Focal Utopia General Discussion
Oct 30, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #5,206 of 20,602
The agony of choice:
1.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #5,208 of 20,602
The agony of choice:
1.jpg

I see you're using the Utopia's with the Black Dragon cable, I'm trying to decide which cable to get for my Utopia and I'm leaning towards the Black Dragon based from experience with using it. Does it pair well with the Utopia's? TYIA

Oct 30, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #5,209 of 20,602
I see you're using the Utopia's with the Black Dragon cable, I'm trying to decide which cable to get for my Utopia and I'm leaning towards the Black Dragon based from experience with using it. Does it pair well with the Utopia's? TYIA

I am very satisfied with my two Black Dragon cables for Focal Utopia. One is 2.5mm TRRS for A&K players, the other one with 6.35mm termination for use with my Hugo 2. The Black Dragon cables sound quite resolving and very natural to my ears. They do not add anything particular to the sound of the Utopia and this is exactly what I was looking for. I personally prefer copper over silver for use with the Utopia. You cannot go wrong with this cable, imho.

Oct 30, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #5,210 of 20,602
Glad to have finally joined the Utopia club after hearing them at CanJam NYC earlier this year! Now, to read up on aftermarket cables ... the obsession never stops ...
Haha, that's where I heard them. It was instant love. I'll be joining the club in November.

Oct 30, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #5,212 of 20,602
Can you explain why?

Silver cables normally sound brighter, with more treble energy than copper cables. There may be exceptions, however. As I use my Utopia (not a too dark sounding headphone for sure) with solid-state gear instead of (darker sounding) tube gear, I personally prefer copper cables.

Oct 30, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #5,213 of 20,602
Alright so I have a brand spanking new pair of focal utopias coming I receieved in a trade (it’s funny how the world works in your favour sometimes) anyway quick questions. I want some cables, will pay about 2-300 max I’m sorry I just dont beleive in the snake oil that is cables and don’t want to go into that in this thread.

I’m just wondering is there are any recommendations for cheap cables for the utopia in that price range? I just cant live with the massive long 13 foot cable it comes with.

Can the cable it comes with be made shorter?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #5,214 of 20,602
Alright so I have a brand spanking new pair of focal utopias coming I receieved in a trade (it’s funny how the world works in your favour sometimes) anyway quick questions. I want some cables, will pay about 2-300 max I’m sorry I just dont beleive in the snake oil that is cables and don’t want to go into that in this thread.

I’m just wondering is there are any recommendations for cheap cables for the utopia in that price range? I just cant live with the massive long 13 foot cable it comes with.

Can the cable it comes with be made shorter?

Thanks for any help.

Congrats but did you try searching this thread? There’s plenty of recommendations.

Oct 30, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #5,216 of 20,602
Anybody happen to know if pilfering the Lemo connectors from the stock cable will void the entire warranty?

I want to make a custom cable, but black lemo connectors seem to be impossible to find.

Only on the cable. If you don’t care about the cable being warranted then you can do whatever you like ...shorten it or whatever change you’d like.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Oct 30, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #5,219 of 20,602
The most economical route would be to find someone local who has soldering skills and have the Focal cable shortened to the desired length. Just ask around.

That is exactly what I’m looking at now haha. From a few posts I’ve read many people prefer the stock cable to the after market its just to darn long but is very good quality I have an electrician friend who can probably do this lol, if it was just 2 meters or 6 feet not 13 feet, who does that? Focal :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back