Focal Utopia General Discussion
Oct 20, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #4,951 of 20,554
Most people have something they are willing to spend way more money on than other people. Cars. Watches. Clothes. Shoes. Concerts. Jewelry. Kids. Wine. Food. Vacations. Phones. It's all about personal preference that leads to priorities.

headphones isn't the dumbest hobby (though possibly close to) :), but there are many ways to "get the best" and spend way more than "needed". People that don't "get" the headphone hobby probably have something they spend way too much money on that we don't get.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #4,952 of 20,554
Talk about spending way too much on crazy stupid stuff... this is the most I ever spent on a headphone cable. About 15 hrs into 50 hr recommended burn in for lazuli reference danacable and of course, I am going to cheat and have a listen.

The very first thing I noticed is the prominence of the bass. I had to do a double take to make sure I don't have my Z1Rs on. Then I realized this is what the base is suppose to sound like if there is nothing getting tripped or impeded through the cable. I never thought the Utopias were bass light, but it is still hard to believe these can make this kind of sound. I realize the prominence is not just from boosting of the frequency, but from increased resolution that kind of permeates through without bothering any of the upper registers, your ears, or brain. The bass is unbelievably articulate with immense control.

The second thing I noticed, this is kind of funny to me... it is so much easier to understand the lyrics. I can even understand what Rihanna is saying!

Oct 20, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #4,953 of 20,554
Enjoying headphones for less then $100?! Come on man do you think we are all heathens???

JK I totally get what you mean. Like I have said before on this thread, I listen to a bunch of headphones in the store and then I end up just reaching for the Utopias. I am thankful that I can enjoy headphones that are less money, but it doesn't mean I have the self control to not reach for them when their in arms reach ha.

I hope others are able to enjoy music on any price level. Save up for what you want, but in the mean time enjoy the journey!!

What got me started on this Head-fi journey was someone telling me to go buy a pair of Denon D5K, so I was looking for something in the $500 range, not shopping for an amp or a dac cause what I had was pretty good right? Now I've spent enough that if I had saved it all I could buy a decent car brand new. And that makes me wonder if I'm a little too crazy and obsessive at this point? I know why I did it. It's a now or never moment and I've always been curious about high end but never able to afford it. I'm fortunate and grateful I have even have the opportunity to splurge on such toys! I did very much enjoy many moments with the Utopia.

Oct 20, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #4,954 of 20,554
Talk about spending way too much on crazy stupid stuff... this is the most I ever spent on a headphone cable. About 15 hrs into 50 hr recommended burn in for lazuli reference danacable and of course, I am going to cheat and have a listen.

The very first thing I noticed is the prominence of the bass. I had to do a double take to make sure I don't have my Z1Rs on. Then I realized this is what the base is suppose to sound like if there is nothing getting tripped or impeded through the cable. I never thought the Utopias were bass light, but it is still hard to believe these can make this kind of sound. I realize the prominence is not just from boosting of the frequency, but from increased resolution that kind of permeates through without bothering any of the upper registers, your ears, or brain. The bass is unbelievably articulate with immense control.

The second thing I noticed, this is kind of funny to me... it is so much easier to understand the lyrics. I can even understand what Rihanna is saying!

Haha, don't feel bad about the money spent... we all do it... as long as you are enjoying yourself, that's all that matters :)

I got the Lazuli Reference with the 30 day return in mind so it was worry free... but after I heard the cable I knew that I wouldn't be returning it.

Danacable's logo where they say "full spectrum sound" explains it pretty well... the whole spectrum of sound that you are used to hearing gets a significant boost in quality. It's like the stock cable is choking the sound somehow.

I completely agree with you about vocals... it sounds like the artist is right there in the room singing directly into your ear sometimes.

Oct 21, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #4,955 of 20,554
Does anybody know the difference between the LEMO FGG.0B.302.CLAD52Z and FGG.0B.302.CLAD52 (NO Z at the end)? Is it just a strain relief spring at the bottom of the connector? I would think that I would want to avoid the strain relief version as it will make the connector uneccessarily long on he head or on the headphone stand...

