Focal Utopia General Discussion
Mar 7, 2019 at 5:48 AM Post #10,261 of 20,625
The DAVE is a $10k Odac.

Mkaaay. I'm curious if you've actually heard the DAVE. When I first got mine I thought it sounded too warm, too 'analogue'. It also didn’t jump out and scream dry detail to me. This was comparing to my Audio-GD R2R gear at the time (admittedly not the best R2R gear). Great measurements don't mean sterile or boring, which is what I'm sensing a lot of the perception is lately. The implementation in the DAVE is far removed from the ODAC, which I don't find particularly good BTW.

With the Utopia I would agree with @MacedonianHero and it's a fantastic pairing in my opinion. Not peaky or sibilant. Not bright or metallic. I also hear very good musicality. Nothing that would really make me feel the need to sell either piece of equipment as I'm not a soundstage addict, although I have zero complaints of the Utopia's soundstage with the DAVE. Others may not feel the same and that's fine, YMWV. I do find it funny though that the pairing was simply mentioned as enjoyable and then a debate erupts. A member posted it was the best he had heard. Others may have heard better for them and their tastes.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #10,263 of 20,625
Mkaaay. I'm curious if you've actually heard the DAVE. When I first got mine I thought it sounded too warm, too 'analogue'. It also didn’t jump out and scream dry detail to me. This was comparing to my Audio-GD R2R gear at the time (admittedly not the best R2R gear). Great measurements don't mean sterile or boring, which is what I'm sensing a lot of the perception is lately. The implementation in the DAVE is far removed from the ODAC, which I don't find particularly good BTW.

With the Utopia I would agree with @MacedonianHero and it's a fantastic pairing in my opinion. Not peaky or sibilant. Not bright or metallic. I also hear very good musicality. Nothing that would really make me feel the need to sell either piece of equipment as I'm not a soundstage addict, although I have zero complaints of the Utopia's soundstage with the DAVE. Others may not feel the same and that's fine, YMWV. I do find it funny though that the pairing was simply mentioned as enjoyable and then a debate erupts. A member posted it was the best he had heard. Others may have heard better for them and their tastes.

I think there has been a miscommunication here. I was using the history of the odac not the odac per se. Back when the odac first came out NewWaveGuy claimed the odac was better than every other dac because it measures better. Caused quite the brew haha from what I remember. I guess I went back too far in time.

Measurements matter to me as well. The Dave's perfect measurements to me means Chord really had their stuff together before they built the Dave. Measurements are not end all for me though.

Mar 7, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #10,264 of 20,625
Measurements are not end all for me though.

It seems that a significant majority of posters in this thread appear to agree with this statement

Mar 7, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #10,265 of 20,625
I'm sorry, but I can't reconcile your comment of "a DAC can be so accurate that it can remove the emotion of a recording"? The more accurate it is, the more of the recording it captures and I don't understand how that can remove emotion; unless it wasn't in the recording originally. Or conversely how a DAC can add emotion if it wasn't contained in the recording? <raises Spock-ian eye brow>
I'm reading a book that is relevant to this discussion, "Perfecting Sound Forever: An Aural History of Recorded Music" by Greg Milner:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6374049-perfecting-sound-forever
It is quite lengthy, so I only just got to the point where magnetic tape is the hot new thing. :) In addition to covering the history of recording and playback technology, there is a lot of interesting discussion about what recording engineers and even specific companies were aiming for (e.g. should a recording feel intimate as though the listener is in front of the performer, or try to give the experience of sitting in a concert hall? Should a recording reproduce the original performance faithfully, or remixed later to make to match the engineer's preferences?)

So far it is an interesting read, but long and dense. I hope to get to the CD section or at least the Walkman before the end of the weekend, LOL.

Mar 8, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #10,266 of 20,625
It seems that a significant majority of posters in this thread appear to agree with this statement

Me neither. But when it comes to $10000+ sources, they better bring the goods with regards to both. :wink: But then again, I don't know how one can separate these out as they are very dependent upon each other too?

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #10,267 of 20,625
I'm reading a book that is relevant to this discussion, "Perfecting Sound Forever: An Aural History of Recorded Music" by Greg Milner:
It is quite lengthy, so I only just got to the point where magnetic tape is the hot new thing. :) In addition to covering the history of recording and playback technology, there is a lot of interesting discussion about what recording engineers and even specific companies were aiming for (e.g. should a recording feel intimate as though the listener is in front of the performer, or try to give the experience of sitting in a concert hall? Should a recording reproduce the original performance faithfully, or remixed later to make to match the engineer's preferences?)

So far it is an interesting read, but long and dense. I hope to get to the CD section or at least the Walkman before the end of the weekend, LOL.

Thanks for that...I'll check it out.

Mar 8, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #10,268 of 20,625
I always listen my Utopia with SP1000 or 1Z with Kimber Axios CU cables....

Now I bought a second hand Bryston BhA-1 I connected to my pre and listening trough my CD player... with long standard cable, normal jack

wowwwww...... it sound more alive even in low gain mode...

maybe I was mistaken that the high end DAPS are good.....

Mar 8, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #10,269 of 20,625

Now I bought a second hand Bryston BhA-1 I connected to my pre and listening trough my CD player... with long standard cable, normal jack

You have to sacrifice something for the extreme portability of a DAP compared to a full sized desktop unit.

Mar 8, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #10,270 of 20,625
You have to sacrifice something for the extreme portability of a DAP compared to a full sized desktop unit.

I am using DAPs mostly at home, I have SR15 for outside, using Bryston/CD player is very nice, I am also appreciating the original cable and its length, just I wish for a remote.... BHA-1 is a good amp to a decent price in this world of excessive pricing..

Mar 8, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #10,271 of 20,625
I am using DAPs mostly at home, I have SR15 for outside, using Bryston/CD player is very nice, I am also appreciating the original cable and its length, just I wish for a remote.... BHA-1 is a good amp to a decent price in this world of excessive pricing..

Just curious if you've used your DAP as a source for your BHA-1?

Mar 8, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #10,273 of 20,625

i don't know whether the concero hp is considered high end around these parts (probably not) but the utopia sounded pretty "high fidelity" to me out of it :smile_phones:

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #10,274 of 20,625

i was under the impression that "high fidelity sound" was originally a marketing slogan and that true audiophiles only listen to mono recordings :wink:

Mar 8, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #10,275 of 20,625
i was under the impression that "high fidelity sound" was originally a marketing slogan and that true audiophiles only listen to mono recordings :wink:

Mono records with a mono cartridge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back