Focal Utopia General Discussion
May 30, 2022 at 11:11 PM Post #17,626 of 20,634
I have tried the Focal arche amp and Naim. But the best I have heard straight out all-in-one for the Utopia is the Esoteric N-05XD streaming DAC's headphone output. It is really at another level with Esoteric's proprietary r2r dac. The dynamic and punch of the bass is really at another level, strings are also so dynamic to a point that you can feel them plugging right next to your ears. Obviously, there are some Esoteric coloration to it, but it is so nice.
Wow. I got offered this Esoteric unit at a relatively low cost by a local dealer.

Was and continue to be too enamored with my Holo May to buy it blind.

May 30, 2022 at 11:17 PM Post #17,627 of 20,634
Wow. I got offered this Esoteric unit at a relatively low cost by a local dealer.

Was and continue to be too enamored with my Holo May to buy it blind.

I got the Holo May with Ferrum OOR stack with an additional Lumin streamer, the Esoteric N-05XD is here to simplify the setup to either N-05XD to OOR or simply using the N-05XD only and forget about the OOR. Ditching the Lumin streamer and LPS unit.

IMG_20220407_170711.jpg

Last edited:
May 30, 2022 at 11:20 PM Post #17,628 of 20,634
I got the Holo May with Ferrum OOR stack with an additional Lumin streamer, the Esoteric N-05XD is here to simplify the setup to either N-05XD to OOR or simply using the N-05XD only and forget about the OOR. Ditching the Lumin streamer and LPS unit.
Makes sense.

Worth considering as a future upgrade / separate setup.

Good to know the Utopia pairs well with the Esoteric. Thanks for the tip.

May 30, 2022 at 11:23 PM Post #17,629 of 20,634

I really liked the pairing of the Utopia with Esoteric N-05XD streaming DAC Amp. Very dynamic and detail sounding. Really good synergy with Utopia. This is the best all in one setup for Utopia I heard so far, even I own setups that is significantly more expensive than this all in one. This shows that the Utopia really scales with good synergy.

@Sajid Amit Actually posted a while ago. I paired with Silver-based cable. norne audio silver garde s3

Last edited:
May 30, 2022 at 11:48 PM Post #17,631 of 20,634
@Sajid Amit Actually posted a while ago. I paired with Silver-based cable. norne audio silver garde s3
Do you have impressions/comparisons of the Esoteric posted yet. Just stumbled upon this aio not long ago, but nuanced impressions online are almost nil. I'd be mainly interested in the dac side of things, amp secondary...steaming is worthless to me.

May 31, 2022 at 12:12 AM Post #17,632 of 20,634

You need to keep your OOR at least; the headphone amp in Esoteric is just a pair of output buffers and not going to provide enough drive/dynamics/weight. Don't know about Lumin, but I would at least try another outboard network bridge before settling on the internal bridge.

hmm...looks like Esoteric has finally done away with their lazy IC implementation and put together a FPGA-based discrete dac. This is most interesting.

Last edited:
May 31, 2022 at 12:19 AM Post #17,633 of 20,634
Do you have impressions/comparisons of the Esoteric posted yet. Just stumbled upon this aio not long ago, but nuanced impressions online are almost nil. I'd be mainly interested in the dac side of things, amp secondary...steaming is worthless to me.

The Esoteric N-05XD has a lot of colorful and tasteful coloration. In short, I called it a modern's sounding Holo May on Steroids. I would describe the Holo may as slightly golden to bronze atmosphere with lovely synergy with Accuphase, and the Esoteric as light gold with silver highlights that is more modern style.
The Esoteric has an elevated mid-bass. It makes the bass that much more impactful, dynamic and fun. The bass is actually really tight and fast and elastic. The Esoteric does not excessively add any sub-bass for excessive ohmp in the subs. It is more about the quick and dynamic attack but slightly elevated. As a result of this coloration, the vocals are also slightly more emotional and have a slightly added warmth. Part of the higher frequencies is also slightly elevated to ensure micro details are more pronounced. The Esoteric is highly detailed and everything is presented very livelily with the feeling of being surrounded by the music. Not simply presented to the left and right.

Last edited:
May 31, 2022 at 12:24 AM Post #17,634 of 20,634
… What do you guys recommend for a DAP for Utopia?
I’m sure this will be like everything else, more opinions than posters.

