Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jun 11, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #7,982 of 20,796
I assume you don't mean 'learned' in any sense related to cognition/conciousness/intelligence :)

Here's a pretty good starting point for (what should be) a discussion (on the Sound Science forum) regarding materials with memory:

'...materials with memory, also referred as materials with hereditary effects are a class of materials whose constitutive equations contains a dependence upon the past history of thermodynamic, kinetic, electromagnetic or other kind of state variables.'

Essentially, it means that something done to the material in the past affects its future performance. A simple example we can all relate to is when you flex something (say a plastic rod) enough (times or amount), it will change the object, weakening it, making it more flexible, changing the color of the object...eventually resulting in changed behavior (say not rebounding as quickly, or not returning to its initial shape).

Another good/familiar example is battery memory.

Hahaha no, I wouldn’t be implying learning as a cognizant consciousness. I typically try to be inclusive and provide answers easy for all people not familiar with the vernacular or applied science. I’m too old to argue minutia anyway lol ...I’d much rather develop and discuss new ideas.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jun 11, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #7,983 of 20,796
Thanks to the professionalism and kindness of @TSAVJason I have a Utopia on the way. Very excited. Sold my 4z for this. Hope I don’t regret it! Ha.

Question — what’s the best amp for these? I have a dx200 with amp4, but would consider a desktop amp if it significantly improves upon them over the dx200. Open to any recommendations around $1000 used or less. Thanks!

Jun 11, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #7,984 of 20,796
Hi! I am very new to Head-Fi, so I am not sure if this is the right place to drop this question. I read rather obsessively about the Focal Utopia and I wonder if it would be a very big upgrade from my current setup which is an iFI Micro Black Label together with a Sennheiser HD800S. This combo suits me very well since the iFI has a bass boost which the HD800S really needs, in my eyes at least. I was wondering if getting the Utiopia would be ... the last step to have the one and only headphone (my HD800S would need to go, I am afraid). Thanksso much fo the feedback to those who are familiar with both. ...

Jun 11, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #7,985 of 20,796
Hi! I am very new to Head-Fi, so I am not sure if this is the right place to drop this question. I read rather obsessively about the Focal Utopia and I wonder if it would be a very big upgrade from my current setup which is an iFI Micro Black Label together with a Sennheiser HD800S. This combo suits me very well since the iFI has a bass boost which the HD800S really needs, in my eyes at least. I was wondering if getting the Utiopia would be ... the last step to have the one and only headphone (my HD800S would need to go, I am afraid). Thanksso much fo the feedback to those who are familiar with both. ...

The Utopia is very good, but if you’re satisfied with your setup, why not keep it, enjoy it, and wait for awhile? If you can hear them at a dealer or a meet, that would be ideal.

Jun 11, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #7,986 of 20,796
Thanks for your reply ... yes, personal listening is always the best but not always possible, unfortunately. In any case, although I am quite happy with the HD800S, it is not the “final” headphone, if that exists. I do enjoy the soundstage very much, but find that instruments can get “lost”, or are not as present as i wish, and I also occasionally feel the treble overbearing. They are also rather hard to drive...

Jun 11, 2018 at 10:59 PM Post #7,987 of 20,796
Thanks for your reply ... yes, personal listening is always the best but not always possible, unfortunately. In any case, although I am quite happy with the HD800S, it is not the “final” headphone, if that exists. I do enjoy the soundstage very much, but find that instruments can get “lost”, or are not as present as i wish, and I also occasionally feel the treble overbearing. They are also rather hard to drive...
Here is my post from this morning in the 'Sennheiser HD 800S Impressions Thread'.
This being said, I sold the 800S after receiving the Utopia. As you already know this is a very subjective hobby, so don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the Utopia is 'better' than the 800S, but I prefer them. Also, as I mentioned, I felt the HD800S lacked bass impact/slam which was the reasons I sold them, besides just not reaching for them enough. I do find myself reaching for the Utopia frequently.

Jun 11, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #7,988 of 20,796
8A89AC4A-A280-4FD9-B8E0-A628EBDA3ECB.jpeg
Here is the nice result. And it sounds great!

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #7,989 of 20,796
I tried to ask directly twice, both times they smartly dodged the question...

"Smartly" is right. If Focal says that there's a significant audible mechanical break-in effect, they'll look like fools to people who have enough technical background to understand this stuff. If they say there's no such break-in effect, they'll upset people who're convinced they hear a significant break-in effect, which could impact sales.

Jun 12, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #7,990 of 20,796
"Smartly" is right. If Focal says that there's a significant audible mechanical break-in effect, they'll look like fools to people who have enough technical background to understand this stuff. If they say there's no such break-in effect, they'll upset people who're convinced they hear a significant break-in effect, which could impact sales.

"I know everything."

Jun 12, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #7,991 of 20,796
Jun 12, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #7,993 of 20,796
And where are these damn pretty cables coming from?
It's a 5ft Norne Audio Draug Silver terminated with 1/4" Oyaide plug on the amp side and Lemo connectors for my Utopias.
Check my first impressions in this same thread HERE.

EDIT: edited the link with the right post.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #7,995 of 20,796

The underlying issue with a question like this is the notion that someone else can tell you how YOU are going to react. "A really big upgrade"..."the last step to have the one and only headphone"... That's like asking someone else whether you should marry that girl (or boy) you like. Nobody else has your ears, your head and your priorities. Only you can tell whether it's comfortable on your head, whether you like the way it sounds, whether it's worth it, etc., etc. Considering the cost, it's worthwhile for you to go to a show to try them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back