Focal Utopia General Discussion
Mar 9, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #17,191 of 20,624
deleted

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #17,192 of 20,624
Everyone's ears are different (literally), and not everyone's brain interprets audio exactly the same. For example, try as I might I cannot for the life of me hear sounds projected in front of me - ever. What I do hear is sounds projected behind me. Don't ask me why, that's just what my ears and/or brain do with soundstage. Setting that aside, though, what we refer to as soundstage is rarely a convincing depiction of sound coming from outside of the head; there's a certain level of acceptance that what we're hearing is an approximation of space and not the real thing, what we're hearing sounds *sort of* like it could be coming from somewhere other than right on our ears.

Anyway, go get a Sennheiser HD800S. If you don't hear spacialized soundstage from the HD800S you're never going to hear it anywhere.
For me, the sounds extending beyond my body seem very real. And when I’ve had others listen, that’s the first thing they notice. I can tell they haven’t experienced this before with budget headphones. Now it doesn’t sound the same as speakers but it does sound holographic and has this euphoric effect. I’d say it feels about arms length to the sides and in front of me. I do think the Danacable Lazuli Reference cable helps open up the sound more than the stock cable.

Mar 9, 2022 at 10:01 PM Post #17,193 of 20,624
So I listened to the two linked clips... nothing special to say. The tea shop... kinda tell people talking behind... not far. Listened to some other stuff... live Snarky... meh... the echo alone conveys space. Decided to listen to some demo stuff from like Chesky, HD Tracks... some was better. Was trying to listen to like string quartet... better. Specifically recorded live spaces does better, not exactly "holographic". There's those demonstration where they walk around the hall and say how far away from the mic. You get a sense of space from echo... wouldn't say I can pin point a guy talking at 3oft.

Then... I listen to highly regarded... Wagner: Der Ring Des Nibelungen... OK, thats better. Seems to me, if it is close, it is in my face or in my head. Point source spacial clues are different, but one point source. The one where they walk around the mic is certainly clear... But Wagner... that one gave space. No telling where the mic was... but with such a big space, with so many "point sources", it was easy to tell their relation to each other and where they were. And then when the performers moved on the stage, it was clear of their movement simply based on relation to other "known" points. Like my brain does not do well with one or a couple point static points... but many points in relation and especially with moving points, I get a picture. Not at all surprising, but certainly interesting.

Now regardless of any of that, what is commonly said about the Utopias, I definitely agree with... regardless of the point, or relation or anything... what ever is there, is pin point placement... it is not difuse sound, a point source is pinpoint. That is cool.

Mar 11, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #17,194 of 20,624
So I listened to the two linked clips... nothing special to say. The tea shop... kinda tell people talking behind... not far. Listened to some other stuff... live Snarky... meh... the echo alone conveys space. Decided to listen to some demo stuff from like Chesky, HD Tracks... some was better. Was trying to listen to like string quartet... better. Specifically recorded live spaces does better, not exactly "holographic". There's those demonstration where they walk around the hall and say how far away from the mic. You get a sense of space from echo... wouldn't say I can pin point a guy talking at 3oft.

Then... I listen to highly regarded... Wagner: Der Ring Des Nibelungen... OK, thats better. Seems to me, if it is close, it is in my face or in my head. Point source spacial clues are different, but one point source. The one where they walk around the mic is certainly clear... But Wagner... that one gave space. No telling where the mic was... but with such a big space, with so many "point sources", it was easy to tell their relation to each other and where they were. And then when the performers moved on the stage, it was clear of their movement simply based on relation to other "known" points. Like my brain does not do well with one or a couple point static points... but many points in relation and especially with moving points, I get a picture. Not at all surprising, but certainly interesting.

Now regardless of any of that, what is commonly said about the Utopias, I definitely agree with... regardless of the point, or relation or anything... what ever is there, is pin point placement... it is not difuse sound, a point source is pinpoint. That is cool.

