Focal Utopia General Discussion
Dec 21, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #9,287 of 20,624
I'll be happy to try to answer your questions that I know are directed at me. The music I used when I compared these wasn't a huge assortment. I used music that I felt was higher performing on the SR009's. Jazz, blues, classical, contemporary country, classic R&B. Lorde, Nickleback,AC/DC and Yello were the only material outside those genres. So I used the WES and the Headamp Blue Hawaii on the 009's and I used the Cavalli LW, LAu, the Questyle 4 piece Gold & 800, the Woo WA5 & WA22 all on the Utopia with the same material. So it really wasn't the best of comparisons but fair enough for my comment. My first reaction was that the 009 sounded dated like an older speaker that can't do what a new speaker can do. This was on the WES. On the Blue Hawaii I felt the 009 was just a bit better than it was on the Woo. But to compare the better of those against the Utopia is my next reference. The WES/BH on 009 v the Cavalli LAu/ Cavalli LW on the Utopia. I found a more present and lively even more musical midrange in the Utopia. The 009 was lacking in this. The Utopia was all Focal in its high frequency, smooth, Unexaggerated but very detailed, present, very musical and highly extended. In the 009 it was nice, airy, open but clinically flat. In lower frequencies I was impressed at how the Utopia defined its place as a speaker. The Utopia was fast, clean and real. For sure more, better and faster bass with more extension. I found the bass on the 009's sloppy and distant by comparison. In string bass in Jazz recordings it seemed that the 009 was not Interested in coming out to play. On Stevie Ray Vaughn Tin Pan Alley they both lit up and dance but the 009 still wasn't nearly as interested in making music. I fell out of love with the 009 at that point and can't get that love back. On Yello, most punishing the Utopia just hung with me at all levels, on the 009's once the level reached around 96db it just couldn't keep up but to be fair below 96db it was happy but it wasn't giving me the emotion I remember I loved about the 009. Of course these are my personal impressions and as a STAX lover I guess I've changed my opinion of them after hearing a dynamic outperform it with many positives the 009 doesn't have. I've been listening to the Utopia mostly on the Moon by SimAudio 430HAd and now that we're bringing in Chord I'll be listening to their DAC's too. I'm looking forward to using the DAVE and others on the Utopia. Brian Hunter, Dan Stillhart Browdy, WarrenpChi and I mostly agree on the utopia but not entirely. We've all now spent a lot of time in them. One thing we are beginning to notice is that with time they continue to get better.

I have to agree. I was a SR-009 / BHSE fanboy for years - that is until I heard the Focal Utopia.

Dec 21, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #9,288 of 20,624
What there IS inside the car costs more than the car itself!
Anyway . Who knows is a problem i mean, we should know: i left an amplifier in the car all over the night and nothing happened to it
then i'd be more concerned about someone stealing the utopia from the car. point is, i doubt that there is anyone here who can answer your question authoritatively, save for a focal rep who may be monitoring this thread.

Dec 22, 2018 at 4:58 AM Post #9,289 of 20,624
I have to agree. I was a SR-009 / BHSE fanboy for years - that is until I heard the Focal Utopia.

Well, I think it takes all kinds to make a world :slight_smile:

I have enjoyed a 009+BHSE with XF2 tubes for years.
Then I bought the Utopia and asked a well known european artisan to build a dedicated state-of-art 300B amp (full triodes, only 2 stages, no feedback at all, regulated ps) because I was not fully satisfied with commercial amps (tried many including some TOTL). This Utopia+300B combo was at the level of 009+BHSE, in some specific areas even better. But honestly they were playing in the same league, cannot say the Utopia combo was clearly better overall.
Then eventually I bought a KG Grounded Grid with JJ 6CA7 tubes (and alternatively SED =C= EL34), and I must admit the 009+KGGG is in another league, definitely better than 009+BHSE and Utopia+300B on everything.

