Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jun 5, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #3,781 of 20,644
Sorry can anyone compare the Utopia and the SR-009 and tell me which one is better and with which amp? Specially with BHSE :expressionless:

Jun 5, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #3,782 of 20,644
You never owned Stax with BHSE or any of KG high-end designs though, did you ?

I have owned both a 450V Sanyo and 500V IXYS KGSSHV, heard the BHSE a few times and even a rare DIY T-2. All were brilliant with the SR-007s. Though I prefer the LL2 (though the original wasn't to my taste) with the SR-009s (my preference over my SR-007 MK1s). All of these amps are fantastic with both Stax headphones which I own. That said, if there ever was a headphone setup that wouldn't make me miss my Stax rig would be what I'm listening to right now. The GS-X MK2 + Dana Cables Lazuli Reference Utopia cable + Utopias is a wonderful setup that really gets as much head-time as any of my Stax headphones.

Jun 5, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #3,783 of 20,644
What is your source?

Jun 5, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #3,784 of 20,644
A GS-X MKII isn't doing anything except adding colour. Better put the money into something like a Chord Dave and then compare it.

So by this comment, I'm fairly certain you've never heard a GS-X Mk2. :wink:

Jun 6, 2017 at 7:09 AM Post #3,789 of 20,644
Kitsune Holo Spring Level 3 DAC + KTE Singxer or a Benchmark DAC3 HGC (with a preference for the former over the latter).

Thanks
My question was in reference to your comment about the GSX/Utopia/DanaCable giving you as much head time as your Stax.

I see the Dana is all copper. Have you had a chance to compare it to the Kimber Axios Copper?
I own an Axios Copper 4meter which I use from a 430HA connected to my 2 channel system- source Linn DS and LP12.

I want a 1m cable to use with a Sony WM1Z. Tried the Axios Copper/Silver and now am trying a Wireworld Nano Platinum cable (all silver). Both being compared to the Axios Copper which I already own.

I am starting to think the Utopias like Copper.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #3,790 of 20,644
Thanks
My question was in reference to your comment about the GSX/Utopia/DanaCable giving you as much head time as your Stax.

I see the Dana is all copper. Have you had a chance to compare it to the Kimber Axios Copper?
I own an Axios Copper 4meter which I use from a 430HA connected to my 2 channel system- source Linn DS and LP12.

I want a 1m cable to use with a Sony WM1Z. Tried the Axios Copper/Silver and now am trying a Wireworld Nano Platinum cable (all silver). Both being compared to the Axios Copper which I already own.

I am starting to think the Utopias like Copper.
I have been using my Utopia with the Kimber Axios cable (copper, balanced) with my GSX MkII and have been extremely pleased with this combination. I've been tempted to try the Danacable but keep waffling on this, since I like the Axios so much. I believe the Axios has been compared previously to other cables including the Dana Lazuli Reference, and my impression from reading these reviews is that they are all extremely good cables, differing mainly in their "presentation" (read personal preference for the reviewer). It may well be that the Dana is a better match (compared to the Axios) for the Utopia using a different source and/or amp. Obviously it's not going to be possible for most people to audition a huge number of cables – but I don't think one could go wrong with any of the favorably reviewed ones. Cables are highly subjective, and I've noticed that sometimes on one day I might prefer a particular one, and then change my mind and go for another (at least for my HD800 which I rarely use now). Having a few different cables on hand might be a good idea.

Jun 6, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #3,791 of 20,644
Just lurking, I'm double helix cable guy all the way.

Jun 6, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #3,792 of 20,644
Kitsune Holo Spring Level 3 DAC + KTE Singxer or a Benchmark DAC3 HGC (with a preference for the former over the latter).

Hey you don't use TT anymore? hows the holo compare, read good things...

Jun 6, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #3,793 of 20,644
GS-X MKII adding color? That's a new feature. :rolling_eyes:

Anything you add to the chain adds colour, even the interconnects between the DAC and amplifier add colour to the sound.

But here is a fun test.
1. Record something using only something like a Chord Dave for example
2. Recording something now using the GS-X MKII
3. Reverse the phase of 1 of the recordings and add the recordings together
4. Do you hear something? If yes, then the signals are not the same.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #3,794 of 20,644
Anything you add to the chain adds colour, even the interconnects between the DAC and amplifier add colour to the sound.

But here is a fun test.

Adding a ADC phase, with a other DAC phase with a phase inversion? Yeah. OK.

Jun 6, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #3,795 of 20,644

But here is a fun test.

Have a gander:

https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HeadAmpGSXmk2.pdf

If a pair of headphones are underpowered, like the LCD-4s, then you will hear a colouration of the DAVE not being able to fully power it. The GS-X MK2 is dead flat with no flavour of its own...I love having it to review upstream sources as it just gets out of the way and gives you a "wire-with-gain" approach to amplification. Though with the Utopia, the DAVE alone is just fine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back