Focal Utopia General Discussion
Mar 14, 2022 at 3:55 AM Post #17,221 of 20,644
I consider the Shure KSE the Utopia in IEM form. It matches it for micro details and somewhat even surpasses it. And sound signature is similar too, with the KSE having noticeably more sub-bass from being closed.

Macro details is where the Utopia trumps it of course. Just not gonna get around the physical limitations of IEMs, even with top hitters like the IER-Z1R and IE 900 that have a bigger sense of space. Just won't get anywhere close to the same experience.

Well I understand that IEM won't be able to trade blows with headphone. Big advantage with Utopia is that it's a very lively hp even on low volumes, while with ciem I find myself increasing volume too often and triggering my tinnitus. Electronic music just doesn't grab me as EM10 is closer to romantic/warmer sound of HD650.

Unfortunately can't be bothered with electrostat setups. The more I read it seems that A8000 could be closest to what I look for. Brightness is not an issue if done right. I've never found Utopia being tiring or offensive, different story with Clear's though which treble was to grainy for me and I had to EQ it. I see that A8000 uses same driver topology and looks like a good bet.

Mar 18, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #17,222 of 20,644
As Utopia has small drivers it is quite intimate sounding headphone. it won't give you that spacious experience with large images floating around you like some planars do, but Utopia's advantage is very precise instrument placement even in a small stage. I agree that utopias representation is a bit like tunnel in front of you, but it has depth just may require a bit more focus to hear it.

For example try koyoto connection tea house track and it shows people chatting in the back of your head at least -->
You need to remember headphone limitations, they won't give you the staging capabilities like speakers can, but I enjoy hp's because of different qualities that they can give.

As far as I know only abyss 1266 comes closer to speaker like experience

Correct...the AB1266 are far more "speaker-like". But for an even bigger sound the SR1a/HSA-1b can't be beat in this regard.

Mar 19, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #17,223 of 20,644
there is nothing else like the sr1a...I am not saying it is the best although at times I think it is...but it is definitely unlike anything else I listen to

Mar 19, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #17,224 of 20,644
A bit late to Utopia ownership as I've been very happy with my Stellia's, Moon Audio Black Dragon cables and Arche combination.
Having recently bought a secondhand Pathos Inpol Ear and a new Chord Qutest I thought I'd treat myself to some new headphones, straight out of the box it was a real WOW moment listening to the Utopias, it was like there were countless pockets of well defined instruments.
I immediately ordered a pair of Moon Audio Silver Dragons and they have proved to be a worthwhile purchase. I plan to buy the M Scaler in the future but I'm really enjoying the very pleasant musical quality of the Utopia's whilst my wallet cools down and I get to save for the M Scaler.

Mar 19, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #17,226 of 20,644
I heard the mysphere..IMHO not in the same league as the sr1a

Mar 24, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #17,228 of 20,644
^ Can confirm...quite easily!
Maybe I’m missing something but the setup they had at CanJam with Raal’s latest tube amp was underwhelming to me. For me there was nothing special After I heard it I went over to the WooAudio room and listened to the Mysphere off of the Wa8 and was in Heaven. So lush in the mid range vocals were like no other with great separation and staging. To each their own I guess.

Mar 24, 2022 at 9:15 PM Post #17,229 of 20,644
At even medium volume, I found the Mysphere had too much distortion. The SR1a is a few leagues above them to my ears. That said, I haven’t heard them on the tube amp. But on the Jot-R, or especially the HSA-1b, no question for me.

Mar 25, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #17,230 of 20,644
Finally got a pair of Utopias and they are also my first ever focal headphone.

Hands down the best unboxing experience of any headphone for me so far.

The build quality is impeccable, even the stock cable of the 2020 version is the nicest stock cable I've seen. Really punchy sounding headphone and the Imaging is just stunning.

I spent a few hours with them last night and got completely lost in the music. Really impressed :L3000:

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #17,232 of 20,644
Finally got a pair of Utopias and they are also my first ever focal headphone.

Hands down the best unboxing experience of any headphone for me so far.

The build quality is impeccable, even the stock cable of the 2020 version is the nicest stock cable I've seen. Really punchy sounding headphone and the Imaging is just stunning.

I spent a few hours with them last night and got completely lost in the music. Really impressed :L3000:

Did you purchase these new? If so, can you post pictures of the 2022 cables?

Mar 25, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #17,233 of 20,644
Did you purchase these new? If so, can you post pictures of the 2022 cables?
I did. The cable is like this:

audiosanctuary_focal_utopia_2020_5.jpg

Mar 25, 2022 at 7:19 PM Post #17,234 of 20,644
They changed the cables on versions built after yours. The new cables are rubberized and I assume will be appearing soon. They may or may not be better or worse than the older cables introduced in 2020.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2022 at 7:28 PM Post #17,235 of 20,644
They changed the cables on versions built after yours. The new cables are rubberized and I assume will be appearing soon. They may or may not be better or worse than the older cables introduced in 2020.
any pics?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back