Focal Utopia General Discussion
Oct 13, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #8,942 of 20,675
I’m curious if the sound of the hugo 2 -> utopia will changeimpact if an m scaler is added to it.

I'm hoping to get an extended demo with this setup before the end of the year. I'm torn between hoping it's as transformational as some claim and hoping I can't tell a difference so I can spend that money on something else lol.

Oct 13, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #8,943 of 20,675
Exactly why im not buying a utopia

If you’re only willing to buy headphones that never fail, then there are no headphones you will ever be able purchase.

In fact, there isn’t a speaker, amp, car, blender, hairdryer, watch, helicopter, television, refrigerator, shoe, computer, lightbulb, etc. etc. etc.

That’s what warranties are for.

Oct 13, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #8,944 of 20,675
If you purchase your Utopia’s from a local dealer you should be fine. Mine were dead on arrival (when I got home). 2 hours later I had a working replacement (although the first replacement was also DOA). Good job my local store was only 30 minutes away...

Problem is the warranties are only good for original owners from authorized dealers only.
If you buy from an unauthorized dealer or a 2nd hand unit, you're screwed as the driver replacements costs as much as the actual used units go for. Might as well just throw them away & buy another used Utopia.
As far as I know, you can't obtain a warranty from Focal.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #8,945 of 20,675
After two months of complete abstinence from my Dave/Utopia duo due to a relocation, tonight I got my ear massage up and running again again!
And now I have my man cave!!!
:gs1000smile:

Now playing: "Bad Boy", Eric Clapton

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #8,946 of 20,675
I bought my utopia from a local authorise distributor like three months back but today my left side is very very very soft but the right side is normal. Is this a common problem it seems such high end headphone spoil so easily. My senns n Sony which I have a few in my stable never need any repairs for years I had them.
Does Focal authorise dealer need to send all the way back to Focal for repair or there's a replacement policy? It the weekend here so only weekday they are open so asking opinion here. Will suck if have to send back to Focal n wait God knows how long it will be back.
I'm not familiar with the situation in Singapore, but in the US the dealer sends the headphones to the distributor for replacement, or at least that's been my experience. It took maybe two weeks time at the most and they replaced the headphones with a new pair.

Oct 13, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #8,947 of 20,675
Problem is the warranties are only good for original owners from authorized dealers only.
If you buy from an unauthorized dealer or a 2nd hand unit, you're screwed as the driver replacements costs as much as the actual used units go for. Might as well just throw them away & buy another used Utopia.

buy from audeze then,best customer service out there....they will service any HP provided it is still under warranty...they do it the way all manufacturers should

Oct 13, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #8,948 of 20,675
After each use do most Utopia owners remove the connectors from their headphones?
I never do (and won't) I'm just curious if a bad connection is the issue and is mistaken as driver failure.
For those who have experienced driver failure have, you ever checked the cable/s for continuity to rule them out?
Just to be 100% clear, I'm not concerned, nor do I fear driver failure whatsoever, so I don't mean to beat a dead horse, I'm just asking.
The driver failures are real or at least in my case. Focal replaced my first early production pair with another early production pair and I believe that explains my bad luck. As Focal explains it, the problem affected some early production units but not all. Later units should not be affected, so no need to worry.

Oct 13, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #8,950 of 20,675
I'm not familiar with the situation in Singapore, but in the US the dealer sends the headphones to the distributor for replacement, or at least that's been my experience. It took maybe two weeks time at the most and they replaced the headphones with a new pair.

U mean they don't repair your set but replace with a brand new set? My local authorise distributor is in Singapore. Hoping they will do the same so I do not have to wait for it to be sent back to Focal n repair n then send back.

Oct 13, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #8,952 of 20,675
U mean they don't repair your set but replace with a brand new set? My local authorise distributor is in Singapore. Hoping they will do the same so I do not have to wait for it to be sent back to Focal n repair n then send back.
That was my experience. Brand new replacement, they had a different higher serial number and they looked and smell new.

Oct 13, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #8,953 of 20,675
this has been discussed ad nauseam. if you've purchased a new utopia from an authorised dealer then there is no problem with the warranty.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #8,955 of 20,675
So what im getting from this thread is that old production had issuss but new production doesnt. But you just bought one 3 months ago and so did another guy. So id say that claim is false. That sucks man. I really wish it wasn't an issue. The utopia sounds amazing

So what I’m getting from this thread is that you have an agenda and/or aren’t bothering to read the responses.

It’s pretty simple - either buy a Utopia from an authorized dealer or move on.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back