Focal Utopia General Discussion
Mar 9, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #10,276 of 20,554
Me neither. But when it comes to $10000+ sources, they better bring the goods with regards to both. :wink: But then again, I don't know how one can separate these out as they are very dependent upon each other too?

Oh please you know exactly why. Most of hifi is tubes and tubes do not measure well at all. My best dac experience was with an Audio Note dac recently. I don't think Audio Note even publishes their spec's and they do not need to because whatever they did sounds amazing.

Mar 9, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #10,278 of 20,554
i was under the impression that "high fidelity sound" was originally a marketing slogan and that true audiophiles only listen to mono recordings :wink:
Actually, I just got to that part, LOL! According to the book you are correct: companies used the term hi-fi to market shirts, lipsticks, perfumes and candy.

The discussion of “high fidelity” and audiophiles is pretty funny: “On the heels of high fidelity, the word audiophile entered the parlance, describing the men (the “hi-fi widow” was a much-lamented figure) whose obsessive commitment to high fidelity seemed to preclude any possibility of actually enjoying their hi-fis.”

Now I’m reading about the development of binaural recording and playback in the 50’s. (Good lord, this is a long book!)

Mar 9, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #10,279 of 20,554
yeah it is funny, but if men weren't obsessing over their hi-fi's then they'd be obsessing over something else :wink:

Mar 9, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #10,281 of 20,554
The discussion of “high fidelity” and audiophiles is pretty funny: “On the heels of high fidelity, the word audiophile entered the parlance, describing the men (the “hi-fi widow” was a much-lamented figure) whose obsessive commitment to high fidelity seemed to preclude any possibility of actually enjoying their hi-fis.”. (Good lord, this is a long book!)

The definition of an audiophile is :
"an amateur of Hi-Fi but whose objective can deviate from a search of high-fidelity towards that, essentially subjective, of hearing satisfaction"

The etymology is the latin "audire" ("hear") and greek philein (to like, to look after). You find again philein in philosophy, sophy comming from the greek sophia (wisdom, knowledge).

Strange that in English there is no world for the French "mélomane"

Mar 9, 2019 at 10:19 PM Post #10,283 of 20,554
Oh please you know exactly why. Most of hifi is tubes and tubes do not measure well at all. My best dac experience was with an Audio Note dac recently. I don't think Audio Note even publishes their spec's and they do not need to because whatever they did sounds amazing.

I can certainly enjoy tubes in amplifiers. But I've never really enjoyed any DAC with tubes; regardless of the many I've tried through the years; especially when paired with a tube amp. With regards to separating measurements/perception it really isn't simple, as the latter isn't transferrable to other listeners.

Mar 10, 2019 at 12:11 AM Post #10,284 of 20,554
I can certainly enjoy tubes in amplifiers. But I've never really enjoyed any DAC with tubes; regardless of the many I've tried through the years; especially when paired with a tube amp. With regards to separating measurements/perception it really isn't simple, as the latter isn't transferrable to other listeners.

Well it probably did not hurt the Audio Note dac was playing through a pair of $16k retail speakers. It was the first tube dac I have ever listened to. Really impressed.

The measurements are somewhat transferable to me but I know plenty who could not care less. They are all about the tube no matter the measurements. One of them has a $150k setup in his basement along with a $30k piano. I'm not kidding you, he does not give 2 cents about measurements. I have plenty of rare audio goodies from Japan. He will not step foot inside my audio room as it is an all solid state affair.

Mar 10, 2019 at 4:08 AM Post #10,286 of 20,554
Mar 10, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #10,290 of 20,554

I have enjoyed the Wavelength tube DACs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back