Focal Utopia General Discussion
Apr 28, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #3,317 of 20,602
I'm tight as when it comes to everything else really careful with money I don't even spend more than 30 quid on trainers but I spend a fortune on hi-fi and don't think twice but sometimes like tonight I'm thinking 4050 quid on a headphone and cable, I could get a car for that, seems madness I try not to think about it but I love sitting down and sliding my utopia headphones on and everything seems to make sense,such an expensive hobby unfortunately.Come on Joshua the boxer, hope god is on your side on the night

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #3,320 of 20,602
So the Trilogy amp when used between the DAVE and Utopias sounds much better than the straight line output of the DAVE alone??? Can you comment on exactly how they differ?? Many feel the addition of amp with the DAVE just adds coloration that could be dialed in with equalization with similar results for a much less costly addition.

Apr 29, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #3,321 of 20,602
If headphone doesn't sound good for your ears straight out of the Chord Dave, then it's better to find an other headphone rather than adding a colour box in my opinion. Digital processing is also something to consider or upgrading the quality of the music that you're listening to.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2017 at 7:15 AM Post #3,322 of 20,602
Anybody uses the Utopia with a portable Amp / DAC such as Oppo HA-2SE or Chord Mojo? Do they have enough juice to drive the Utopia for casual on-the-go listening?

Apr 30, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #3,323 of 20,602
Anybody uses the Utopia with a portable Amp / DAC such as Oppo HA-2SE or Chord Mojo? Do they have enough juice to drive the Utopia for casual on-the-go listening?

The Mojo does, easily. Sounds great to my ears.

No idea about the synergy with the HA-2SE but the specs say it's about1/3 the power output of the Mojo. Should be enough (power wise) from the HA-2SE and you may like the bass boost feature. The Mojo measures better than the HA-2SE, but tonally you may prefer the Oppo. The Utopia are very revealing of the source.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #3,324 of 20,602
Thanks for the reply. Cannot quote your post (stupid new site), but can't seem to find the rated power at 80 Ohms (Utopia impedance). Here is for Chord Mojo:

• Output Power @ 1kHz – 600Ω 35mW
  • Output Power @ 1kHz – 8Ω 720mW
And for Oppo HA-2se:

300 mW into 16 Ohm
220 mW into 32 Ohm
30 mW into 300 Ohm

Apr 30, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #3,325 of 20,602
Thanks for the reply. Cannot quote your post (stupid new site), but can't seem to find the rated power at 80 Ohms (Utopia impedance). Here is for Chord Mojo:

• Output Power @ 1kHz – 600Ω 35mW
  • Output Power @ 1kHz – 8Ω 720mW
And for Oppo HA-2se:

300 mW into 16 Ohm
220 mW into 32 Ohm
30 mW into 300 Ohm

Press the reply button beneath the post you want to quote.

The Mojo's output is the same as the Hugo1:
600 Ohms 35mW
300 Ohms 70mW
56 Ohms 320mW
32 Ohms 600mW
8 Ohms 720mW

And 500mA of Current output from the Mojo, not sure about the Oppo's mA output. So, Mojo at 32 Ohms is 600mW and HA-2SE ar 32 Ohms is 220mW. Not sure what the exact figures are at 80 Ohms is but the specs are more or less consistent with increased load between the two. Oh, and the HA-2SE's output impedance 0.5 Ohms and Mojo's is 0.075 Ohms if that'll help you decide based on specs. Either way they both have more than enough power to drive the Utopia to above 90dB.

There are comparisons between the two if you do a search in the site. Some prefer the Oppo tuning and some prefer the Mojo's. I'm a big fan of the Mojo so that's my recommendation, but obviously an audition would be best if you can.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #3,326 of 20,602
Thanks! Very informative post.

I tried doing both "reply" and "quote " but I get a stupid "security error message"

Apr 30, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #3,328 of 20,602
@thyname I'm getting the same errors trying to post.

I have all three models, so you can try them out for yourself and see which one you like with the Utopia.

@TimeLord

It seems like the reply/quote function works from a laptop on Chrome. Not on my iPad

I have yet to receive my Utopia, but FedEx Tracking shows it should arrive tomorrow (Monday). I have been with no headphones for a bout a week, since I sold the HD800 immediately after listing it for sale last weekend. Can't wait to get my Utopia!

You know I am all set with the desktop combo I have. This is a secondary use of the Utopia, for on-the-go limited use, so not very important. Maybe you can bring them to the meet up on May 20th. You mention "all three of them", so other than Oppo HA-2SE, and Chord Mojo, which is the third? Or you were talking about the Utopia as "all three"?

Thanks!

Apr 30, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #3,329 of 20,602
@TimeLord

It seems like the reply/quote function works from a laptop on Chrome. Not on my iPad

I have yet to receive my Utopia, but FedEx Tracking shows it should arrive tomorrow (Monday). I have been with no headphones for a bout a week, since I sold the HD800 immediately after listing it for sale last weekend. Can't wait to get my Utopia!

You know I am all set with the desktop combo I have. This is a secondary use of the Utopia, for on-the-go limited use, so not very important. Maybe you can bring them to the meet up on May 20th. You mention "all three of them", so other than Oppo HA-2SE, and Chord Mojo, which is the third? Or you were talking about the Utopia as "all three"?

Thanks!

Yep, earlier I was on mobile and got the reply permission error. Works on desktop.

The third one is the original HA-2.

I can bring those three and can add the Sony PHA-3, the Sound Blaster E5, Beyer A200, and the CEntrace Skyn for good measure, if you're interested in any of those.

Apr 30, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #3,330 of 20,602
@TimeLord Amazing "arsenal" of mobile stuff!

Not familiar with any of those.

So, Chord Mojo, HA-2SE (new model), and pick one of the rest that you like most...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back