Focal Utopia General Discussion
Sep 15, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #392 of 20,624
.... my Utopia with Silver Dragon cable beats the HD800S in every respect, except for soundstage.

......It's hard to believe that I'm experiencing more eargasm with the Utopia+Yggy,Rag combo than the Blue Hawaii+SR009 combo and the Dave+LCD4 combo.

How much difference did the Silver Dragon cable make to Utopia's sound?

Also, were the Utopia/SR009/LCD4 listening sessions done at the same time and place?

Sep 15, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #394 of 20,624
How much difference did the Silver Dragon cable make to Utopia's sound?

Also, were the Utopia/SR009/LCD4 listening sessions done at the same time and place?

Honestly, I don't think the Silver Dragon cable made much difference. I just could drive the Utopia more effeciently, since the cable was balanced.

the Utopia/SR009/LCD4 listening sessions were done at different places, so you should take my words with a few grains of salt.

Sep 15, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #395 of 20,624
Serventsaber- how intense (which areas) were the 'eargasms' compared to SR009?

When I compare different headphones, I always listen to Brian Culbertson's So Good (Live from the Inside ver).
Listening to SR009, I was impressed by the clarity, but didn't get the 'eargasm'. I felt that SR009's presentation of the music was too analytical. I wasn't head banging during the listening session, which indicates to me that there was no moment of eargasm.

However, when I was listening to the same music with Utopia, I couldn't believe how So Good sounded SO GOOD!! :p
The Utopia presented the music with intense clarity, yet with euphony. I was head banging for sure, so I was having eargasm during the moment. This headphone definitely performs up to its name.

Sep 15, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #397 of 20,624
Audeze LCD-X ($2000) vs Focal Elear ($1000)

Audeze strikes back with this one.  I’d first like to say that these two headphones have more in common than they have in difference.  But at the end of the day, the LCD-X does better in most respects.  I think we started seeing hints of this with the first Beyer T1 comparison, but listening to the bass section of the LCD-X, I felt that the Elear was almost a tad less controlled and a bit billowy in the lower frequencies.  The LCD-X punched fairly hard and the initial wow factor of the Elear’s bass started wearing off as the technical performance of the LCD-X in the lower frequencies came through.  Mids are similar to the previous comparison.  The LCD-X has slightly more energy and more texture than the Elear.  The highs are what really changed the whole game though.  With the improved upper frequency response of the LCD-X, I found that it was much more articulate and present than that of the Elear.  It seemed that the Elear’s higher frequencies weren’t very well-defined and a little flat.  The lack of positive texture on the Elear became apparent.  Soundstage wise, things changed a bit.  The Focal still maintained a lead in depth, but the Audeze was now competitive in both height and width.  Imaging on the LCD-X is better than the Elear.  I did not experience weird placements with the Vangelis track.  Separation and air is roughly tied.  General detail retrieval on the LCD-X is better than the Elear.  It’s clear that there is more resolution. Overall, I’m also going to be putting the LCD-X on my possible purchase list, but it’s really heavy and also much more expensive than the Elear.

The LCD-X is really a great headphone.  If it wasn't so darn heavy on the head ( I am listening to my pair right now, and my neck is screaming at me already after just 30 minutes) it would be REALLY special stuff.  But, as you stated it comes at considerable more cost.  Thank you for your excellent work here making all these comparisons.  

Sep 15, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #398 of 20,624
To each their own. I found the LCD-X to be bass-centric and veiled. Smashed treble presence and way too heavy and cumbersome to wear for extended periods. A very unbalanced headphone sonically IMHO, but I would apply that label to every Audeze product I have heard. YMMV.

Sep 15, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #399 of 20,624

The LCD-X is really a great headphone.  If it wasn't so darn heavy on the head ( I am listening to my pair right now, and my neck is screaming at me already after just 30 minutes) it would be REALLY special stuff.  But, as you stated it comes at considerable more cost.  Thank you for your excellent work here making all these comparisons.  

Hey no prob!  It's great for the neck muscles....

To each their own. I found the LCD-X to be bass-centric and veiled. Smashed treble presence and way too heavy and cumbersome to wear for extended periods. A very unbalanced headphone sonically IMHO, but I would apply that label to every Audeze product I have heard. YMMV.

Hmm, interesting.  I didn't find the LCD-X to be veiled.  It could perhaps be applied to the LCD-2.  Like you said though, different preferences and descriptions.  Cheers!

Sep 15, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #400 of 20,624
Compared to the HD800/HD800S/modded HE6, the LCD-X was like listening through an old footy sock for me. But to each their own. I have learned that everyone hears things differently, and we all have different perceptions and preferences. So YMMV applies to just about anything in the audio world.

Sep 16, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #401 of 20,624
Compared to the HD800/HD800S/modded HE6, the LCD-X was like listening through an old footy sock for me. But to each their own. I have learned that everyone hears things differently, and we all have different perceptions and preferences. So YMMV applies to just about anything in the audio world.

Definitely, against those three the Audeze could come across as being veiled.  
tongue.gif
  However, against the Elears it's more comparable.  

Sep 16, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #402 of 20,624

That's because those headphones are bright, especially the face-tweeters that are the HD800s (I love all of those transducers, but really anything besides most Beyers, most Grados, etc. will sound less bright). I have not heard LCD-X and have zero interest since owning the HE-6, but the standard of comparison is dubious in this instance.

Also, the Utopia is fantastic from the ZDS.

Sep 16, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #403 of 20,624
That's because those headphones are bright, especially the face-tweeters that are the HD800s (I love all of those transducers, but really anything besides most Beyers, most Grados, etc. will sound less bright). I have not heard LCD-X and have zero interest since owning the HE-6, but the standard of comparison is dubious in this instance.

Also, the Utopia is fantastic from the ZDS.

I find the HD800S bright but really nothing special. The CD3000 for instance have a lot more sparkle without sounding sibilant or tiring, which to my ears ends up sounding as extra clarify and detail. If the Audeze are veiled compared the them, then it's definitely something I'm skipping.

I'm very curious about this Utopia thing. Wondering if there will be a shop with a demo room around here. I'd love to take the Z1R/CD3K/HD800S there and have a proper comparison. If the Utopia turn out to be that godlike, I could see myself selling all three and getting it instead (would even recover me some money) - but to be honest, I truly doubt that is possible.

Sep 16, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #404 of 20,624

I find the HD800S bright but really nothing special. The CD3000 for instance have a lot more sparkle without sounding sibilant or tiring, which to my ears ends up sounding as extra clarify and detail. If the Audeze are veiled compared the them, then it's definitely something I'm skipping.

I'm very curious about this Utopia thing. Wondering if there will be a shop with a demo room around here. I'd love to take the Z1R/CD3K/HD800S there and have a proper comparison. If the Utopia turn out to be that godlike, I could see myself selling all three and getting it instead (would even recover me some money) - but to be honest, I truly doubt that is possible.

I do not have the CD3K, but when the MDR-Z1R arrives I'll make sure to take it against the HD800S and the Utopia.  No doubt in my mind that this is a comparison that will absolutely have to happen.  

Sep 16, 2016 at 5:43 AM Post #405 of 20,624
  I do not have the CD3K, but when the MDR-Z1R arrives I'll make sure to take it against the HD800S and the Utopia.  No doubt in my mind that this is a comparison that will absolutely have to happen.  

Agree, three different price brands but definitely worth a good comparison. Hope you get that Z1R soon.
edit: If anyone in Europe wants to do a quick temporary switcharoo Utopia<>CD3K so we can compare, I'm game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back