Focal Utopia General Discussion
Mar 11, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #2,566 of 20,796
I think the Aston Martin One77 is awesome, probably the best car ever made. At $3million it's good but at $100k is way better. Just the motor cost $265k to make ....this logic still confuses me. Some thing's cost more than what some individuals want it to cost. That's often the case with premier products.

bottom line with pretty much everything in life...if you can afford it then it is worth it....if you cannot then it isnt worth it......

Mar 11, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #2,567 of 20,796
bottom line with pretty much everything in life...if you can afford it then it is worth it....if you cannot then it isnt worth it......

That's a little pragmatic, don't you think? Life can be an aspiration and aspiring to own something you enjoy is what motivates us to make it happen. Just like goals in our lives.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Mar 12, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #2,571 of 20,796
Something can be unaffordable but still worth the money.

Whether it is sensible to buy something you can't quite afford is another matter entirely.

Are the Utopia worth $4k? Tough call-they are astonishingly good but the HEK v2 are very very nearly as good, if not as good and they're $1500 cheaper.

Take into account build quality (actually I have no problem with the HEK however the Utopia are undoubtedly better) and I still don't think they're quite there.

Would I spend $4k on them? Well I did and would have kept them had I preferred them to the HEK.

Mar 12, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #2,573 of 20,796
The whole question of whether any given piece gear is "worth it" doesn't make any sense. Are sublime $4000 headphones  "worth it"? If you have $4001 in your account, no. If you have $4,000,000 in your account, yes. 
lol that does not make any sense either

Of course it does. You may not agree with of understand basic economic theory, in which case please let us know what you don't agree with or understand, but just repeating "it doesn't make sense" is rather annoying.

If we work under the assumption that the Utopia is desireable to an individual, and we simplify describing that individual's financial situation as able to afford the headphone with little or no difficulty, or not able to afford the headphones, then we can simplify the decision to purchase. For the person able to afford the headphones, the purchase is "worth it" since the expenditure of funds will not adversely affect the buyer's ability to meet their other financial obligations, like eating, rent, taxes, transportation, familial support, and so on. If the purchase of the Utopia would significantly stress the buyer's ability to meet his/her financial obligations, then the purchase is not "worth it", as those obligations should be more important to the individual than the purchase of luxury headphones.

In other words, if you have to borrow money to buy the headphones, to a financially responsible person, that purchase would not be worth it. If you can meet all you financial obligations without borrowing money (except for a home purchase), then a luxury purchase like the uptopia is worth it.

The theory is referred to as the rational consumer. That said, here's a great article on "the irrational consumer".

But I completely digress away from the purpose of this thread. In order to get back on track I will point out that I finally finished my cable!

8 strand mogami W2799
Individually sleeved into ParacordPlanet 95 lb paracord
Bead purchased at a craft recycling store in Colorado Springs (10 for 25 cents, such a deal!)
Neutrik 4 Pin balanced connector

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #2,576 of 20,796

The whole question of whether any given piece gear is "worth it" doesn't make any sense. Are sublime $4000 headphones  "worth it"? If you have $4001 in your account, no. If you have $4,000,000 in your account, yes. 

agree 100%.

that's why almost every internet forum i visit talking about anything..... the question comes up: "but is ~fillintheblank~ really worth $X,XXX???"

and that's an impossible question to debate unless everyone has the exact same net worth and expenses.  

a silver headphone cable is probably not going to be worth the $500 for someone with a family making $25,000/year.  but that same $500 silver headphone cable is probably totally worth it to a retired millionaire.  

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #2,577 of 20,796
No it makes no since. Allenmarcus did you have $4million in your account when you bought the Utopia? If you did not then why would you knowingly make a purchase that's not worth it?

I have a 1/4 of that in my account, so purchasing these headphones has little to no impact on my ability to meet my short or long term financial needs. 

Basically, if it's a choice of paying the rent, paying for food, paying for medical care, paying for something one's children need, paying for school, or paying for anything else that one needs vs. paying for something someone simply wants, the rational (and responsible) consumer should pay for what is needed before paying for what is wanted. That is the economic theory. 

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #2,578 of 20,796
Also a purchase being worth it to an individual does not have to do with how much money is in your bank account it has everything to do with the perceived value of he actual purchase!

Absolutely! The economic theory of the rational consumer, however, assumes food, rent, and other necessities should have a higher perceived value than a luxury item.

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #2,580 of 20,796
Wow this is awesome I am talking to a millionaire this is a first. I'm kind of excited !!!

It's not had to get to a million now days. I imagine many of the over 50 crowd here with two working professionals in the house have a net worth close to or greater than a million. Get excited when you talk to a billionaire! I have not had that experience. 

To put that into perspective. If one starts at age 20 saving $361.04/month, earns 6% return, that person will have $1M at age 65. Save more, especially early on, and getting to $1M isn't that hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back