Focal Utopia General Discussion
May 31, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #17,641 of 20,644
Nothing like the FiiO M17 for the Utopia with a fixed power supply in overear mode. But it’s not a dap, really. If mobility is required, the FiiO M15 does a very competent job.
A8AEDBD8-F3A1-49AD-8031-05BB2818F49B.jpeg
Agree 100%. Amazing synergy.

Trades blows with Ferrum stack with respect to synergy with the Utopia.

While the Utopia on the Ferrum is drier and perhaps a tad more resolving (and punchier), on the M17, it’s sweeter, smoother, and the Utopia midrange is at its finest.

So impressed with the M17 pairing that I am considering getting the K9 Pro for the Utopia.

May 31, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #17,645 of 20,644
I believe you. I don't enjoy the Utopia with Chord DACs. Others' mileage may vary of course.
Chord is interesting because when your first listen, you might think it sounds better just because you hear more detail and better separation. But they’re just not as musical or as enjoyable as other DACs. I found the Naim Atom HE did take a little while for me to get used to it’s sound but now love it. It doesn’t surprise me that there may be better solutions out there but still think it’s hard to beat for cost to performance. But go to know if going to spend Dave kind of money, there is better all in one solution.

May 31, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #17,646 of 20,644
I believe you. I don't enjoy the Utopia with Chord DACs. Others' mileage may vary of course.
Well, Hugo 2 ==> Utopia doesn't work for me. But Hugo 2 ==> Romi BX2+ ==> Utopia sounds great ... to my ears :)

Also to my ears,
mScaler ==> TT2 ==> Utopia
is near the pinnacle of 'Utopianess', although I slightly prefer
mScaler ==> TT2 ==> DSHA-3F ==> Utopia

I vacillate between Nickle and Amorphous core transformers in the 3F. Nickle adds bass, while Amorphous adds air.

And since I can't A/B
vs
I guess I'm unwilling to say how significant the preference is -- maybe just an excuse to hang onto a $3000 amp.

But, bottom line, I guess my mileage varied. Your ears/My ears, right?

Cheers!

May 31, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #17,647 of 20,644
I'd actually dare to say that the FiiO M17 with the Utopia is superior to the 3x price Chord Hugo TT2 with Utopia
I agree with many that Chord products are technically impressive but once the science experiment is over I find myself left with the question - “do I like it?”. My answer no matter what headphones I have used have always been “no”.

May 31, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #17,648 of 20,644
My assessment of Chord products is based off direct headphone out. I’m sure if you balance out their analytic nature with tube amps or a sweeter solid state amp, you might have a nice combo for the Utopia.

May 31, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #17,649 of 20,644
My assessment of Chord products is based off direct headphone out. I’m sure if you balance out their analytic nature with tube amps or a sweeter solid state amp, you might have a nice combo for the Utopia.
That’s not ideal. All you are doing is adding 2nd and 3rd order harmonics to the signal. You want to get it right out of the dac.

May 31, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #17,650 of 20,644
Well, Hugo 2 ==> Utopia doesn't work for me. But Hugo 2 ==> Romi BX2+ ==> Utopia sounds great ... to my ears :)

Also to my ears,
is near the pinnacle of 'Utopianess', although I slightly prefer

I vacillate between Nickle and Amorphous core transformers in the 3F. Nickle adds bass, while Amorphous adds air.

And since I can't A/B
vs
I guess I'm unwilling to say how significant the preference is -- maybe just an excuse to hang onto a $3000 amp.

But, bottom line, I guess my mileage varied. Your ears/My ears, right?

Cheers!
I'm sorry, I didn't realize there would be math word problems on this test. I'd like to request a postponement so I can study...

May 31, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #17,651 of 20,644
That’s not ideal. All you are doing is adding 2nd and 3rd order harmonics to the signal. You want to get it right out of the dac.
We’ll good to know. Guess in the end, Chord Dacs aren’t for me. At least not with the Utopia.

May 31, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #17,652 of 20,644
I finally ended up, after having had to travel to a different city, at a local hifi dealer.

I ended up testing a Cayin CS-1H, a Violetric V380, the Naim Unity HE, and ultimately a Niimbus US5.

The Cayin tube smoothness was nice, but the resolution just wasn't there. The Violetric vs. Naim was an interesting battle, with the V380 being the objectively better hifi, but the Naim having a certain something, very homogeneous, that I really liked.

Then they brought out the Niimbus, and I was really impressed. This is the best I've objectively ever heard my Utopias.

Now I'm struggling: the Naim is such a cute all in one package, I really like the overall user experience, and the sound had something very intriguing that I can't put my finger on it. But the Niimbus was objectively better (it better be at nearly 2x the price and without the streamer / dac part). But I'd like to reduce clutter, and I'm not a particular fan of the Niimbus' design.

And to contribute to the Chord discussion above: I bought a Mojo 2 on the way out just before they closed, as a travel setup. Using it right now with my Utopias, and very much enjoying it, I think it is hard to beat in this price range, and with the mobility.

May 31, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #17,653 of 20,644
I’m going against the popular opinion and I’m saying that Utopia’s with Danacable Lazuli Reference cable straight out of the DAVE is brilliant.

May 31, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #17,654 of 20,644
I’m going against the popular opinion and I’m saying that Utopia’s with Danacable Lazuli Reference cable straight out of the DAVE is brilliant.
I had that combo plus mscaler and I find I enjoy the Naim Atom HE more. The Dave was stunning for its technical ability but for me just getting lost in the music and tapping my feet, the Naim does it better. The Dave with Mscaler had me listening to how great the bass sounded or the layering but in the end, I found it less engaging except for the best recordings or maybe if just listened classical. But for rock, the Naim gets my vote.

Last edited:
May 31, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #17,655 of 20,644
I have money to spend on higher costing equipment, but unlike popular opinion it seems, plentiful happy with the Hugo 2. I happen to find it engaging and super detailed with the Utopia.

For fun, I added the Quicksilver Audio headphone amp. Gives a little more body warmth to the H2, still maintaining a lot of the transparency. But I still listen directly out of the H2 too. I just find it such a fulfilling experience.

If I do do another step, I think it would be to switch from stock cable to the Lazuli Ref. I'm skeptical it'll be that much better than stock but willing to give the benefit of the doubt. Hard to ignore all the word of mouth. But as far as the dac/amp, I'm not feeling much need to upgrade from here.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back