1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Focal Utopia General Discussion

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by Allanmarcus, Jun 14, 2016.
?

Has your utopia needed repair from your dealer or Focal, either under warranty or not?

1. Yes

23.9%
  2. No

61.6%
  3. I prefer not to answer

14.5%
First

Back
7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27
Next

Last
  1. darinf
    Eeny, Meeny, Miny, Moe...

DFA0003_6670G.jpg

DFA0048_6715GBW.jpg

Too early for any real impressions yet, but these Utopias are certainly the real deal. They just sound "right".

x RELIC x and HeadAmpTeam like this.
  2. Subhakar

http://youtu.be/djrH9GR9xO0
    1:00

3. FLTWS

Who makes those stands? Thanks

4. archeryc
    Highly interested in this headphone. 1st headphone i ever heard that hardly to find any weakness tbh. 

5. guguplex

Bass a little shy perhaps ...... .? Tyll said that in his review:cool:

6. james6333

He also said he wanted more bass out of the Elear which I think is already a bit ripe. Anymore than the Elear and it would be too much for me. I have not heard the Utopia yet.

7. AxelCloris Administrator

http://www.bendyhead.com

8. x RELIC x Contributor

Depends who you ask. Not at all to my ears. Tyll LOVES bass. There are reports from proclaimed bass heads that love the Utopia bass as well.

Edit: To be clear, the lowest bass notes could use a small bump under 40Hz for me compared to the LCD-2, but nothing that has me thinking its sucked out.

9. joshuachew
    Anyone used the with the Hugo? And any comparisons against the HE1000?

10. darinf
    Bit the bullet and re-terminated the stock Utopia cable with a Neutrik 4 pin XLR. It was super easy. Thanks to @FFRESPONSE for figuring out the wiring and doing his first.

Here's the wiring for a 4 pin XLR:

Green --> Left + --> pin 1
    White --> Left - --> pin 2

Red -----> Right + --> pin 3
    White --> Right - --> pin 4

Finally I can hear them balanced out of the Ragnarok. I have to say, the Rag is a step up from the Lyr2 w/ LISST or the Vali 2.

It just keeps getting better...

x RELIC x and ViperGeek like this.
  11. inthere
    Does the Utopia have more/less bass than Ether C?

12. x RELIC x Contributor

Much more. The Utopia slaughters the ETHER C in every category. I have the ETHER Flow (open) on hand and they are much better than the ETHER C, but still not at the Utopia level.

13. pervysage

How about the Ether Flow bass vs. Utopia's? Bass quantity, quality, etc.

Curious since the bass is supposed to be quite a step up on the Flow and Flow C from the originals.

14. x RELIC x Contributor

I don't want to get too deep in to impressions yet given my burn-in experience with the ETHER C, which was very real to me (this from a previous non-believer of burn-in). The Flow has about seven hours on them right now.

Initial impressions are that the Flow upper-mid bass is slightly elevated and less controlled than the Utopia. Overall, bass on the Utopia is more textured but no less quantity than the Flow. The Utopia just has such a lifelike dynamism. This is it's single most differentiating characteristic to me. Utopia has more punch (dynamics) than the Flow, though not overwhelming at all. The Utopia sounds less like a headphone than any other headphone I've heard, the ETHER Flow still sounds like a headphone, but a really good one. Both feel much more balanced and much more resolving than the ETHER C.

Simply, my ETHER C is going to go in to storage hiding until I can have them upgraded to Flow C. You guys know I loved the ETHER C, but the new cans are just so much better. The Utopia that much more than the Flow, IMO, so far.

Like I said, initial thoughts, IMO, YMMV, bucket of salt......

15. inthere
    So I'm thinking I'll upgrade my Ether C to Flow for my main closed can and selling my LCD-4 to pick up the Utopia........need to hear the Utopia 1st of course

First

Back
7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27
Next

Last