Focal Utopia General Discussion
Sep 1, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #256 of 20,624
Depends who you ask. Not at all to my ears. Tyll LOVES bass. There are reports from proclaimed bass heads that love the Utopia bass as well.

Edit: To be clear, the lowest bass notes could use a small bump under 40Hz for me compared to the LCD-2, but nothing that has me thinking its sucked out.

Reference bass, for my personal taste of course, is the HE1000s . So, is Utopia bass in that level? That is the question ........

Sep 1, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #257 of 20,624

Well, that's great, but without an in-depth comparison to the SR-009 and Abyss, it's useless to me. (I think implying it's perfect is also something to avoid.) Too many audiophiles I trust say the Utopia can't beat those two, so I no longer have any interest in it.

here a review by someone
"
I have compared the Utopia to my Stax 009's:
Windows JRiver --> USB --> Lyr2 --> pre out --> Carver m4.0t amp --> Stax SRD-7 w/ OJ pro-bias mod --> SR-009
Windows JRiver --> USB --> Lyr2 --> Utopia

The 009's are brighter and leaner. Still tons of detail, airy-ness, speed, and smooth (plastiky?).
The Utopias are more balanced. The highs are not elevated. To me, just right. Still similar speed, detail. Super smooth on the highs. Not strident or sibilant at all.
The Utopias have more bass and mid bass which adds more body and richness. Makes the 009's sound leaner by comparison. But Utopias are not bass heavy at all. Just right for me.
Not sure about sound stage or imaging. I guess maybe the Stax are more open sounding, but you know me, I have to use Out Of Your Head to hear any kind of imaging.

Overall, I prefer the Utopias over the 009's and I have always LOVED the 009's.  

"

Sep 1, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #259 of 20,624
With all due respect I don't think that Stax setup could be considered as realising the best sonic qualities of the SR009.

Yup... should get a blue hawaii on that thing.

Sep 1, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #260 of 20,624
Are there little 1/4" Single Ended to 4-pin balanced converters available out there somewhere? Not with the intention of converting SE to balanced magically but to be able to plug the Utopia into a Balanced amp like the V281?

Sep 1, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #261 of 20,624
  Are there little 1/4" Single Ended to 4-pin balanced converters available out there somewhere? Not with the intention of converting SE to balanced magically but to be able to plug the Utopia into a Balanced amp like the V281?

nope, you can't go that way. You can convert balanced to SE, but not the reverse. 

Sep 1, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #262 of 20,624

nope, you can't go that way. You can convert balanced to SE, but not the reverse. 

Yeah that's what I mean, I think? Utopia SE 1/4" into the balanced 4-pin plug on the V281? That would be a balanced output to SE headphone.

Sep 1, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #263 of 20,624

Yeah that's what I mean, I think? Utopia SE 1/4" into the balanced 4-pin plug on the V281? That would be a balanced output to SE headphone.

right. you cannot plug or convert a SE plug into a balanced output

Sep 1, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #264 of 20,624

Thanks, then it will require getting a balanced cable for the Utopia. The V281 has SE outs but that's not where it sounds the best.

Sep 2, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #265 of 20,624

Thanks, then it will require getting a balanced cable for the Utopia. The V281 has SE outs but that's not where it sounds the best.

Or reterminate (or have reterminates). See http://www.head-fi.org/t/811273/focal-utopia-a-little-elear-impressions-and-discussion/240#post_12829849

Sep 4, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #266 of 20,624
Have a Utopia on its way for evaluation, I will be using the new DHC Prion4S balanced cable, with 2 x XLR 3 Pin plugs.

Sep 4, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #268 of 20,624
  Have a Utopia on its way for evaluation, I will be using the new DHC Prion4S balanced cable, with 2 x XLR 3 Pin plugs.

a blind test with original cable vs the DHC would be legendary.......

Sep 4, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #269 of 20,624

a blind test with original cable vs the DHC would be legendary.......

Will be doing that ss well as comparing to the current DHC Flagship the Silver Spore4.

Sep 4, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #270 of 20,624

Will be doing that ss well as comparing to the current DHC Flagship the Silver Spore4.

First off I would like to say Happy 2nd Anniversary for Headphone.Guru.  I am a huge fan of your reviews and your overall level of humor, detail, and passion.

Are you going to be conducting your review with both the stock cable and the DHC cables mentioned above?  I know most reviews are always conducted with the stock cable as a baseline, but if other cables are used they are often noted in a small sub section.  I'm a huge fan of Peter's cables, so I would be excited to know your opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back