Focal Utopia General Discussion
Feb 20, 2018 at 12:42 AM Post #6,437 of 20,543
Absolutely. If your power from the wall is really crappy, a power conditioner is probably a must. When I was at the Phoenix meet, one of my DAC had horrible static unless it was plugged into a power conditioner. I believe those are the exceptions, however, not the rule. As always, YMMV

The thing is, the P10 reads 1.8% THD coming out of my wall and the P10 regenerates it to .1%. I don't know if 1.8% is bad or about average. All I know is the Utopia I had went from good to amazing and I don't believe I have supersonic hearing. Noise is the enemy.

Feb 20, 2018 at 12:55 AM Post #6,438 of 20,543
The thing is, the P10 reads 1.8% THD coming out of my wall and the P10 regenerates it to .1%. I don't know if 1.8% is bad or about average. All I know is the Utopia I had went from good to amazing and I don't believe I have supersonic hearing. Noise is the enemy.
Egads, that thing is $5000! Did you try a perfect sine wave UPS from cyberpower or APC first?

Feb 20, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #6,439 of 20,543
Egads, that thing is $5000! Did you try a perfect sine wave UPS from cyberpower or APC first?

No I didn't try that. I got a really good deal on the P10 so I jumped on it. Glad I did. I discovered that as a system gets more resolving there are real gains to be had by addressing any power issues. Even my HD800 no longer sound bright to me. Same with the Utopia I auditioned. Money well spent.

Feb 20, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #6,441 of 20,543
So, after my usb-otg cable change and now using the Axios with the MOJO my sounds are straight visceral! And the thing called driver crackle is none existent, I have these things pumping kicks and bass. A punch in a face to me, I love it!.

Feb 22, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #6,443 of 20,543
Are there any good aftermarket cables for Utopia that cost under $500?

Some folks like the Dragons Black is about 425, Silver is a bit more.

Feb 22, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #6,445 of 20,543
Are there any good aftermarket cables for Utopia that cost under $500?
What are you looking for? Shorter? Lighter? Balanced? Colors? Thickness? Different sound signature?

Feb 22, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #6,446 of 20,543
I am enjoying my pair for a few days now, and don't even have time to really listen to it, work and family :), driving it with Audio GD R2R-11, and wondering: should I be concern upgrading my gear? Perhaps there is a soul here that went from R2R-11 and was wowed.

Feb 22, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #6,447 of 20,543
I am enjoying my pair for a few days now, and don't even have time to really listen to it, work and family :), driving it with Audio GD R2R-11, and wondering: should I be concern upgrading my gear? Perhaps there is a soul here that went from R2R-11 and was wowed.
Gear can always be upgraded. Once you start, it's hard to stop. If you can be happy with what you have, you are happy.

If you are interested in upgrading, then I recommend you listen to other great at meet-ups and at dealers. You can also go to CanJams or other audio shows, but it's very hard to listen at those events.

If you upgrade, determine what it is you want from new gear, and what it is you don't like about what you have now. Other wise you are just chasing gear and you will never be happy. It's perfectly OK to say you just want to try new stuff, but there be monsters there! :)

Feb 22, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #6,448 of 20,543
Gear can always be upgraded. Once you start, it's hard to stop. If you can be happy with what you have, you are happy.

If you are interested in upgrading, then I recommend you listen to other great at meet-ups and at dealers. You can also go to CanJams or other audio shows, but it's very hard to listen at those events.

If you upgrade, determine what it is you want from new gear, and what it is you don't like about what you have now. Other wise you are just chasing gear and you will never be happy. It's perfectly OK to say you just want to try new stuff, but there be monsters there! :)
Yes, I've been chasing this audio Dragon for a while now, with small bursts of happiness and then back to the unsatisfactory level. lol

Feb 22, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #6,449 of 20,543
Stock cables on Utopia is probably the best I have seen for a stock cables. It has proper shield, large sizes OFC wires. Yes, upgraded cables can bring about improvements, but not all 3rd party cables would be considered an upgrade, speaking from both (experiences and technical stand points)

IMO, Utopia is neither bright nor having any peaks....my only complaint is the Soundstage ! Yes it is beautifully spherical but it is not enough! For my taste, I guess 009 and T2 spoil me too much

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back