Focal Utopia General Discussion
Sep 13, 2020 at 7:27 AM Post #12,766 of 20,644
Far be it from me to stoke the fire, but in an attempt to put things into perspective, here are my .02.

The driver in the Utopia (and other Focal headphones) is indeed a proprietary technology the brand designed in-house. This is described in some degree of detail in their Utopia & Elear Whitepaper, which states on page 9 it took them 2 years of R&D to develop the machine they use to shape beryllium into the dome they're using. It is my understanding that beryllium isn't the cheapest element one may use to manufacture headphone drivers, and headphones with beryllium drivers would therefore command a higher price than if they employed different/cheaper materials. Focal tops that with a proprietary dome design which is likely more expensive than an off-the-shelf driver one may purchase from Ali Express (I say "likely" because I don't actually know how much it costs to manufacture Focal's beryllium drivers.)

As an aside, Focal appears to employ proprietary manufacturing for all of their headphones. User oratory1990 (who, for those who don't know him, designs headphones for a living) briefly talks about it in a post where he touches upon how AKG, Sennheiser, and Focal go about solving the dichotomy between the need for a soft driver that's easy to move and the need for a stiff driver that keeps HF distortion at bay.

In addition to the above, the Utopia provide a good-looking design, good build quality, and are designed and manufactured in France (which means the cost of labor is higher—and I am more than willing to pay for it, as I personally consider outsourcing to low-income countries both short-sighted and unethical; YMMV.) Add to that the need for Focal to cover overhead costs such as marketing, accounting, legal, HR, etc. (all costs that wouldn't need covering if you built just one pair of headphones for yourself in your spare time), and I believe it is reasonable to expect a somewhat steep price for them.

You may still contend that $4k is too steep, and that's fair enough. It is Focal's prerogative to price their headphones at whatever level they want, and our prerogative as customers to vote with our wallet if we believe the price is unreasonable. However, there are a couple more considerations that I believe are worth making:

• A lot of people, myself included, paid a lower price than MSRP for the Utopia.
  • In all fields, the MSRP for TOTL products from premium brands is subject to considerations that go beyond R&D and operational costs, to the point that it becomes a marketing tool more so than an equation to hit a target bottom line. By setting a higher barrier to entry by means of a steep MSRP, manufacturers create the psychological perception of an exclusive product for a select "lucky few", which contributes to making the product coveted. By contrast, setting the price too low may give the impression that your TOTL product isn't worth all that much, and vicariously so isn't the rest of your offerings. Bespeaking the status of the owner is inherent to the notion of TOTL, and I wouldn't be surprised if marketing considerations informed Focal's decision to price the Utopia at $4k.

Anyhow, my apologies for the long-winded monologue.
along with the cost of manufacture, r&d costs and the proprietary technology that is developed from that investment are important factors worthy of consideration if one is attempting to 'estimate' the cost of making a high-end headphone like the utopia. at the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, i think that the exercise is fundamentally flawed without that information.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #12,767 of 20,644
Reading this, I’m glad I bought the Clear for $950 and the MDR-Z1R with Kimber Kable for $1200. Also owning the MDR-Z7M2, I consider them some of the best closed back high-res cans on the market. So perhaps those “mid-tier” headphones hold more value and quality than some may expect due to this sort of marketing. Granted I think the Clear are great and as evidenced by many owners in this thread, they love their Utopia. So Focal seems like a solid company, broken drivers aside. In the end, we like what we like. Cheers to the Utopia owners
I also own the Clear, MDR-Z1R (with Kimber Kable) and the MDR-Z7 (earlier version of MDR-Z7M2). Honestly, the Clear Is a very close second to the Utopia IMHO and at less than half the cost it’s a screaming bargain (relatively speaking). I also own other headphones and love experimenting with different amp/DAC configurations and music choices. I “like” one configuration one day and a different one the next. For relaxed listening, it’s the Utopia or Stellia hands down. So...I agree we like what we like and I am more than willing to risk a broken driver to own the Utopia. Overpriced, perhaps, but still the best overall to me.

Sep 13, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #12,768 of 20,644
I also own the Clear, MDR-Z1R (with Kimber Kable) and the MDR-Z7 (earlier version of MDR-Z7M2). Honestly, the Clear Is a very close second to the Utopia IMHO and at less than half the cost it’s a screaming bargain (relatively speaking). I also own other headphones and love experimenting with different amp/DAC configurations and music choices. I “like” one configuration one day and a different one the next. For relaxed listening, it’s the Utopia or Stellia hands down. So...I agree we like what we like and I am more than willing to risk a broken driver to own the Utopia. Overpriced, perhaps, but still the best overall to me.
I’m still looking forward to getting the Stellia someday. Pretty awesome closed backs as well. But they don’t come cheap. Glad to know you enjoy the Utopia. I find it a bit metallic in terms of the ringing decay from the instruments per what my ears picked up, but they are relaxed in nature. Definitely a unique sound signature to try

Sep 14, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #12,771 of 20,644
So the new Focal is a re-designed/named Stellia..

Well it has the Aluminum/Magnesium dome rather than Beryllium, so maybe more like closed-back Clears?

Sep 14, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #12,777 of 20,644
Looks really good, but I don't really understand the partnership with Bently to make a headphone. Why would anyone want a Bently logo on their high end closed back headphones?

I don't think die-hard audiophiles like us are the target audience

Sep 14, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #12,779 of 20,644
I don't think die-hard audiophiles like us are the target audience

To be ostentatious? If you can afford a Bentley, you're probably rich and bored to the point you're paying people to yawn in your stead. Having a pair of show-off headphones might be a way to kill off some of that boredom.

I suppose. I wonder what the tuning will be like though? Are these the Clear of closed backs?

They introduced the Elear and Utopia first, then came out with the Clear that fixed the issues a lot of people had with the Elear. I wonder if the tuning is changed a bit from the Elegia to fix some issues people may have had with those (I haven't personally spent much time with the Elegia, so I'm not sure if there are issues to "fix" or not). Either way the whole Bently logo threw me off, just seems out of place for anyone who doesn't know the whole backstory on the partnership.

Just some thoughts that sprung to mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back