Focal Utopia General Discussion
Oct 17, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #886 of 20,602

In my case, it was $5K CAD. Never thought I would ever spend that much on a headphone either but the hype got to me.

Let's just say, I don't regret the decision 
atsmile.gif

I managed to pick mine up for $4,199 CAD (plus GST). Absolutely no regrets here :wink: 

Oct 17, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #888 of 20,602

Need to receive them first. Oz supplier should have their shipment very soon.

I never spent anything like 4K USD on a headphone before, and never thought I would, but Tyll and many others have shown me the light.

Now if my wallet would stop leaving a blood trail everywhere I go...

Even Focal was surprised by the popularity and demand for the Utopia. It is impressive the influence and power that a few key reviewers have on the success or failure of products. I like to consider myself hype-resistant, but that might crumble once I get them on my ears to test.
biggrin.gif

Oct 17, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #889 of 20,602

Need to receive them first. Oz supplier should have their shipment very soon.

I never spent anything like 4K USD on a headphone before, and never thought I would, but Tyll and many others have shown me the light.

Now if my wallet would stop leaving a blood trail everywhere I go...

Even Focal was surprised by the popularity and demand for the Utopia. It is impressive the influence and power that a few key reviewers have on the success or failure of products. I like to consider myself hype-resistant, but that might crumble once I get them on my ears to test.
biggrin.gif

Maybe it is just me, but i was never influenced by any reviewer(s) who might have different music taste than mine...but I made my decision a minute into my audition. After listened to so many headphones etc, thus Utopia is just something else. Having live with it for some weeks now and it just continue to grow on me  
wink_face.gif

Oct 17, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #891 of 20,602
Where is a big big difference between HD600 and T1 soundstage... Dt990 was bigger soundstage HD598 even bigger HD700 even bigger than HD598 and and T1 is even very slightly bigger than HD700...

I don't have the 600, but if the 598 is close in that area, then the 800 sound much wider.
Pity that production volume of the Utopia is so low... otherwise the amazon buy<>return would work perfectly for a long test if they are not a match. I have to see if there is any shop having them for demos around here... probably not.

The HD800is absolutly wider.  I don't know the 598's well so I can't comment.  I guess what I am trying to convey is that if the soundstage of the 800's is what you love, the Utopia's may not be for you.  Something like the Abyss may be a better fit.  The sound stage of the Utopia's is more typical for headphones.  Honestly, for me, most headphone sound stages extend a few centimeters so if something extends 2 vs 3 cm I find them 'similar'.  

Oct 17, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #892 of 20,602

Maybe it is just me, but i was never influenced by any reviewer(s) who might have different music taste than mine...but I made my decision a minute into my audition. After listened to so many headphones etc, thus Utopia is just something else. Having live with it for some weeks now and it just continue to grow on me  
wink_face.gif

You are fortunate to live somewhere where an audition is possible/practical. Where I live (Auckland, NZ) the nearest shop that I know of that has high end headphones available for audition (Abyss / LCD-4 / Utopia ... etc) is in Melbourne, Australia. A 3+ hour flight away.

Tyll is about the only "reviewer" that I give any credence to at all, even then I disagree with some of his assessments. Far more valuable to me is the feedback from the user community, here at HeadFi and other places. Not a perfect system, but unless you have a buddy that that has the gear you are interested in, there isn't much else you can do when "try before you buy" just isn't an option.

Oct 17, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #893 of 20,602

The HD800is absolutly wider.  I don't know the 598's well so I can't comment.  I guess what I am trying to convey is that if the soundstage of the 800's is what you love, the Utopia's may not be for you.  Something like the Abyss may be a better fit.  The sound stage of the Utopia's is more typical for headphones.  Honestly, for me, most headphone sound stages extend a few centimeters so if something extends 2 vs 3 cm I find them 'similar'.  

​Exactly, the soundstage of the Utopia is MUCH smaller than that of HD800(S), HE-1000 and Abyss, and it is only slightly larger than the stage of the K812. So, in my opinion, the Utopia may well be the best headphone for vocals at the moment, but it is no real allrounder. It complements the three headphones mentioned above, but would not replace any of it.

Oct 17, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #894 of 20,602

​Exactly, the soundstage of the Utopia is MUCH smaller than that of HD800(S), HE-1000 and Abyss, and it is only slightly larger than the stage of the K812. So, in my opinion, the Utopia may well be the best headphone for vocals at the moment, but it is no real allrounder. It complements the three headphones mentioned above, but would not replace any of it.

Well, that's disappointing. Even having the budget for it it seems unrewarding paying 4K for it. Not that any set has 100% coverage, but still, the higher up the scale the mode demanding the buyer can get. And in this range, a nice roomy airy sound would be expected, given it's a high end open set.

Oct 17, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #895 of 20,602
I'm curious, name an "all arounder" in your opinion.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Oct 17, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #896 of 20,602

I'm curious, name an "all arounder" in your opinion.

My thought exactly...is the higher priced Abyss an "all rounder"? what about the equally priced LCD-4? or the slightly cheaper HE-1000?

I guessed some guys are just looking for one headphone that will triumph over all the core strengths of all the other headphone...in another word, the holy grail

Oct 17, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #897 of 20,602
My thought exactly...is the higher priced Abyss an "all rounder"? what about the equally priced LCD-4? or the slightly cheaper HE-1000?

I guessed some guys are just looking for one headphone that will triumph over all the core strengths of all the other headphone...in another word, the holy grail

If the LCD-4 was an all rounder I wouldn't have bought the Utopia. Big downer with the LCD-4 is the weight. But sonically it's very close to checking all the boxes. Utopia has both bass and more clarity than the LCD-4 imo, even though the LCD-4 bass is not weak. I think I'm set for awhile with what I have now.

Oct 17, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #898 of 20,602
I can see myself owning a LCD-4 sometime down the line...there will be no all rounder because that would mean we will all sell our headphones and keep only one. That would make my wife very happy indeed

Oct 17, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #899 of 20,602
  I can see myself owning a LCD-4 sometime down the line...there will be no all rounder because that would mean we will all sell our headphones and keep only one. That would make my wife very happy indeed

Mines as well.

What's the stock/turnaround time like for the Utopia?
If i get it i wanna be able to press buy and get them quickly.

Oct 17, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #900 of 20,602

My ultimate plan is still getting something like a $4K set that will replace most or all of them. Didn't get the Utopia yet and already failed that (open/leaky + small soundstage). But might still have to get it. :)

The last attempt at unification isn't going so well. The Z1R were supposed to replace the 800S+CD3000, instead it seems I have to keep all three.
beyersmile.png
beyersmile.png
beyersmile.png

Still room for one more to..try to replace them all... perhaps?
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back