I think arrived at the level of performances of 009 or Utopia, everything is subjective, there is no good or bad, just "I like more this than that, but both are top performers". At least, I think so. So I can understand why someone could prefer Utopia (or anythig else) :slight_smile:

Of course all the above is IMVHO

Dec 23, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #9,295 of 20,624
I really can't help but laugh at the comment that a car company would automatically recall any possible defect as a precaution. I'm an engineer at one, and I can tell you that I have been terrified at some of the workmanship that goes into modern cars. If I wasn't under an NDA I could tell you stories of quality decisions that would nauseate anyone with a little experience in electronics or basic principles of physics.Car companies recall things when: A) they could be held criminally liable for a failure if someone is injured/dies in an event where the equipment could possibly malfunction in a life-saving role, or B) the PR nightmare that follows said risks can hurt the bottom line. If car companies made products that had zero chance of mechanical/electrical failure they would likely be as unwilling to recall manufacturing defects as we see in other industries. The equipment I deal with can easily make the difference of life and death. These decisions are still made in potential life and death scenarios so why would you expect things to be different for a headphone company? Every company has to accept a reasonable risk/reward ratio when releasing a product. Perfectly designed products sound really nice, but they are really rare to come across in this universe.

Look, I'm not justifying shoddy work. If Focal dropped the ball on their drivers they should be called out for it. Let's just stop pretending there are many places where companies don't let questionable parts go out the door as a risk/reward calculation.

Dec 23, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #9,296 of 20,624
What do you guys think of zeos review? I disagree with almost everything ...

I absolutely cannot stand that guy, I'm convinced he only does reviews to hear himself talk.

He talks about the weight and how it was stupid to use carbon fiber since they didn't make the cans lighter, without taking the time to research/realize it's a completely different magnetic driving structure.

It takes him 6 minutes before he even gets to the sound of the headphones, then he compares them to the LCD-4 and says the Utopia are less aggressive/more laid back, which I couldn't disagree with more.

Also, thank god he let us who already own them know that we didn't get "duped" by buying this headphone, so don't worry (what a tool).

I could keep commenting on the stupidity of the things he says in his reviews, but all I'll say is I've never liked the guy. Every review he puts out contains more talk about himself and him waving his hands around than it does him talking about the sound qualities of a headphone.

He should take a few lessons from Currawong.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #9,297 of 20,624
[H]e compares them to the LCD-4 and says the Utopia are less aggressive/more laid back, which I couldn't disagree with more.
+1. This makes me question his judgment more anything else I've heard him say. Makes no sense.

Dec 23, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #9,298 of 20,624
I find I usually disagree with most things he says. But he is funny. I watch his videos for entertainment, not actual advice. Currawong on the other hand I find very knowledgeable. His reviews I do watch for useful info.

Dec 23, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #9,299 of 20,624
I absolutely cannot stand that guy, I'm convinced he only does reviews to hear himself talk.

He talks about the weight and how it was stupid to use carbon fiber since they didn't make the cans lighter, without taking the time to research/realize it's a completely different magnetic driving structure.

It takes him 6 minutes before he even gets to the sound of the headphones, then he compares them to the LCD-4 and says the Utopia are less aggressive/more laid back, which I couldn't disagree with more.

Also, thank god he let us who already own them know that we didn't get "duped" by buying this headphone, so don't worry (what a tool).

I could keep commenting on the stupidity of the things he says in his reviews, but all I'll say is I've never liked the guy. Every review he puts out contains more talk about himself and him waving his hands around than it does him talking about the sound qualities of a headphone.

He should take a few lessons from Currawong.

He’s definitely a different personality

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Dec 23, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #9,300 of 20,624
I find I usually disagree with most things he says. But he is funny. I watch his videos for entertainment, not actual advice. Currawong on the other hand I find very knowledgeable. His reviews I do watch for useful info.

His (Currawong) reviews are at least his honest opinion. I agree with some of his reviews others I don’t but he is a good resource for opinion and he is knowledgeable. Until you guys brought him up today I had never heard of this other guy. I did watch (as much as I could) about 6 of his videos. I’m not sure I understand what he’s trying to offer the world.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back