Oct 21, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #4,956 of 20,554
Does anybody know the difference between the LEMO FGG.0B.302.CLAD52Z and FGG.0B.302.CLAD52 (NO Z at the end)? Is it just a strain relief spring at the bottom of the connector? I would think that I would want to avoid the strain relief version as it will make the connector uneccessarily long on he head or on the headphone stand...
You are correct. The Z is for the collet. See page 54 of this link
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/232/unipole_multipole-973098.pdf

Oct 21, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #4,957 of 20,554
Oct 21, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #4,958 of 20,554
Most people have something they are willing to spend way more money on than other people. Cars. Watches. Clothes. Shoes. Concerts. Jewelry. Kids. Wine. Food. Vacations. Phones. It's all about personal preference that leads to priorities.
That is what I always say to my husband: "At least it is not jewelry!" :dt880smile: He agrees. He always shrugs and says "Well, you work hard."

It is totally necessary to have a bunch of different headphones. The Utopias are my go-to and get probably 80% of listening time, but it is great to have alternative....... l saw Ani DiFranco a couple of weeks ago, so I have been visiting her back catalog. ZMF headphones are great to reproduce her plucky guitar, wide soundstage concert kind of sound. Lately I've been listening to something else..... (and this is a HUGE confession here, if any of you people who I am taking into my confidence repeat this on Facebook or something I will deny I ever said it), but for the past two days I have been listening to the new album by one of the dudes who used to be in One Direction, and the pop-favorable tuning of Fostex is really the best...... for cheesy ex-boy band pop. :triportsad:

Oct 22, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #4,959 of 20,554
Hi, anyone has tried the utopia with egoista 845?
I currently am using headamp gsx mk2, thinking of changing to 845, it would be nice if there is any review thank you!

Oct 22, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #4,960 of 20,554
That is what I always say to my husband: "At least it is not jewelry!" :dt880smile: He agrees. He always shrugs and says "Well, you work hard."

It is totally necessary to have a bunch of different headphones. The Utopias are my go-to and get probably 80% of listening time, but it is great to have alternative....... l saw Ani DiFranco a couple of weeks ago, so I have been visiting her back catalog. ZMF headphones are great to reproduce her plucky guitar, wide soundstage concert kind of sound. Lately I've been listening to something else..... (and this is a HUGE confession here, if any of you people who I am taking into my confidence repeat this on Facebook or something I will deny I ever said it), but for the past two days I have been listening to the new album by one of the dudes who used to be in One Direction, and the pop-favorable tuning of Fostex is really the best...... for cheesy ex-boy band pop. :triportsad:
................ WHAT!?

Jk just messing. I can confess I have Madonna’s “Vogue” in my headphone A/B playlist just because I love listening to it lol.

When I am in the store I reach for the Utopia about the same amount! I have been on a kick for the HD800 and the Rogue RH5 combo due to synergy, but other then that it’s tough not to pull the Utopias

Oct 22, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #4,962 of 20,554
Curious as well as I have always had a craving to bring a GSX in to compare with my Moon 430.
The remote control volume is hard to lose though!

Oct 22, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #4,963 of 20,554
I admit, I was hating the Utopia. Felt like an assault when I first got them.

Not sure what has changed, they may have softened up, or my brain has adjusted (probably a major factor), but between that and having put a pair of Tesla 6922's in the Schiit Mjolinar 2, they are the only HP I use now.

Oct 22, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #4,964 of 20,554
Oct 22, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #4,965 of 20,554
Haha, don't feel bad about the money spent... we all do it... as long as you are enjoying yourself, that's all that matters :)

I got the Lazuli Reference with the 30 day return in mind so it was worry free... but after I heard the cable I knew that I wouldn't be returning it.

Danacable's logo where they say "full spectrum sound" explains it pretty well... the whole spectrum of sound that you are used to hearing gets a significant boost in quality. It's like the stock cable is choking the sound somehow.

I completely agree with you about vocals... it sounds like the artist is right there in the room singing directly into your ear sometimes.

Really Expensive EQ lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back