Focal Utopia General Discussion
Sep 14, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #12,781 of 20,644
I wonder if the tuning is changed a bit from the Elegia to fix some issues people may have had with those (I haven't personally spent much time with the Elegia, so I'm not sure if there are issues to "fix" or not).

I had the Elegia before and they have a significant dip in the 3-4kHz region that makes them sound muffled in the treble. Beyond that, I thought they were pretty good headphones.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #12,784 of 20,644
The Bentley Radiance seems like a step down from the Utopia, which is bizarre, as if you have Bentley money, wouldn’t you want the top of the line?

You're buying it for the brand name.Focal is betting the target demographics don't know and don't care what a Utopia is.

Sep 14, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #12,785 of 20,644
It would make more sense (to me, anyway) to repackage/redesignate the Stellia as a Bentley accessory and pitch the Radiance more to less-than-Bentley-level audiophiles. I know a lot of audiophiles have money, but I am guessing not that many have "Bentley money."

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #12,786 of 20,644
I suppose. I wonder what the tuning will be like though? Are these the Clear of closed backs?

They introduced the Elear and Utopia first, then came out with the Clear that fixed the issues a lot of people had with the Elear. I wonder if the tuning is changed a bit from the Elegia to fix some issues people may have had with those (I haven't personally spent much time with the Elegia, so I'm not sure if there are issues to "fix" or not). Either way the whole Bently logo threw me off, just seems out of place for anyone who doesn't know the whole backstory on the partnership.

Just some thoughts that sprung to mind.

colorscheme looks ok but yeah having the logo there seems abit "off"

Sep 14, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #12,790 of 20,644
Last edited:
Sep 16, 2020 at 2:17 AM Post #12,791 of 20,644
Regarding the driver failures of the Utopia, earlier in this thread Focal discussed it and said that it was caused by voice coil fragility that affected some first production units, that they fixed the issue, and extended the Utopia and Elear warranty from 2 to 5 years as a result. Is that the latest information? Has anyone had a newer production Utopia with a driver failure since?

Sep 16, 2020 at 2:40 AM Post #12,792 of 20,644
Regarding the driver failures of the Utopia, earlier in this thread Focal discussed it and said that it was caused by voice coil fragility that affected some first production units, that they fixed the issue, and extended the Utopia and Elear warranty from 2 to 5 years as a result. Is that the latest information? Has anyone had a newer production Utopia with a driver failure since?
Yes. Not me. But yes. It’s in the thread. Maybe search under ”failure” and read some recent posts (eg first page of posts that come thru)

i write that as this comes up in discussion EVERY WEEK!!!!!!!!!

Sep 16, 2020 at 6:03 AM Post #12,794 of 20,644
Yes. Not me. But yes. It’s in the thread. Maybe search under ”failure” and read some recent posts (eg first page of posts that come thru)

i write that as this comes up in discussion EVERY WEEK!!!!!!!!!

perhaps another way to look at this is that there's no other aspect to nitpick apart from this "driver failure" hence the repetition over time haha

Sep 16, 2020 at 6:23 AM Post #12,795 of 20,644
Mine was new with the new packaging but still had driver failure . Sent back to France

Users who are viewing this thread

Back