Personally, I’ve always enjoyed the little bit softer warmer sound of AKM DAC chips w/ Utopia. So, previously, Utopia direct out of Cowon Plenue II preferred over Opus #2. Now, FiiO M15 preferred over Hiby R6 Pro. (Maybe that’s not the chip as much as the implementation and amp?)

The Cowon has optical out, so was a great source into my mTT2 or my Audio-gd Master 11. Now I output coax S/PDIF from the M15.

May 31, 2022 at 12:25 AM Post #17,635 of 20,634
Thanks...do feel the Esoteric dac portion is at least on par with the Dave, Wavedream or others in the 10k+ bracket? And how does the amp section compare to the ss totl amps currently? Any thoughts are appreciated...and maybe there's an Esoteric thread for this somewhere lol.

May 31, 2022 at 12:53 AM Post #17,636 of 20,634
Thanks...do feel the Esoteric dac portion is at least on par with the Dave, Wavedream or others in the 10k+ bracket? And how does the amp section compare to the ss totl amps currently? Any thoughts are appreciated...and maybe there's an Esoteric thread for this somewhere lol.
Uber high-end DACs including MSB, dCS, CH Precision aims for neutral presentation for all music and focus on the quality of the music including the second harmonics and textures. The Esoteric N-05XD is only the entry-level and it has very obvious coloration for a fun tuning. You need the esoteric grandioso to compete in the uber hifi bracket. Dave is also on the analytical and ultra detail side of things but not really my taste, but I would not describe it as neutral if you put it in the uber high-end DAC brackets. At most, it may be comparable to the dCS Bartok. Dave is dry and skeletal compared to dCS Rossini Apex.

Last edited:
May 31, 2022 at 4:24 AM Post #17,638 of 20,634
Uber high-end DACs including MSB, dCS, CH Precision aims for neutral presentation for all music and focus on the quality of the music including the second harmonics and textures. The Esoteric N-05XD is only the entry-level and it has very obvious coloration for a fun tuning. You need the esoteric grandioso to compete in the uber hifi bracket. Dave is also on the analytical and ultra detail side of things but not really my taste, but I would not describe it as neutral if you put it in the uber high-end DAC brackets. At most, it may be comparable to the dCS Bartok. Dave is dry and skeletal compared to dCS Rossini Apex.
You have a way with words, my friend.

Beautiful impressions.

As you know, I am a big fan of the Rossini. I am reviewing it as we speak.

Don’t think much of the Bartok. I understand and respect the dCS reputation.

However, my minor subjective departures are as follows:

1. In the uber uber high-end, things don’t necessarily become more neutral. Vivaldi is warmer and more laidback the Rossini, and I am not afraid to say I preferred the Rossini, lol. The new Alpha DAC versions in both cases.

2. The MSB DACs can also be rather laidback.

I di agree about the Dave. The use of the word “skeletal” is awesome.

I have owned the Dave and preferred the May to it, 90% of the time. It is only with the Susvara that I personally preferred the Dave.

Last thought:

The Holo May, to my ears, is magical with the TC, with the right amp in the chain.

May 31, 2022 at 7:15 AM Post #17,639 of 20,634
You have a way with words, my friend.

Beautiful impressions.

As you know, I am a big fan of the Rossini. I am reviewing it as we speak.

Don’t think much of the Bartok. I understand and respect the dCS reputation.

However, my minor subjective departures are as follows:

1. In the uber uber high-end, things don’t necessarily become more neutral. Vivaldi is warmer and more laidback the Rossini, and I am not afraid to say I preferred the Rossini, lol. The new Alpha DAC versions in both cases.

2. The MSB DACs can also be rather laidback.

I di agree about the Dave. The use of the word “skeletal” is awesome.

I have owned the Dave and preferred the May to it, 90% of the time. It is only with the Susvara that I personally preferred the Dave.

Last thought:

The Holo May, to my ears, is magical with the TC, with the right amp in the chain.

That’s the magical synergy of Holo May with Accuphase E480 for both Susvara and TC.

May 31, 2022 at 9:41 AM Post #17,640 of 20,634
I tried and owned TT2 for a few months and found it lacking in bass impact and warmth compared the Sony TA-z1hes. It did deliver better top end detail and separation overall but the difference was so slight I couldn’t justify keeping it especially with the lack of headphone output options.

What do you guys recommend for a DAP for Utopia?
Nothing like the FiiO M17 for the Utopia with a fixed power supply in overear mode. But it’s not a dap, really. If mobility is required, the FiiO M15 does a very competent job.
A8AEDBD8-F3A1-49AD-8031-05BB2818F49B.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back