Focal Utopia General Discussion
Feb 22, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #6,451 of 20,624
I think if the Utopia had done Clear and included a shorter cable in the with package I would probably not have purchased an aftermarket cable. The main reason I did was the weight and size of the stock cable. Nothing to do with quality or sound of it for me though.

Feb 22, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #6,454 of 20,624
I am enjoying my pair for a few days now, and don't even have time to really listen to it, work and family :), driving it with Audio GD R2R-11, and wondering: should I be concern upgrading my gear? Perhaps there is a soul here that went from R2R-11 and was wowed.
That is also the first thing came to my mind.
I've been comparing so good DAC for a while.
I heart a lot of good things about hugo2 but I also want to compare some R2R or ESS9038 pro chip DAC.
anyone experienced Master 7/ NFB 1.38 from audio GD paired with Utopia?

Feb 22, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #6,455 of 20,624
That is also the first thing came to my mind.
I've been comparing so good DAC for a while.
I heart a lot of good things about hugo2 but I also want to compare some R2R or ESS9038 pro chip DAC.
anyone experienced Master 7/ NFB 1.38 from audio GD paired with Utopia?

I've got a Sonica DAC, which is 9038-based. I'll soon receive a Denafrips Ares, which is R2R. So I'll be able to compare the two. Sonica is EVS-modded, so I expect it will surpass the Denafrips. However, I'm finding the Sonica/Utopia pairing a bit fatiguing (maybe too much detail?) so I'm hoping the Denafrips will relieve that a bit. We shall see. Of course, what I fear is that I'll like the R2R sound, and then start climbing the R2R ladder (Gumby, Pontus, Yggy, Holo...)

Will the madness never end?

Feb 23, 2018 at 7:32 AM Post #6,457 of 20,624
Thinking about upgrading my Focal Utopia cable.

28342879_1820535601313754_862249054_o.jpg

4M/13FT is a little too long to be honest. I modified the stock cable's 1/4" | 6.3mm plug to 4-Pin XLR but now the shielding within the cable is just adding undesired capacitance.

Feb 23, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #6,459 of 20,624
Stock cable is fine, just too long and heavy, the main caveat for me is that connector to the cup is sticking out too far. I bought the end connectors on ebay, and will make my own cable, all the talk about what kind a drastic difference cable makes, to me is just that, the talk. I will never spend more then say $150 on the cable, and even that just to have is nicer looking, softer ..
I also know I will get bitten for this comments :)

On the other thought: last night I had time to dedicate about 2 hours to Utopia, and in short: I don't regret a bit the purchase I made, these are the best I ever heard, Sennheisers, Stax, Fostex. There is another problem: now, I cant listen to nothing else. I will still keep HD650, and PortaPro (I know) the rest of my collection will be sold/given away.
Next is to look at the DAP, It is driven by R2R-11, and I think its great. Don't know if I need to worry about upgrading it.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #6,464 of 20,624
A pair of authentic Utopia Cables connectors is $75-100 depend on the configurations and where you buy it from, just saying.
Yikes! Not sure where you are getting your connectors, but authentic Lemo connectors should be $40-60/pair. For example, here's a link to the connectors from Allied. Markertek has them too, but you have to call them (they are not on the web site).
Good wire from BTG Audio is $1/foot. For a 6' cable, $24. $48 for an 8 strand, maybe add $8 for braiding loss. Lot's of other places have good wire for ~$1 foot, or less. (Gothem, Mogami, Belden, Canare)
Neutrik 4-pin XLR from Markertek: $4.25
Assuming a simple heat shrink Y splitters:
$60 + $56 + $4.25 = a pretty good cable ($120.25).
Add a few bucks for para-cord or tech flex or other sleeve, and we are still well under $150. Could even add $20 for a fancy Y Splitter and stay under $150. :)

Of course, moving to more exotic wire will increase the price. I'm liking my silver/copper hybrid cable, but it uses solid core silver, which is not flexible. I've been thinking of trying some "pure silver" wire from AliExpress, but my confidence level just isn't high enough in the sellers. I'm just not sure silver plated wire will produce the same results as one put silver wire and two coppers of the same gauge.

I listened to the stock cable again, and dang, it allows for extremely detailed sound across the spectrum. I may just re-treminate it balanced, then coil a few feet and zip tie it right next to the plug. Voila, a shorter, balanced, $1000 cable :)

Feb 23, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #6,465 of 20,624
Yikes! Not sure where you are getting your connectors, but authentic Lemo connectors should be $40-60/pair. For example, here's a link to the connectors from Allied. Markertek has them too, but you have to call them (they are not on the web site).
Good wire from BTG Audio is $1/foot. For a 6' cable, $24. $48 for an 8 strand, maybe add $8 for braiding loss. Lot's of other places have good wire for ~$1 foot, or less. (Gothem, Mogami, Belden, Canare)
Neutrik 4-pin XLR from Markertek: $4.25
Assuming a simple heat shrink Y splitters:
$60 + $56 + $4.25 = a pretty good cable ($120.25).
Add a few bucks for para-cord or tech flex or other sleeve, and we are still well under $150. Could even add $20 for a fancy Y Splitter and stay under $150. :)

Of course, moving to more exotic wire will increase the price. I'm liking my silver/copper hybrid cable, but it uses solid core silver, which is not flexible. I've been thinking of trying some "pure silver" wire from AliExpress, but my confidence level just isn't high enough in the sellers. I'm just not sure silver plated wire will produce the same results as one put silver wire and two coppers of the same gauge.

I listened to the stock cable again, and dang, it allows for extremely detailed sound across the spectrum. I may just re-treminate it balanced, then coil a few feet and zip tie it right next to the plug. Voila, a shorter, balanced, $1000 cable :)

+1 I sourced all the parts for my modular cable build for the Utopia (except for the LEMO connectors and the Y split) and I think I came in around $200 for all the supplies (and I have pracord and wire left over).

zwlBnMJ.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back