Focal Utopia General Discussion
Oct 15, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #8,971 of 20,796
I guess my question is not very disgusting
Actually, I was curious as well. EU has some interesting regulations to protect consumers, so I wondered if they had anything in place which would alter Focal's warranty policy for EU customers. From Phil's response, I'm guessing not.

The 'Ugh' is just a reaction to yet another warranty question -- a subject which has been discussed once or twice here :)

BTW, I think the whole 'used Utopia with no warranty' risk question is a tough one. We don't know what serial #s were affected by the early production issues, and we don't have a sense of what else might be causing these drivers to fail. So it's really a crap-shoot. Maybe you get a perfectly nice set of cans which please you for many years without any issues. Or, maybe you get a pair that dies 3 months later and it'll cost more than you paid to get them repaired.

GLTY!

Oct 15, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #8,972 of 20,796
Actually, I was curious as well. EU has some interesting regulations to protect consumers, so I wondered if they had anything in place which would alter Focal's warranty policy for EU customers. From Phil's response, I'm guessing not.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm

Guarantees for faulty goods --> Second-hand goods

Second–hand goods that you buy from a trader are also covered by the minimum 2-year guarantee. However, goods bought from private individuals or at public auctions are not covered.

In some EU countries, the buyer and seller can agree to a guarantee period of less than 2 years, but it must be no shorter than 1 year. This should be made clear at the time of purchase.

For more detailed information about your rights under national law, check the specific rules on legal guarantees and commercial warranties for the country where you made your purchase:

Oct 15, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #8,973 of 20,796
Oct 16, 2018 at 5:21 AM Post #8,976 of 20,796
If I had a nickel every time warranty was posted in this thread, I could probably buy a Utopia!

It has been discussed a few times.
A nickel each time....no you wouldn’t have enough money to buy a utopia.

Unless of course it was sceond hand, and then you would have to ask if you are better off buying a new one so as to have the warranty.

Oct 16, 2018 at 5:26 AM Post #8,977 of 20,796
I am based in Europe and want to know if I buy focal utopia used than is the warranty transferable? I am getting a used focal utopia Eur 2k Is it worth taking chance if wa is not transferable?
To answer your question re taking a chance, from my perspective

I would only buy an audeze, focal or hifiman if there was a warranty involved - even a shortened one remaining (even as little as 6 months).

And i have a focal elear and lcd2 and i have had no problem with either - both have been great (had them for over a year)

Oct 16, 2018 at 5:32 AM Post #8,978 of 20,796
Thanks all for your response on Focal warranty, I decided not to take risk on second hand Utopia. I would never be able to afford/buy a 4K HP which has such a poor warranty policy. No wonder it is being sold in second hand market for half the price.

Oct 16, 2018 at 6:14 AM Post #8,979 of 20,796
i'll interpret that as meaning that you can't afford to buy a new utopia (which is understandable as it is expensive) and that you can't or won't risk buying a second-hand one for half the price because the warranty isn't transferable

Oct 16, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #8,981 of 20,796
Hey guys, did anyone upgrade from the Clear to the Utopia? I received the Clear's yesterday, and while very good, I find them lacking some sparkle in the treble. And I would like more clarity and better soundstage as well, especially for classical music that I tend to listen when working. So the question is: does the Utopia represent a significant improvement over the Clear in the areas I mentioned and is it worth the money?

Thanks

Oct 16, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #8,983 of 20,796
Hey guys, did anyone upgrade from the Clear to the Utopia? I received the Clear's yesterday, and while very good, I find them lacking some sparkle in the treble. And I would like more clarity and better soundstage as well, especially for classical music that I tend to listen when working. So the question is: does the Utopia represent a significant improvement over the Clear in the areas I mentioned and is it worth the money?

Thanks
Have you gone down the hd800 path?
If not - would well be worth trying it out - soundstage, for classical music and treble - the difference in cost can be put into a dac or (tube) amp as well

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #8,985 of 20,796
I can get a far better deal for the Focal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back