Focal Utopia General Discussion
Mar 12, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #17,206 of 20,644
I'm actually looking for iem that would bring technical levels of utopia while not being offensive at the same time. I was mainly looking at U12T, but still resistant to do the purchase as I'm total noob regards IEM's. I currently heave custom earsonics EM10 and worried to blow $$ while ending up just with the sidegrade.
VE Phonix

Mar 12, 2022 at 8:54 AM Post #17,207 of 20,644
The price though is eye watering, I'll need to get back to job market. U12T is less painful to my wallet and I'll need to go through comparisons. Something complementing my warm EM10 would be nice
I don’t think U12T is at Utopia level technically. Another one that has great technical performance on par with Utopia is Final A8000. It doesn’t have that holographic presentation or that lush impactful bass but it’s treble and upper mids are top notch.

Mar 12, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #17,208 of 20,644
Utopia has very headphone type of presentation.I've tested many hp's too and none of them gave me speaker like feeling of stage. We need to understand physical limitations of HP's or IEM's as drivers are very close to your ears. Though it doesn't mean that they can't bring different goodness to the SQ.

I'm actually looking for iem that would bring technical levels of utopia while not being offensive at the same time. I was mainly looking at U12T, but still resistant to do the purchase as I'm total noob regards IEM's. I currently heave custom earsonics EM10 and worried to blow $$ while ending up just with the sidegrade.
The top IEM in my opinion and that of many others also has the widest sound stage. It is the Oriolus Traillii. It is very expensive ( visit MusicTeck and speak to Andrew. ). Other top ones right now are the Jewel and Red halo and XE-6. All are expensive. The U12T is also excellent though not in their class. However, at the latest CanJam I was very impressed by the Thie Audio Monarch ii. These sounded close to the best and one reviewer (Crinacle) seems to like them the best. I also felt they were above the U12T as did a few others at the show. They cost around $1000.00. ( a bargain compared to other TOTL IEM’s) You might give these a try.

Mar 12, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #17,209 of 20,644
The top IEM in my opinion and that of many others also has the widest sound stage. It is the Oriolus Traillii. It is very expensive ( visit MusicTeck and speak to Andrew. ). Other top ones right now are the Jewel and Red halo and XE-6. All are expensive. The U12T is also excellent though not in their class. However, at the latest CanJam I was very impressed by the Thie Audio Monarch ii. These sounded close to the best and one reviewer (Crinacle) seems to like them the best. I also felt they were above the U12T as did a few others at the show. They cost around $1000.00. ( a bargain compared to other TOTL IEM’s) You might give these a try.

Thanks a lot for your input. I have no doubt that stuff like Traillii do sound amazing, but it is way above my psychological barrier. I got Utopia in used market for 2400$, now paying more for iem just doesn't click with my wallet. If Monarch ii is technically efficient IEM that would be the best bet for me. I'm mainly a headphone guy, but for a portable use something technical yet not offensive would be a nice addition. Even if i ignore staging capabilities of a headphone, I feel that Utopia technically is miles ahead against my cIEM thus I can't enjoy certain tracks as much as I do at home. Biggest disappointment is lack of dynamics and detail in treble compared to Utopia.

Mar 12, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #17,211 of 20,644
I have listened to and owned many headphones including some of the ones that are considered by many to have huge sound stages to include the HD800 , Mysphere and Raal. I never found the HD800 to have a particularly large soundstage. The Mysphere and Raal have huge soundstages to my ears, but no headphone including those or Utopia gave me a “holographic experience. The only headphone that does that for me is… an iem - the Fourte from 64 Audio.
Another thing to keep in mind is that there is typically a trade-off between soundstage and dynamic impact. HD800S & Arya/HEK/Susvara have super wide soundstage, but are somewhat lacking in the dynamics department - to achieve that soundstage the sounds are necessarily "pushed away from you" meaning you feel the dynamics less. Utopia has industry leading dynamics, but is somewhat lacking in soundstage. The sounds are intimate and immediate so you "feel" every beat. In that context, Utopia's notoriously narrow soundstage isn't a bug, it's a feature.

