Focal Utopia General Discussion
Mar 23, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #2,836 of 20,796
i'd love to talk about how the exaggeration of sub-bass has been a detriment to the recording industry and any expectation that a TOTL headphone should play into this trend is misplaced.

Mar 23, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #2,838 of 20,796
I'm in awe of the way the Utopia renders guitar!

From Physical Graffiti (remastered edition is a hidden audiophile gem) to Cowboy Junkies to close-miced baroque lute music...guitars definitely shine with this headphone. I think it has something to do with the speed of the attack, and the fact that the Utopia seems to be optimized for that mid to treble range where guitars usually do their thing.

Mar 23, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #2,839 of 20,796
does your knowledge of "music and the history of music" include knowing that the piano's lowest note extends below 10 hz or that the pipe organ extends to 20 hz and the harp goes below 30 hz as does the contrabassoon and the tuba? they're all "real instruments" producing sub-bass. try telling a pipe organist performing j s bach's toccata and fugue in d minor that he's playing "a party trick".

Just a couple corrections.  The lowest note of a normal grand piano is A0, with a fundamental frequency of 27.5 Hz, with the largest Bosendorfer going down to C0 at 16.35 Hz.  The lowest note of a harp is C1, at a fundamental frequency of 32.7 Hz.  A few organs will produce an 8 Hz fundamental (which requires a 64' pipe, so a LOT of space), however the lowest note with most organs is C0 at 16.35 Hz.  However, there are very few pieces of music that ask for the player to actually PLAY those notes (Bach's Toccata and fugue in d goes down to D1 as scored, however many performers will play a D0 pedal note, Thus Sprake Zarathrustra has a sustained C1 organ note at the end of its introduction), so in fact most of the time reproduction of frequencies below about 30-40 Hz has more to do with recreating ambient noise rather than musical notes.

Mar 24, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #2,846 of 20,796
8 seconds. It's a cables with no moving parts

biggrin.gif

Contrary opinion

They are cables.  Certain ones can take several hundred hours

I have ALWAYS experienced this on my two channel system - both with cables (Naim and Chord) - and with electronics (Naim)

And for those who are not of the belief - go visit the Naim forum.

PS  I received my Kimber Axios this week for the Utopia.  Off of the cold truck and out of the box they sounded AWFUL.  Following day a remarkable improvement.  They continue to improve
PSS  received my Moon 430HA on Monday.  As per Simaudio written in the manual - 300 hours to burn in.  You can easily hear the changes

Mar 24, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #2,847 of 20,796
Contrary opinion

They are cables.  Certain ones can take several hundred hours

I have ALWAYS experienced this on my two channel system - both with cables (Naim and Chord) - and with electronics (Naim)

And for those who are not of the belief - go visit the Naim forum.

PS  I received my Kimber Axios this week for the Utopia.  Off of the cold truck and out of the box they sounded AWFUL.  Following day a remarkable improvement.  They continue to improve
PSS  received my Moon 430HA on Monday.  As per Simaudio written in the manual - 300 hours to burn in.  You can easily hear the changes
oh happy days bet your made up with it,on the Nordost instructions it says hundred hours burn in, I've just got them on now with the music on repeat. I haven't used my utopias for nearly a month will the rubber surround be quite tight again

Mar 24, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #2,848 of 20,796
I'm sure you will be very happy with your Nordost x Utopia combo as I did mine

Mar 24, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #2,849 of 20,796
I'm in awe of the way the Utopia renders guitar!

From Physical Graffiti (remastered edition is a hidden audiophile gem) to Cowboy Junkies to close-miced baroque lute music...guitars definitely shine with this headphone. I think it has something to do with the speed of the attack, and the fact that the Utopia seems to be optimized for that mid to treble range where guitars usually do their thing.

+1 ... no, better: +1000000000 
biggrin.gif

I love acoustic jazz and classical guitar, and Utopia is simply stunning with this kind of music. but also stunning with trumpet, and bass, and piano, and voices.... 
biggrin.gif

...actually, still have to find something these cans do wrong  
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back