Focal Utopia General Discussion
Mar 22, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #2,807 of 20,644
Hello audio friends.
Can anyone recommend an excellent cable for focal utopia?
I read in this thread that focal recommneds kimber axios cable... it's that true?
How about the Moon audio dragons? Black dragon or silver dragon?

Thanks for your help

David

I'm using the Moon Audio Silver Dragons (4 pin balanced into my GS-X MK2) and love what I'm hearing with them.

Mar 22, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #2,810 of 20,644
Hello audio friends.
Can anyone recommend an excellent cable for focal utopia?
I read in this thread that focal recommneds kimber axios cable... it's that true?
How about the Moon audio dragons? Black dragon or silver dragon?

Thanks for your help

David

I imagine Focal recommends its own stock cable, and focal dealers recommend the Axios. Not saying there's anything wrong with the Axios. Just saying. 

Mar 22, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #2,811 of 20,644
What cable helps make the soundstage larger, the black Dragon or the Silver Dragon?

Mar 22, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #2,812 of 20,644
What cable helps make the soundstage larger, the black Dragon or the Silver Dragon?

Cables can't do that...sorry. But I do find that the Silver Dragon picks up on minute details a bit better and thus can cast a more cohesive soundstage because of it. Though again, these are cables and the effects are not anywhere as profound as sources, DACs, amps and especially headphones.

Mar 22, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #2,813 of 20,644
  The Focal's have excellent sub-bass...the measurements back this up as do my low frequency sweeps (and measure quite similarly to the HE-6s for that matter and go down to 20Hz). I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree with you on the HE-6s...owned them for a few years, liked them...never, ever loved them. Don't miss them one iota as the LCD-4, Utopia and HE1000V2's have eclipsed them for me. 

Just in general (just to other HE-6 owners
wink.gif
), yes, I've heard the HE-6s through some very powerful and impressive speaker amps and my comments hold.

We all hear it differently - to me the Utopia has great bass presence and slam, but I prefer the HE6 bass. I just do (after a lot of A/B testing).

The LCD-4 I won't touch - too much noise over the broken treble for me to take a chance on a 4K headphone.

HE1000v2 definitely interests me. A more laid back headphone might be right up my alley.

Mar 23, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #2,814 of 20,644

We all hear it differently - to me the Utopia has great bass presence and slam, but I prefer the HE6 bass. I just do (after a lot of A/B testing).

The LCD-4 I won't touch - too much noise over the broken treble for me to take a chance on a 4K headphone.

HE1000v2 definitely interests me. A more laid back headphone might be right up my alley.

You're a good guy Tony. 
smile.gif
 I think the HE1000V2 is a great headphone as well and it is in my personal Top 5 (with the Utopias).

Mar 23, 2017 at 12:36 AM Post #2,815 of 20,644
easy boss.... you must have missed the part where i said:

"as an Audeze LCD-4 owner, and a fan of sub-bass in general (home system, cars, etc)"  and  "you might like it, and if so that's great.."

so let me repeat..... I LOVE BASS.  i love sub-bass.  i have two 15" powered subs in my house.  i have dedicated aftermarket subwoofers in my car.  i'd say i listen to rap, hip-hop and R&B 50% of the time. i also really like techno and synths and when it comes to 808's, it's all heartbreak to me baby.

BUT, i know enough about music and the history of music to know that it's a techno party trick.  so all the criticism the Utopia gets for not providing this party trick is bullsh*t.  the Utopia is purpose-built to recreate natural sound frequencies, not unnatural ones.  again, there are plenty of headphones like the Fostex monsters that you can go play Skrillex with.  don't look to the Utopia for that.  it's like criticizing a Mercedes S600 because it can't do burn outs and donuts in the parking lot.  

as for being an "old, crotchety guy"..... let me just ask - is that you in your avatar pic?

does your knowledge of "music and the history of music" include knowing that the piano's lowest note extends below 10 hz or that the pipe organ extends to 20 hz and the harp goes below 30 hz as does the contrabassoon and the tuba? they're all "real instruments" producing sub-bass. try telling a pipe organist performing j s bach's toccata and fugue in d minor that he's playing "a party trick".

Mar 23, 2017 at 1:33 AM Post #2,816 of 20,644
easy boss.... you must have missed the part where i said:

"as an Audeze LCD-4 owner, and a fan of sub-bass in general (home system, cars, etc)"  and  "you might like it, and if so that's great.."

so let me repeat..... I LOVE BASS.  i love sub-bass.  i have two 15" powered subs in my house.  i have dedicated aftermarket subwoofers in my car.  i'd say i listen to rap, hip-hop and R&B 50% of the time. i also really like techno and synths and when it comes to 808's, it's all heartbreak to me baby.

BUT, i know enough about music and the history of music to know that it's a techno party trick.  so all the criticism the Utopia gets for not providing this party trick is bullsh*t.  the Utopia is purpose-built to recreate natural sound frequencies, not unnatural ones.  again, there are plenty of headphones like the Fostex monsters that you can go play Skrillex with.  don't look to the Utopia for that.  it's like criticizing a Mercedes S600 because it can't do burn outs and donuts in the parking lot.  

as for being an "old, crotchety guy"..... let me just ask - is that you in your avatar pic?

does your knowledge of "music and the history of music" include knowing that the piano's lowest note extends below 10 hz or that the pipe organ extends to 20 hz and the harp goes below 30 hz as does the contrabassoon and the tuba? they're all "real instruments" producing sub-bass. try telling a pipe organist performing j s bach's toccata and fugue in d minor that he's playing "a party trick".

I think he's saying the bass you hear with rap, hipity hopity, EDM, and electro-music is generally not real bass, but generated frequencies. Real bass, as you point out, comes from real instruments and generally isn't as intense as with, say EDM, which artificially boosts the lower frequencies.

Mar 23, 2017 at 3:26 AM Post #2,818 of 20,644
Around two decades ago while I was testing before buying my first stand mount speaker. I was discussing with my friend which has better bass. The friendly dealer wanted to show us what Sub bass is. He pull out a pipe organ recording, playing the Dunlavy 4 speakers driven by some Coda electronics. OMG, it's low till you are not hearing it, but feels it. The false ceiling and glass doors are vibrating and shacking. Me and my friends ear drums have the pressure feeling, just like while the plane drops in altitude! It's an experience I still remember after 2 decades!

Mar 23, 2017 at 4:46 AM Post #2,820 of 20,644
yep, trouser flapping sub-bass was around long before it was synthesised
wink.gif

isnt that also what you get when Thunder from the skies hits your city/village hard and you can feel that vibrating deep sound ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back