Mar 12, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #17,212 of 20,644
Another thing to keep in mind is that there is typically a trade-off between soundstage and dynamic impact. HD800S & Arya/HEK/Susvara have super wide soundstage, but are somewhat lacking in the dynamics department - to achieve that soundstage the sounds are necessarily "pushed away from you" meaning you feel the dynamics less. Utopia has industry leading dynamics, but is somewhat lacking in soundstage. The sounds are intimate and immediate so you "feel" every beat. In that context, Utopia's notoriously narrow soundstage isn't a bug, it's a feature.
So true. Well said.

Mar 12, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #17,213 of 20,644
Thanks a lot for your input. I have no doubt that stuff like Traillii do sound amazing, but it is way above my psychological barrier. I got Utopia in used market for 2400$, now paying more for iem just doesn't click with my wallet. If Monarch ii is technically efficient IEM that would be the best bet for me. I'm mainly a headphone guy, but for a portable use something technical yet not offensive would be a nice addition. Even if i ignore staging capabilities of a headphone, I feel that Utopia technically is miles ahead against my cIEM thus I can't enjoy certain tracks as much as I do at home. Biggest disappointment is lack of dynamics and detail in treble compared to Utopia.
At CanJam I was helping out another primary HP user that wanted an IEM like his HP’s. He loved the Traillii and said that was the only IEM that was as good as some of his HP’s. However he did not want to spend the money. I then recommended the Monarch ii to him and brought him to listen to it. He liked it better than everything else except Traillii and got it. Based on that you may like it as well. Please let me know if you get it and like it. Tks.

Mar 13, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #17,215 of 20,644
Did anyone had the chance to hear sony IER Z1R ? Seems to have rave reviews over internet and there are cheaper options in used market. Curious how technically it is close to utopia. It is described as more dynamic than MKii which is a big plus for me

Mar 13, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #17,216 of 20,644
Did anyone had the chance to hear sony IER Z1R ? Seems to have rave reviews over internet and there are cheaper options in used market. Curious how technically it is close to utopia. It is described as more dynamic than MKii which is a big plus for me

A bit different, IER Z1R push big bold bass with mild V-shape character, while I agree the brightness in treble is still satisfying. Monarch II is nice for the price, but can't compete to something like U12T and Z1R in technicalities (Monarch being "dirty" and lack of detail).

For Utopia user who want to spend up to USD 2K on IEM, I think Acoustune HS2000MX would be better match. One of the most spacious soundstage in IEM world, strong impact/bite, while keep the neutral tone overall. Final A8000 also could be a nice option, but for my taste is too bright and a bit thin sounding.

Mar 13, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #17,217 of 20,644
A bit different, IER Z1R push big bold bass with mild V-shape character, while I agree the brightness in treble is still satisfying. Monarch II is nice for the price, but can't compete to something like U12T and Z1R in technicalities (Monarch being "dirty" and lack of detail).

For Utopia user who want to spend up to USD 2K on IEM, I think Acoustune HS2000MX would be better match. One of the most spacious soundstage in IEM world, strong impact/bite, while keep the neutral tone overall. Final A8000 also could be a nice option, but for my taste is too bright and a bit thin sounding.
I would argue that the Monarch Mk ii is superior to the U12T. Many at the show agreed as well as Crinacle. Everyone hears a bit different.

Mar 13, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #17,218 of 20,644
The proper fit of the IER-Z1R must be checked before purchasing. The ThieAudio Monarch MkII is very different than the Focal Utopia. I find the 64 Audio U12t’s tuning and fit to be more pleasing than the Mk II and I no longer own them.

Mar 13, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #17,219 of 20,644
I consider the Shure KSE the Utopia in IEM form. It matches it for micro details and somewhat even surpasses it. And sound signature is similar too, with the KSE having noticeably more sub-bass from being closed.

Macro details is where the Utopia trumps it of course. Just not gonna get around the physical limitations of IEMs, even with top hitters like the IER-Z1R and IE 900 that have a bigger sense of space. Just won't get anywhere close to the same experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back