Focal Utopia General Discussion
Oct 12, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #8,926 of 20,675
I just picked up a new set of utopias. I had to try them out because of the build/price. Everyone says they are bright and I was thinking I would need to really EQ them down as I prefer darker headphones, but I'm a bit confused. I dont feel like the utopia is bright, nor does it has weak bass (maybe sub-bass, but not bass in general).
I'm with you, I love the utopia's tonality. It also has really nice bass when used with the right amp. When used with my Hugo 2, it sounds very detailed, but a little too neutral and analytical. When I drive it with the Woo WA8, it sounds so enjoyable and has amazing bass quality and quantity. I feel it's a headphone that will do whatever you want, you just have to pair it with the right stuff to get the sound you want out of them.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #8,928 of 20,675
I understand. Im just going by what i see on here and hear is discord
There's been like 2 people on here that have reported driver failures. But, they've written about it like 50 times each. Trust me. I read through the entire thread. Took me like a month.

Oct 12, 2018 at 11:55 PM Post #8,931 of 20,675
I’m curious if the sound of the hugo 2 -> utopia will changeimpact if an m scaler is added to it.
From everything I'm reading about it, definitely.

Oct 13, 2018 at 1:14 AM Post #8,932 of 20,675
That survey is not very accurate. That was discussed in a bunch of previous posts too.
correct - the thread starter has acknowledged it and tried to have removed
The survey on the first page says 23.9% needed repair
the results of the survey are misleading and it would be wise to ignore it

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #8,933 of 20,675
Its bc i like the utopia and thinking about buying but im worried about QC issues
I've had two driver failures, Focal replaced both pair of headphones under warranty. I'm not that worried about my current pair having problems, they're much later production. I'm now shifting my worry over to my vehicle, it's older and far more complicated.

Oct 13, 2018 at 6:18 AM Post #8,934 of 20,675
If you purchase your Utopia’s from a local dealer you should be fine. Mine were dead on arrival (when I got home). 2 hours later I had a working replacement (although the first replacement was also DOA). Good job my local store was only 30 minutes away...

It seems that driver failure is not that uncommon with a lot of high end headphones. My HEK 2’s also failed after 9 months of use. Again they were replaced (although I had to wait a couple of weeks). Audeze also seems to have its share of driver failures.

None of this would put me off either headphone - they are both fantastic. Especially the Utopia’s. There is only a small chance of failure which is not itself fatal - so long as you have purchased from an authorised dealer. Just a bit of inconvenience.

If I had a choice between bullet proof/sub-optimal headphones and the Utopias the latter would win every time. I’m very pleased with my purchase.

Oct 13, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #8,935 of 20,675
I bought my utopia from a local authorise distributor like three months back but today my left side is very very very soft but the right side is normal. Is this a common problem it seems such high end headphone spoil so easily. My senns n Sony which I have a few in my stable never need any repairs for years I had them.
Does Focal authorise dealer need to send all the way back to Focal for repair or there's a replacement policy? It the weekend here so only weekday they are open so asking opinion here. Will suck if have to send back to Focal n wait God knows how long it will be back.

Oct 13, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #8,936 of 20,675
After each use do most Utopia owners remove the connectors from their headphones?
I never do (and won't) I'm just curious if a bad connection is the issue and is mistaken as driver failure.
For those who have experienced driver failure have, you ever checked the cable/s for continuity to rule them out?
Just to be 100% clear, I'm not concerned, nor do I fear driver failure whatsoever, so I don't mean to beat a dead horse, I'm just asking.

Oct 13, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #8,937 of 20,675
I bought my utopia from a local authorise distributor like three months back but today my left side is very very very soft but the right side is normal. Is this a common problem it seems such high end headphone spoil so easily. My senns n Sony which I have a few in my stable never need any repairs for years I had them.
Does Focal authorise dealer need to send all the way back to Focal for repair or there's a replacement policy? It the weekend here so only weekday they are open so asking opinion here. Will suck if have to send back to Focal n wait God knows how long it will be back.
Exactly why im not buying a utopia

Oct 13, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #8,938 of 20,675
After each use do most Utopia owners remove the connectors from their headphones?
I never do (and won't) I'm just curious if a bad connection is the issue and is mistaken as driver failure.
For those who have experienced driver failure have, you ever checked the cable/s for continuity to rule them out?
Just to be 100% clear, I'm not concerned, nor do I fear driver failure whatsoever, so I don't mean to beat a dead horse, I'm just asking.
I don't remove the cables from any of my headphones. I just coil them up and put them on my Woo Audio headphone stands.

Oct 13, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #8,939 of 20,675
I did try to change cable n try on another head amp n no luck. It's really my left driver issue.
I never abuse my headphones n use them very very gently but so surprise my utopia just give way after only three months and I basically only use it like maybe twice a week when I am free.

Oct 13, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #8,940 of 20,675
Will33184: I had exactly the same experience. I could have written your impressions myself. (I think I actually did so a few months back in this thread.)
Of course that nice VT231 tube helps. I'm a big fan of that tube.

MN8372: any impression of the Moon 430 amp with the Utopia (or other headphones)?
I have seen varying impressions of the Moon. (I know it was Tyll's main amp.) Thx.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back