Focal Utopia General Discussion
Feb 26, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #2,343 of 20,634
Hi guys,

I have been tremendously happy with my Utopia's. Will be testing an Abyss pair next week to decide which endgame headphone I want to keep (lol). Can anyone recommend their favorite tracks available on Tidal that really showcase the strengths of the Utopia's? Was reading a few published reviews and came across 'Ghazali' by Renaud Garcia-Fons. What a delightful listen this track was.

Mainly curious from the perspective -- if you could only pick 2-3 tracks for someone who has never heard the Utopia's, what songs do you think would make the listener go WOW.

Feb 26, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #2,344 of 20,634
give a listen to John Hiatts "Bring the family" especially the second track "alone in the DarK"...I have the MFSL CD version

Feb 26, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #2,345 of 20,634
  Mainly curious from the perspective -- if you could only pick 2-3 tracks for someone who has never heard the Utopia's, what songs do you think would make the listener go WOW.

great question... i wish we had more threads about great music to listen to on these beasts.

my "show off" track for the Focal Utopias when others are interested in hearing them is "Mourning Grace" by Patricia Barber.

Feb 26, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #2,346 of 20,634
  Hi guys,

I have been tremendously happy with my Utopia's. Will be testing an Abyss pair next week to decide which endgame headphone I want to keep (lol). Can anyone recommend their favorite tracks available on Tidal that really showcase the strengths of the Utopia's? Was reading a few published reviews and came across 'Ghazali' by Renaud Garcia-Fons. What a delightful listen this track was.

My forever go to is B.B.'s Stormy Monday with Colins from The Anthology.  Also Mop Mop's So High is excellent and if you are into less natural stuff C2C's Happy.  Dead Can Dance, from "In Concert" Rakim is incredible.  Rodrigo & Gabriela's SYS and Hanuman are excellent.  Heck, play Buena Vista Social Clubs self titled album and just let it play.

The list just goes on and on and on and...

Feb 26, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #2,347 of 20,634

My forever go to is B.B.'s Stormy Monday with Colins from The Anthology.  Also Mop Mop's So High is excellent and if you are into less natural stuff C2C's Happy.  Dead Can Dance, from "In Concert" Rakim is incredible.  Rodrigo & Gabriela's SYS and Hanman are excellent.  Heck, play Buena Vista Social Clubs self titled album and just let it play.

The list just goes on and on and on and...

I forgot to add anything by Doug MacLeod and Chris Jones' No Sanctuary Here.  'Spheres' by Daniel Hope is an extraordinary CD.  Morgan James.  Regina Spektor...  Koop...  There's...  Just...  Too...  Much!!!  :)

Feb 26, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #2,348 of 20,634
Wow thanks so much guys... some of the suggestions here are AMAZING. Truly showcase what these headphones can achieve. Rodrigo & Gabriella in particular. I have a soft spot for acoustic guitars (being a musician myself)  and, just, damn. The imaging, fullness and -- time for me to have another listen!

Feb 27, 2017 at 2:20 AM Post #2,349 of 20,634

That would be very very subjective, I think at least you should know their general taste.

For example like me, who 98% of songs I like is based on female voice, any male voice based songs will never enough to really satisfy me.

With that said, my pick for now would be from
Katie Melua - Dreams on Fire 
Amber Rubarth - A Kiss to Build a Dream On (on binaural)
Rebecca Pidgeon - Jock O Hazeldean
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 27, 2017 at 2:31 AM Post #2,350 of 20,634
  Wow thanks so much guys... some of the suggestions here are AMAZING. Truly showcase what these headphones can achieve. Rodrigo & Gabriella in particular. I have a soft spot for acoustic guitars (being a musician myself)  and, just, damn. The imaging, fullness and -- time for me to have another listen!

Soft spot for acoustic guitars, maybe a little Doobies? 

Feb 27, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #2,351 of 20,634
To see if they get your feet tapping try the Modern Jazz Quartet-Django.

First track on the European Concert vol 1.

To do the MJQ proper justice you need exquisite timing and the Utopia delivered for me.

Also try Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah. Beautifully recorded track that shines with good phones.

Ploughing the hours into my pair and they're starting to work their magic.

I've been umming and ahhing over keeping them as they are obnoxiously expensive but boy what sound.

Do instead of getting rid I have spent even more money on a really good amp for them (Trilogy 931).

Just the Lavricables to go now! :)

Feb 27, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #2,352 of 20,634
To see if they get your feet tapping try the Modern Jazz Quartet-Django.

First track on the European Concert vol 1.

To do the MJQ proper justice you need exquisite timing and the Utopia delivered for me.

Also try Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah. Beautifully recorded track that shines with good phones.

Ploughing the hours into my pair and they're starting to work their magic.

I've been umming and ahhing over keeping them as they are obnoxiously expensive but boy what sound.

Do instead of getting rid I have spent even more money on a really good amp for them (Trilogy 931).

Just the Lavricables to go now! :)
lavricable...wonderful cable artisan..own lavricable for my Utopia, Elear and Audeze's plus adapters

Feb 27, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #2,353 of 20,634
lavricable...wonderful cable artisan..own lavricable for my Utopia, Elear and Audeze's plus adapters

Literally just pressed the buy button on the Utopia Master cable.

Was tempted by the Grand but just a bit too expensive for me. Also at 20 strands quite bulky. The master seemed a good compromise.

I take it from your comment you really rate them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back