Focal Utopia General Discussion
May 31, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #17,656 of 20,644
I have money to spend on higher costing equipment, but unlike popular opinion it seems, plentiful happy with the Hugo 2. I happen to find it engaging and super detailed with the Utopia.

For fun, I added the Quicksilver Audio headphone amp. Gives a little more body warmth to the H2, still maintaining a lot of the transparency. But I still listen directly out of the H2 too. I just find it such a fulfilling experience.

If I do do another step, I think it would be to switch from stock cable to the Lazuli Ref. I'm skeptical it'll be that much better than stock but willing to give the benefit of the doubt. Hard to ignore all the word of mouth. But as far as the dac/amp, I'm not feeling much need to upgrade from here.
I went back and compared the original stock cable to the Danacable Lazuli last week just to make sure it wasn’t all in my head. At first when I switched back to stock I was surprised how good it sounded. But then I could tell the differences. The Danacable provides a blacker background so if feels more dynamic. Sort of the way an OLED tv has the ultimate black background and the colors pop. Then the vocals sound more realistic and airy. There is more clarity across the whole spectrum. And not sure how they achieve this but the mids are sweeter sounding. The guitar has more natural twangy sound. And it’s these mids that make it for me. They are there no matter what I’ve plugged them into. I did not get a chance to try it with the Hugo 2 but I’d imagine same improvements.

Last edited:
May 31, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #17,658 of 20,644
Well I got my LR cable. Pretty nice. So far, I think it sounds better, but I need more time. Fairly subjective not being able to really A/B. And I'm comparing to Black Dragon so...
Nice to hear. Hopefully it’s a worthwhile upgrade over the Black Dragon.

May 31, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #17,659 of 20,644
I went back and compared the original stock cable to the Danacable Lazuli last week just to make sure it wasn’t all in my head. At first when I switched back to stock I was surprised how good it sounded. But then I could tell the differences. The Danacable provides a blacker background so if feels more dynamic. Sort of the way an OLED tv has the ultimate black background and the colors pop. Then the vocals sound more realistic and airy. There is more clarity across the whole spectrum. And not sure how they achieve this but the mids are sweeter sounding. The guitar has more natural twangy sound. And it’s these mids that make it for me. They are there no matter what I’ve plugged them into. I did not get a chance to try it with the Hugo 2 but I’d imagine same improvements.
I'm a sucker for mids and vocals. You kinda sold it for me. Really appreciate you comparing it with stock. Cheers.

May 31, 2022 at 7:23 PM Post #17,660 of 20,644
I finally ended up, after having had to travel to a different city, at a local hifi dealer.

I ended up testing a Cayin CS-1H, a Violetric V380, the Naim Unity HE, and ultimately a Niimbus US5.

The Cayin tube smoothness was nice, but the resolution just wasn't there. The Violetric vs. Naim was an interesting battle, with the V380 being the objectively better hifi, but the Naim having a certain something, very homogeneous, that I really liked.

Then they brought out the Niimbus, and I was really impressed. This is the best I've objectively ever heard my Utopias.

Now I'm struggling: the Naim is such a cute all in one package, I really like the overall user experience, and the sound had something very intriguing that I can't put my finger on it. But the Niimbus was objectively better (it better be at nearly 2x the price and without the streamer / dac part). But I'd like to reduce clutter, and I'm not a particular fan of the Niimbus' design.

And to contribute to the Chord discussion above: I bought a Mojo 2 on the way out just before they closed, as a travel setup. Using it right now with my Utopias, and very much enjoying it, I think it is hard to beat in this price range, and with the mobility.
I have the niimbus 4 and have no intention/yearning to look for another solid state amp. I use it with utopias and susvara (reason i bought it).
i did see a 5 pro in the classifieds the other day if that might be of interest - it was mentioned in a niimbus us4/5 thread

May 31, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #17,661 of 20,644
I finally ended up, after having had to travel to a different city, at a local hifi dealer.

I ended up testing a Cayin CS-1H, a Violetric V380, the Naim Unity HE, and ultimately a Niimbus US5.

The Cayin tube smoothness was nice, but the resolution just wasn't there. The Violetric vs. Naim was an interesting battle, with the V380 being the objectively better hifi, but the Naim having a certain something, very homogeneous, that I really liked.

Then they brought out the Niimbus, and I was really impressed. This is the best I've objectively ever heard my Utopias.

Now I'm struggling: the Naim is such a cute all in one package, I really like the overall user experience, and the sound had something very intriguing that I can't put my finger on it. But the Niimbus was objectively better (it better be at nearly 2x the price and without the streamer / dac part). But I'd like to reduce clutter, and I'm not a particular fan of the Niimbus' design.

And to contribute to the Chord discussion above: I bought a Mojo 2 on the way out just before they closed, as a travel setup. Using it right now with my Utopias, and very much enjoying it, I think it is hard to beat in this price range, and with the mobility.
Please describe the tonality of the Utopia/Mojo combo and what the bass is like.

