I only use the Utopia with amps that have adjustable gain settings. The HDVA600 has gain settings for the unbalanced section of the amp only.

I'm not trying to say the Utopia is fragile let alone go into some kind of Formula One analogue, but it maybe you're pushing it too hard with the wrong amp. Perhaps, someone who is more technical can explain impedance matching better than I.

I used WA6SE and ALO Studio six. Never heard anyone here complaints about those amps.

Jun 30, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #3,923 of 20,602
I'm also curious as to why it's a "hassle" to use the 007/009?
This is my main go to rig at least 5x a week, and I have no "hassles" whatsoever.

It's only for my circumstance i think. My place is quite humid and dusty, so every time i use the STAX i have to put them back into its wooden box, store in a cool place. Also, still afraid that one day when i put them on my head and yeah...it gets channel imbalance issue. As for the Utopia, i can leave them on the table after listening and sleep without worrying. Another thing is that with Utopia i can bring it to my friends' places and test their portable and desktop setup :)

Jun 30, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #3,924 of 20,602
It's only for my circumstance i think. My place is quite humid and dusty, so every time i use the STAX i have to put them back into its wooden box, store in a cool place. Also, still afraid that one day when i put them on my head and yeah...it gets channel imbalance issue. As for the Utopia, i can leave them on the table after listening and sleep without worrying. Another thing is that with Utopia i can bring it to my friends' places and test their portable and desktop setup :)
Completely agree about this. This is the most awesome thing about Utopia, being easy to drive, with a performances that is so close to the Stax....except the soundstage. But without Utopia...I don't know any other Headphones that can perform in such performances and being easy to drive. With the latest Hifiman 6K headphones, it makes me realize more than ever, the Utopia was an awesome buy. Oh, and she is not going anywhere. Given that I do have sa5000 which is also awesome, but Utopia :wink: she is a lover

Jun 30, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #3,925 of 20,602
I leave mine on their stand covered inside a cabinet when I'm done listening. I have no issues with humidity, but of course like every home, mine home does get dusty, but again their covered and placed into a cabinet. I also don't sweat the channel imbalance with the 009, I just enjoy them because anything can happen at any time to any headphone. I agree that the Utopia is definitely more user friendly in regards to amping, but then again, I would never take my $4K headphones out of my house anyway.

Jun 30, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #3,926 of 20,602
Completely agree about this. This is the most awesome thing about Utopia, being easy to drive, with a performances that is so close to the Stax....except the soundstage. But without Utopia...I don't know any other Headphones that can perform in such performances and being easy to drive. With the latest Hifiman 6K headphones, it makes me realize more than ever, the Utopia was an awesome buy. Oh, and she is not going anywhere. Given that I do have sa5000 which is also awesome, but Utopia :wink: she is a lover

My system already fixed the soundstage issue with the Utopia after a lot of effort and investment. Just for the dynamics, transient speed and imaging parts, SR-009 cannot keep up with the Utopia. SR-009 is better in terms of transparency, airiness and its special "ethereal" stage :wink:. I don't care about planar headphones anyway.

Jun 30, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #3,927 of 20,602
My system already fixed the soundstage issue with the Utopia after a lot of effort and investment. Just for the dynamics, transient speed and imaging parts, SR-009 cannot keep up with the Utopia. SR-009 is better in terms of transparency, airiness and its special "ethereal" stage :wink:. I don't care about planar headphones anyway.

What do you drive 009 with ? I was thinking about SuSy-Dynalo with dual PS for true balances to drive Utopia :). I drive 009 out of KGHV GG, which is a Carbon with output tubes

Jun 30, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #3,928 of 20,602
What do you drive 009 with ? I was thinking about SuSy-Dynalo with dual PS for true balances to drive Utopia :). I drive 009 out of KGHV GG, which is a Carbon with output tubes

At 1st i drove it with the KGSSHV 500v version. Later, i sold the SR-009 to my friend and he built his own amp to drive it.

DT-HWT in the STAX thread: https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/the-stax-thread-iii.677809/page-806

My friend designed it to drive the SR-009 because the KGSSHV cannot push the SR-009 to its full potential. He intended to build a T2 but it's too much of a hassle, so he built this amp with all high quality parts and use some ultra-rare tube. Fortunately, this amp can also drive the Utopia wonderfully so we can actually compare these 2 headphones on 1 setup.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2017 at 2:25 AM Post #3,929 of 20,602
I do (Grounded Grid and not BH), and yes I can confirm that :). Saddest thing is that Stax needs you to sit at your station while Utopia, you can just plug into WM1Z and enjoy. Since having Stax, I don't feel like having Utopia stationary anymore. It is either Stationary with Stax, or portability with Utopia
My experience is subjective...bear with me.
I like to sit on the porch with my cans, or listen while i cook, so my rig presently is my Note 5/Tidal HiFi with Mojo and HD800 with Black Dragon.
I went to my local shop recently to check out an LCD 2. Took my Mojo and phone. Ended up listening to the nice looking cans on the end table beside the couch, instead.
They were Utopias with the stock cable...with Tidal...with Mojo...

Before this i had had only ONE you-are-there (subjective! YMMV) experience with headphones (Macintosh headamp and HD800).

Utopia and Mojo were Number 2. I was in Heaven.

#1) I DO NOT have the range of experience of others here, re: multiple uber $ amps and cans.

#2) I am comfortable with my impression of the Utopias with the Mojo. I am almost ready to buy them. So, question:

Are there any better headphone options given my expectations? (a 'you-are-there' experience AND portability...I know, I'm not asking much, lol)

I've read some posts critical of the Utopias, written by people with some credibility, so I would like to hear of some other possibilities based on my peers greater experience.

Thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back