Focal Utopia General Discussion
May 2, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #3,347 of 20,638
Guys: Does Utopia still sound good to you? If yes, does it matter what Innerfidelity says?

I don't see how your enjoyment could change if you genuinely liked them in the first place.
I realise that we're looking for reaffirmation with a lot of things, especially if we spent this much money on a product, but you have to know yourself what you like.

May 2, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #3,353 of 20,638
At the price the focal utopia should be consistently the same so I might be happy but the next person might not be, can't believe focal have this problem, they truly high end what's going on?????
Well look,ive had my utopia for just over a week now,running them from my chord Dave,and they sound absolutely fantastic.I love my hd800,but the utopia is on a different level,if ever their was a headphone that sounds realistic,the utopia is it.look at most of the utopia reviews on head-fi and u-tube,magazines,they all say how great this headphone is;maybe their is a few bad pairs out their,but that happens with most things.Of course Focal should say something about this situation,maybe they will in time.☺

May 2, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #3,355 of 20,638
It doesn't matter if you are an early adopter or later, this hobby is not car or personal planes where many mechanical failures can happen by the most minor mistakes. This is headphones with little mechanical to fail which leaves the only thing left for sound performances. So, if it was designed to be measured on the system "focal tester" with a tolerance of 10%. Then every and each one of them would go down the same Quality control for inspection check.

If this was the case from one product which differ greatly to another same product, then Focal has a big issue to fire those inspection guys...(those)....unless, it was smokes being thrown around to cover some people tails, or Focal is really not as good as it once was.

Either ways, there are a lot of smokes in this situations. I can tell you one thing for certain is that my Utopia is no where bright or sibilant, neither does it lack bass or anything of short....it would be one of the best dynamic headphones made to date in my experiences....but hey, what do I know.

Last edited:
May 2, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #3,356 of 20,638
My Utopia sounds fine (purchased 3/1/17, so does my HD800 (purchased 7/16), but they are two different animals to my ears. If I ever figure out how to post a comparative review and can stop making passes over and over again on my write up...

May 2, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #3,357 of 20,638
mine's a Sept 2016 build so i'm guessing i got a "good one".

and by "good one" i mean - BLOWS ME AWAY NEARLY EVERY FRIGGIN DAY.

May 2, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #3,359 of 20,638
I bought my Utopias on Jan 31. With a Chord Dave at a dealer the highs were intolerable, with my ULN8 they sound fantastic. Even more lively running through Audio-GD NFB-1AMP.

May 2, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #3,360 of 20,638
Guys: Does Utopia still sound good to you? If yes, does it matter what Innerfidelity says?

I don't see how your enjoyment could change if you genuinely liked them in the first place.
I realise that we're looking for reaffirmation with a lot of things, especially if we spent this much money on a product, but you have to know yourself what you like.

Perhaps you misunderstood my "question".

What I meant to say that I would NOT be impacted by what somebody at a website says for whatever reason.

I got my Utopia yesterday. Brand new. I don't know whether mine is from the "bad batch", as I never owned an Utopia before. What I can tell you is that it sounds noticeably better than my SDR modded HD800. And it has yet to "burn in".

Much better, tighter, fuller bass, better dynamics and "fuller" sound in general. Has a certain punch not present in HD800. Even the soundstage that the HD800 is lauded for, Utopia is not that "large" but to my ears more realistic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back