Focal Utopia General Discussion
Aug 31, 2016 at 2:40 AM Post #241 of 20,624
Eeny, Meeny, Miny, Moe...

Too early for any real impressions yet, but these Utopias are certainly the real deal. They just sound "right".

Aug 31, 2016 at 7:00 AM Post #243 of 20,624
Aug 31, 2016 at 7:31 AM Post #244 of 20,624
Highly interested in this headphone. 1st headphone i ever heard that hardly to find any weakness tbh. 

Aug 31, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #245 of 20,624
Highly interested in this headphone. 1st headphone i ever heard that hardly to find any weakness tbh. 

Bass a little shy perhaps ...... .? Tyll said that in his review:cool:

Aug 31, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #248 of 20,624
Bass a little shy perhaps ...... .? Tyll said that in his review:cool:

Depends who you ask. Not at all to my ears. Tyll LOVES bass. There are reports from proclaimed bass heads that love the Utopia bass as well.

Edit: To be clear, the lowest bass notes could use a small bump under 40Hz for me compared to the LCD-2, but nothing that has me thinking its sucked out.

Aug 31, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #249 of 20,624
Anyone used the with the Hugo? And any comparisons against the HE1000?

Sep 1, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #250 of 20,624
Bit the bullet and re-terminated the stock Utopia cable with a Neutrik 4 pin XLR. It was super easy. Thanks to @FFRESPONSE for figuring out the wiring and doing his first.

Here's the wiring for a 4 pin XLR:

Green --> Left + --> pin 1
White --> Left - --> pin 2

Red -----> Right + --> pin 3
White --> Right - --> pin 4

Finally I can hear them balanced out of the Ragnarok. I have to say, the Rag is a step up from the Lyr2 w/ LISST or the Vali 2.

It just keeps getting better...

Sep 1, 2016 at 1:45 AM Post #251 of 20,624
Does the Utopia have more/less bass than Ether C?

Sep 1, 2016 at 1:46 AM Post #252 of 20,624
Does the Utopia have more/less bass than Ether C?

Much more. The Utopia slaughters the ETHER C in every category. I have the ETHER Flow (open) on hand and they are much better than the ETHER C, but still not at the Utopia level.

Sep 1, 2016 at 1:54 AM Post #253 of 20,624
Much more. The Utopia slaughters the ETHER C in every category.

How about the Ether Flow bass vs. Utopia's? Bass quantity, quality, etc.

Curious since the bass is supposed to be quite a step up on the Flow and Flow C from the originals.

Sep 1, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #254 of 20,624
How about the Ether Flow bass vs. Utopia's? Bass quantity, quality, etc.

Curious since the bass is supposed to be quite a step up on the Flow and Flow C from the originals.

I don't want to get too deep in to impressions yet given my burn-in experience with the ETHER C, which was very real to me (this from a previous non-believer of burn-in). The Flow has about seven hours on them right now.

Initial impressions are that the Flow upper-mid bass is slightly elevated and less controlled than the Utopia. Overall, bass on the Utopia is more textured but no less quantity than the Flow. The Utopia just has such a lifelike dynamism. This is it's single most differentiating characteristic to me. Utopia has more punch (dynamics) than the Flow, though not overwhelming at all. The Utopia sounds less like a headphone than any other headphone I've heard, the ETHER Flow still sounds like a headphone, but a really good one. Both feel much more balanced and much more resolving than the ETHER C.

Simply, my ETHER C is going to go in to storage hiding until I can have them upgraded to Flow C. You guys know I loved the ETHER C, but the new cans are just so much better. The Utopia that much more than the Flow, IMO, so far.

Like I said, initial thoughts, IMO, YMMV, bucket of salt......

Sep 1, 2016 at 2:41 AM Post #255 of 20,624
So I'm thinking I'll upgrade my Ether C to Flow for my main closed can and selling my LCD-4 to pick up the Utopia........need to hear the Utopia 1st of course

Users who are viewing this thread

Back