Focal Utopia General Discussion
Feb 14, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #10,037 of 20,554
do not be insulted we male models!

Feb 14, 2019 at 8:27 PM Post #10,038 of 20,554
I read a couple of reviews of the Stellia but none that really got into the nitty gritty of comparing it directly to the Utopia. Probably the soundstage is what I’d be most concerned about, especially given that’s already an issue with the open-backed Utopia. But expectations for a closed-back are different to be fair. That said, I’d imagine the Stellia would give the Sony MDR-Z1R a run for it’s money. Those are the best closed-backs I’ve heard to date, and have an arguably bigger soundstage than the Utopias! Also was I the only one disappointed to hear Focal decided to put AKM 4490 chips in their new dac/amp? For the price they’re asking for that thing I don’t see why they couldn’t have gone with the AKM 4497 at least. And yes, I know it’s all about the implementation but still...

Feb 14, 2019 at 8:32 PM Post #10,039 of 20,554
That said, I’d imagine the Stellia would give the Sony MDR-Z1R a run for it’s money.

Doubt it in terms of value, Z1R goes for low $1K new. Plus it looks much better, at least to me. Personally I am not looking twice at Stellia, no way I am paying $3K for a closed headphone. In terms of utility I'd rather get flagship CIEMs for that price.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #10,040 of 20,554
I read a couple of reviews of the Stellia but none that really got into the nitty gritty of comparing it directly to the Utopia. Probably the soundstage is what I’d be most concerned about, especially given that’s already an issue with the open-backed Utopia. But expectations for a closed-back are different to be fair. That said, I’d imagine the Stellia would give the Sony MDR-Z1R a run for it’s money. Those are the best closed-backs I’ve heard to date, and have an arguably bigger soundstage than the Utopias! Also was I the only one disappointed to hear Focal decided to put AKM 4490 chips in their new dac/amp? For the price they’re asking for that thing I don’t see why they couldn’t have gone with the AKM 4497 at least. And yes, I know it’s all about the implementation but still...
I'm not too concerned about the soundstage, just how the bass and sound is improved or not.

Feb 14, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #10,041 of 20,554
Doubt it in terms of value, Z1R goes for low $1K new. Plus it looks much better, at least to me. Personally I am not looking twice at Stellia, no way I am paying $3K for a closed headphone. In terms of utility I'd rather get flagship CIEMs for that price.
Fair enough! For me there’s no way I’m paying the msrp on a brand new flagship headphone. There’s too much good stuff out there at reduced prices and in 6 months the specials will start with the Stellia going for $2500 from authorized dealers. Plus you’re right about closed-backs. Until I got the Z1R I’d hardly use them over my open-backs at home, and there’s no way I’d take $3000 cans out on the street!
I'm not too concerned about the soundstage, just how the bass and sound is improved or not.
I read a review at The Verge saying the Stellia’s bass was much like Utopia in that it could be heard but not really felt. So that seems to be an area where Focal is sticking to their guns in terms of what they want their reference sound signature to be.

Feb 14, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #10,042 of 20,554
Fair enough! For me there’s no way I’m paying the msrp on a brand new flagship headphone. There’s too much good stuff out there at reduced prices and in 6 months the specials will start with the Stellia going for $2500 from authorized dealers. Plus you’re right about closed-backs. Until I got the Z1R I’d hardly use them over my open-backs at home, and there’s no way I’d take $3000 cans out on the street!

I read a review at The Verge saying the Stellia’s bass was much like Utopia in that it could be heard but not really felt. So that seems to be an area where Focal is sticking to their guns in terms of what they want their reference sound signature to be.
I watched that too. I never expected LCD type bass either. Just as long as it's better than the Utopia's bass.

Feb 15, 2019 at 1:37 AM Post #10,043 of 20,554

Indeed, rule #1 of HiFi is never pay retail. It'll be much shorter than 6 months before dealers take <$2500 for Stellia, whether advertised or under the table.

Closed headphones are a weird value prop to me, they are inherently inferior SQ vs open and if I need isolation and no sound leakage, I would use IEMs. For me I have zero use case for a closed-back.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 2:21 AM Post #10,044 of 20,554
If you have two boys running around your stereo time is limited, let alone your utopia time is limited as well

And any time you get your Nobles Encores into your ears somebody comes and asks you something

So this is my case for Stellia

I have Foster 900 first generation, it is nice but not doing very well with my daps

I ordered Sony z1r but it has been a 6 months and no headphone, Sony Turkey sucks

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 2:34 AM Post #10,045 of 20,554
I watched that too. I never expected LCD type bass either. Just as long as it's better than the Utopia's bass.
i don't know about it being "better" than the utopia's, but it appeared to be elevated going by Jude's fr chart, which i glimpsed at the end of his video

edit: jude's fr measurements

stellia [solid black line] note the mid-bass hump
index.php

utopia [blue line]
8946632_thumb.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #10,046 of 20,554
i don't know about it being "better" than the utopia's, but it appeared to be elevated going by Jude's fr chart, which i glimpsed at the end of his video

edit: jude's fr measurements

stellia [solid black line] note the mid-bass hump
index.php

utopia [blue line]
8946632_thumb.jpg
Lol, these graphs look highly detailed, I wish I knew what they meant.

Feb 15, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #10,047 of 20,554
with respect, you make these claims and when asked to substantiate them, your response is that you can't because the information is "confidential" or privileged for some unknown reason. i suggest that you consider not making them if you are unable to provide or prevented from disclosing any supporting evidence.

With respect, ask the NSA or journalists where they get there info where. Did I gave a wrong info ? I won't consider your suggestion with all respect due to you to the very important info you kindly provide us with everyday. Those not interested just have not to read my posts or blacklist me.

Feb 15, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #10,050 of 20,554
Ha! I was wondering what happened to you after you got the Z1R and Clear. You've graduated and nestling in the summit-fi threads :p

What is your go-to now?
Lol, my ears matured! Right now I'm on a quest to find my next greatest thing. I sold off my Utopia and I'm researching and researching. Currently interested in the Diana Phi, Empyrean, And maybe this Stellia. We shall see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back