Focal Utopia General Discussion
Oct 28, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #5,191 of 20,554
If these two are considered “on a budget” I wonder what not on a budget looks like.. possibly a Chord Dave+Utopia... from what I’ve read not a good combination though.

The Dave isn’t really built for headphones right?? I have heard those two blend well...

Not built for headphones??????Tell that to the community here that reveres the Dave and uses it with headphones all the time.....in addition although I am not the biggest fan of the utopia its efficiency makes it a great choice with the Hugo 2 and it sounds quite nice

Oct 28, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #5,193 of 20,554
actually it sounds wonderful

Not built for headphones??????Tell that to the community here that reveres the Dave and uses it with headphones all the time.....in addition although I am not the biggest fan of the utopia its efficiency makes it a great choice with the Hugo 2 and it sounds quite nice

I totally agree on both counts! :)

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #5,195 of 20,554
Compared to a dave, the H2 is positively ghetto.

The H2 might be good for portable, but for $2k I would recommend. Gumby/MJ2, assuming the space is there on your desk. Heck, I’m not convinced a Gumby is really needed over a bimby, but many are. I’m very happy with bimby, Mj2, and utopia. It all depends on how fine tuned your ears are. If you are like me, gross differences are easier to hear, and subtle differences are almost impossible to hear, the DAC is much less important (assuming it’s a good DAC). Heck, a mimby with any of the other Schiit tube amps for that matter; better than all my other headphones.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #5,196 of 20,554
Why is the term budget seen and used in a negative context?

We are all on a budget (or should be if we don't manage our finances). It's just that some people have larger or smaller numbers in their budgets than others.

Regards
GG

Oct 28, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #5,197 of 20,554
Why is the term budget seen and used in a negative context?

We are all on a budget (or should be if we don't manage our finances). It's just that some people have larger or smaller numbers in their budgets than others.

Regards
GG
Because it’s universally accepted that budget, when used as an adjective, means lower cost.

Oct 28, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #5,199 of 20,554
Glad to have finally joined the Utopia club after hearing them at CanJam NYC earlier this year! Now, to read up on aftermarket cables ... the obsession never stops ...
Ahhhhh, CanJam NYC: the weekend that postponed my projected retirement date by a year. :wink:

The nice thing about the Utopias is that they make whatever setup you have sound the best that it possibly can. I thought they sounded great with the stock cable and a Mojo with Audioquest Evergreen interconnects, and as I upgraded other parts of my setup they just got better and better...... welcome to the club. :smile_phones:

Oct 29, 2017 at 2:12 AM Post #5,202 of 20,554
Compared to a dave, the H2 is positively ghetto.

The H2 might be good for portable, but for $2k I would recommend. Gumby/MJ2, assuming the space is there on your desk. Heck, I’m not convinced a Gumby is really needed over a bimby, but many are. I’m very happy with bimby, Mj2, and utopia. It all depends on how fine tuned your ears are. If you are like me, gross differences are easier to hear, and subtle differences are almost impossible to hear, the DAC is much less important (assuming it’s a good DAC). Heck, a mimby with any of the other Schiit tube amps for that matter; better than all my other headphones.

“Compared to a dave, the H2 is positively ghetto”

Keep dreaming, I owned a dave, but I guess people that spend that type of cash on a dac need to feel special, sold mine and got a h2 and I’m still just as happy as I was with the dave I just have more cash to spend on the side and quite honestly spending that much on a dac the returns going upwards from a h2 I noticed are so far dimished it just wasn’t worth it > for me < so I got rid of it.

“The H2 might be good for portable, but for $2k I would recommend. Gumby/MJ2“

For 2k there’s a heap better gear you can buy than schiit, but putting chord up against schiit as great as their peoducs are, compared to build quality, sound etc and yes the fact that h2 is portable on top but has always resided on my desk (but lets face it the only truly portable one was mojo) is really a no contest chord stomps it, if the chord sound is what your looking for. Build quality chord takes a massive dump on the schiit tin can material.

Oct 29, 2017 at 2:22 AM Post #5,203 of 20,554

Keep dreaming, I owned a dave, but I guess people that spend that type of cash on a dac need to feel special, sold mine and got a h2 and I’m still just as happy as I was with the dave I just have more cash to spend on the side and quite honestly spending that much on a dac the returns going upwards from a h2 I noticed are so far dimished it just wasn’t worth it > for me < so I got rid of it.

For 2k there’s a heap better gear you can buy than schiit, but putting chord up against schiit as great as their peoducs are, compared to build quality, sound etc and yes the fact that h2 is portable on top but has always resided on my desk (but lets face it the only truly portable one was mojo) is really a no contest chord stomps it, if the chord sound is what your looking for. Build quality chord takes a massive dump on the schiit tin can material.
The dave is very well built. The H2 not so much. Glaring lights and plastics seams that don’t quite match up, and that leak light. I realize the to some people hear chord can do no wrong, and to others the same for Schiit. I not a Schiit fanboy, but I do find it offers very good value. When talking about “budget gear”, Schiit is hard to beat. When talking about value, the same.

Oct 29, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #5,204 of 20,554
Anybody interested in checking out the Smyth-Research Realiser A-16 surround sound processor when it comes out? I keep wondering how great Utopia will be to watch movies/play games with.

newA16_headstand%20Jan%202017%20440660.jpg

Oct 30, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #5,205 of 20,554

I have to say even on a "budget" set up lol, the Chord Mojo being fed to a very very budget friendly Elemental Watson amp is excellent. I don't know if I would be described as a Chord fanboy but I am definitely a fan none the less. I get so much body to the sound and added depth from Chord. I want to try the dang Hugo 2 we got here but trying to hold out to keep it new for someone. I just have heard from multiple people how good the Utopia/Hugo 2 combo is.

Here’s my “shot” at a nice serene Utopia moment to end on. Just unwrapped the stand. I am happy to report how sturdy they are!C572E532-90B0-4F3C-9355-369B70C98E0E.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back