Focal Utopia General Discussion
Oct 31, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #5,237 of 20,550
Ahhhhh, CanJam NYC: the weekend that postponed my projected retirement date by a year. :wink:

The nice thing about the Utopias is that they make whatever setup you have sound the best that it possibly can. I thought they sounded great with the stock cable and a Mojo with Audioquest Evergreen interconnects, and as I upgraded other parts of my setup they just got better and better...... welcome to the club. :smile_phones:
Hello, that is the exact setup I'm going for myself when I purchase my items next month. How great was the volume out of the Mojo when powering the Utopia?

Oct 31, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #5,238 of 20,550
I absolutely agree with you. This is exactly what I experienced in all of my comparisons with copper and silver conductors cables. All my cables but power are now silver. Bigger the gauge, better the results. But of course it's more money. The problem is once you experienced the difference, you can't go back to copper. With copper, the sound seem thick, closed, slow and veiled in comparison of silver.

I am not against silver conductors in general, it is a matter of synergy in different setups and with different headphones. Both SP1000 SS and Utopia are extremely resolving, so I do not want to change the tonality to the analytical/bright side. On the other hand, when I had the HEK V1, I preferred a silver cable. Also silver/gold can be an interesting combination, making sound differences at both ends of the frequency spectrum compared to copper cables.

Oct 31, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #5,239 of 20,550
Hello, that is the exact setup I'm going for myself when I purchase my items next month. How great was the volume out of the Mojo when powering the Utopia?
The Utopias are easy to drive and the Mojo can get amazingly loud. I've never cranked it up all the way with the Utopias or any headphones, and wouldn't want to. :smile_phones: I'm sure you'll have no problem achieving whatever volume you like, and you will have extra rainbow colors to spare.

Oct 31, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #5,241 of 20,550
The Utopias are easy to drive and the Mojo can get amazingly loud. I've never cranked it up all the way with the Utopias or any headphones, and wouldn't want to. :smile_phones: I'm sure you'll have no problem achieving whatever volume you like, and you will have extra rainbow colors to spare.
Lol, thanks for the info, if volume was a color I'm on red.

Oct 31, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #5,242 of 20,550
Anyone use any sort of cleaner on the earpads and headband? Leather cleaner wipes maybe? Need to learn to take better care of my headphones now that they're running the same price as a decent used Honda.
I use a little "Kiwi Leather Lotion" every month or so, it's suppose to prevent leather from drying or cracking. If nothing else, it sure makes the ear pads and headband smell nice for a few days.

Oct 31, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #5,243 of 20,550
I use a little "Kiwi Leather Lotion" every month or so, it's suppose to prevent leather from drying or cracking. If nothing else, it sure makes the ear pads and headband smell nice for a few days.

Can you send a link to it on Amazon please?

Nov 1, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #5,245 of 20,550
......with the CLEAR PADS.....i am spechless....the UTOPIA sounds for me FANTASTIC-GREAT-PERFECT!!

IMG_0704.JPG

IMG_0702.JPG

Regards from Austria

NOMAX

Nov 1, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #5,247 of 20,550
I like the contrasted look. and I prefer the suede-y type feel over leather-like stuff.

After checking Focal s site the fabric is a microfibre.
They also are showing an available HP stand, don't think I've ever seen it offered over here in conjunction with any of their HP's.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #5,249 of 20,550
It also looks ugly as hell haha, No thanks, I will just use mine with the pads that’s made for it when it arrives today

This made me laugh so hard... hahaha .. someone going to say “The sound is SPECTACULAR with these ear pads” LOL

Nov 1, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #5,250 of 20,550
This made me laugh so hard... hahaha .. someone going to say “The sound is SPECTACULAR with these ear pads” LOL

I don’t care if the sound changes at all with those pads, if they were intended for the utopia focal would of sent them with it, and they just cheapen the look of the entire set up.

If I want those pads I will just buy the clears, seems he might prefer the clear sound better and wasted his money on the utopias because the only thing I can see happening when you change pads with other products is trying to acheive a sound sig that’s not intended or are going for comfort which by the looks of it the utopia has lamb skin leather cups anyways.

I don’t get it and from what others have said changing the pads with the elear anyway made the utopias worse and the clear pads are even thinner and more airier, no thanks, may as well use ear buds :) . Each to their own though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back