May 31, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #17,662 of 20,644
I’m going against the popular opinion and I’m saying that Utopia’s with Danacable Lazuli Reference cable straight out of the DAVE is brilliant.
agreed, that is the combo I used to own

May 31, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #17,663 of 20,644

I have tried Niimbus US5 Pro with the Utopia, it is actually a very neutral and fast, and clean amp. There isn't much signature to it. And even with Utopia on Stock cable, it already gives the Utopia a very wide sound stage and very good bass attack and punches. It is a studio reference tuning amp that is extremely transparent and leave all the other coloration or tuning preference to your upfront equipment. Oh forgot to mention, it is built like a tank.

May 31, 2022 at 10:42 PM Post #17,664 of 20,644
Not sure if anyone has tried the Utopia with the much older AIO from Sony, the SONY TA-ZH1ES.

I have heard rave reviews of this combo even from a gentleman who owns the Primavera Trafomatic and the WA33 and loves his Utopia.

The form factor of the Sony TAZ would have been perfect for my desk.

Another amp I hear a great deal about that I would love to try with the Utopia is the Questyle CMA12 Master.

And lasty, the Vio V550. I hear that while Nimbus is more neutral, the V550 has a nice touch of warmth?

All second-hand reports, but more are always welcome.

The aforementioned amps I bring up only with respect to synergy with the Utopia, not for being the most expensive or all-out best amp or anything.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2022 at 3:29 AM Post #17,665 of 20,644
Not sure if anyone has tried the Utopia with the much older AIO from Sony, the SONY TA-ZH1ES.

I have heard rave reviews of this combo even from a gentleman who owns the Primavera Trafomatic and the WA33 and loves his Utopia.

Another amp I hear a great deal about that I would love to try with the Utopia is the Questyle CMA12 Master.

And lasty, the Vio V550. I hear that while Nimbus is more neutral, the V550 has a nice touch of warmth?

The aforementioned amps I bring up only with respect to synergy with the Utopia, not for being the most expensive or all-out best amp or anything.
I own and love the Sony TAZ for Utopia even over the high end Chord offerings, the DMP-Z1 and the CMA-12. The TAZ for me gets the balance between clinical and lush just right while maximizing what the Utopia does best - bass impact, stage depth and tonal balance. The Chord offerings are too clinical, lacking for me, that preferred and natural bass resonance/decay that dynamics do well. The CMA-12 is amazing at staging and sounds very “class A” but the mids are too forward for my liking.

Jun 1, 2022 at 3:30 AM Post #17,666 of 20,644
I own and love the Sony TAZ for Utopia even over the high end Chord offerings, the DMP-Z1 and the CMA-12. The TAZ for me gets the balance between clinical and lush just right while maximizing what the Utopia does best - bass impact, stage depth and tonal balance. The Chord offerings are too clinical, lacking for me, that preferred and natural bass resonance/decay that dynamics do well. The CMA-12 is amazing at staging and sounds very “class A” but the mids are too forward for my liking.
Thanks for sharing. I need to get me a TAZ.

Jun 1, 2022 at 6:56 AM Post #17,667 of 20,644
Please describe the tonality of the Utopia/Mojo combo and what the bass is like.
Will do when I get a bit more time with the device. Note that I’m not a bass head, listening pretty much exclusively to classical and jazz.

Jun 1, 2022 at 6:58 AM Post #17,668 of 20,644

That’s interesting. In my testing I went directly from the v380 to the Niimbus, skipping the 590 (which is the 550 with Dac). Will have to test that one as well next time.

Jun 1, 2022 at 7:06 AM Post #17,669 of 20,644
I have the niimbus 4 and have no intention/yearning to look for another solid state amp. I use it with utopias and susvara (reason i bought it).
i did see a 5 pro in the classifieds the other day if that might be of interest - it was mentioned in a niimbus us4/5 thread
Sorry for a quick OT on the Susvara: At the end of my session when the dealer was about to close down I got my first ever 5 min with the Susvara fed from the Niimbus.

I previously clearly preferred my Utopias to the 1000SE which I also audioned then, but must admit that the Susvara is a very special beast.

But how much power does that thing draw? The standard gain setting that got the Utopias to quite loud at 12pm volume setting could only get the Susvara to barely over whispering volumes. Had to switch the gain setting to even get it to normal listening mode.

Parenthesis closed back to Utopia now.

Jun 1, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #17,670 of 20,644
Sorry for a quick OT on the Susvara: At the end of my session when the dealer was about to close down I got my first ever 5 min with the Susvara fed from the Niimbus.

I previously clearly preferred my Utopias to the 1000SE which I also audioned then, but must admit that the Susvara is a very special beast.

But how much power does that thing draw? The standard gain setting that got the Utopias to quite loud at 12pm volume setting could only get the Susvara to barely over whispering volumes. Had to switch the gain setting to even get it to normal listening mode.

Parenthesis closed back to Utopia now.
From a standard xlr connection from a dac (4v) I feed the utopia a pre gain of -6 or -12 (same as he1000se) and the susvara +12db

With a slightly higher input (i think 5.6v from the holo may) i set the utopia at -12 and leave susvara at +12
And that’s with balanced headphone cables

I wouldn’t describe my listening as particularly loud or quiet

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back