Try yosi horikawa, he knows how to master a track properly. Try one of his tracks below, it should give very precise sound placement on utopia

Mar 11, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #17,195 of 20,624
Have a listen to this WITH HEADPHONES for some fun and you will hear this all around you, further back and further forward.

thanks quite fun with a virtual hair cut (I am bald, but do remember). Just wondering why apparently there is no sounds in front of me? Or is it just me....

Mar 11, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #17,196 of 20,624
Try yosi horikawa, he knows how to master a track properly. Try one of his tracks below, it should give very precise sound placement on utopia

OK, so to me, it still does not project from me. Yes I get it is not going to be like speakers. Totally there. I do not get the sense any sound is in from of me. On other recordings, binaural, it is super easy, and weird, to local sound behind... like away from me. This is not staged in from of me, even close, it is staged in my head.

Now... super cool. Thanks for sharing. There is a LOT going on, and there is certainly a stage in my head, and clear placement in it. I did not know him. I will probably spend the night listening to him.

So is there one thing in particular... something to isolate... and say you should definitely hear "that" in from of you. Any examples? Again, thanks. Really cool.

Mar 11, 2022 at 10:08 PM Post #17,197 of 20,624
Sarah mclaughland and angel gives a nice picture of vocal and piano.

Mar 11, 2022 at 11:32 PM Post #17,198 of 20,624
hey @Powermankw, perhaps an estat or the hd800/s might give you the kind of 'out of head' headphone experience that you seem to crave. i can't say i've experienced that with the utopia.

Mar 12, 2022 at 12:14 AM Post #17,199 of 20,624
hey @Powermankw, perhaps an estat or the hd800/s might give you the kind of 'out of head' headphone experience that you seem to crave. i can't say i've experienced that with the utopia.
Thanks Bud. I definitely don't need new gear right now. Maybe some day. :)

It isn't so much a problem, just trying to understand. Tricks and effects are one thing, but every HP I have ever had sounded like headphones... not that they were any good. The Utopias to me sound like headphones. Exceptional headphones.

Mar 12, 2022 at 1:50 AM Post #17,201 of 20,624
Thanks Bud. I definitely don't need new gear right now. Maybe some day. :)

It isn't so much a problem, just trying to understand. Tricks and effects are one thing, but every HP I have ever had sounded like headphones... not that they were any good. The Utopias to me sound like headphones. Exceptional headphones.
Just buy Speakers dude 🤣

Mar 12, 2022 at 3:21 AM Post #17,202 of 20,624

I have listened to and owned many headphones including some of the ones that are considered by many to have huge sound stages to include the HD800 , Mysphere and Raal. I never found the HD800 to have a particularly large soundstage. The Mysphere and Raal have huge soundstages to my ears, but no headphone including those or Utopia gave me a “holographic experience. The only headphone that does that for me is… an iem - the Fourte from 64 Audio.

Mar 12, 2022 at 4:29 AM Post #17,203 of 20,624
I have listened to and owned many headphones including some of the ones that are considered by many to have huge sound stages to include the HD800 , Mysphere and Raal. I never found the HD800 to have a particularly large soundstage. The Mysphere and Raal have huge soundstages to my ears, but no headphone including those or Utopia gave me a “holographic experience. The only headphone that does that for me is… an iem - the Fourte from 64 Audio.

Utopia has very headphone type of presentation.I've tested many hp's too and none of them gave me speaker like feeling of stage. We need to understand physical limitations of HP's or IEM's as drivers are very close to your ears. Though it doesn't mean that they can't bring different goodness to the SQ.

I'm actually looking for iem that would bring technical levels of utopia while not being offensive at the same time. I was mainly looking at U12T, but still resistant to do the purchase as I'm total noob regards IEM's. I currently heave custom earsonics EM10 and worried to blow $$ while ending up just with the sidegrade.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2022 at 6:06 AM Post #17,204 of 20,624
Utopia has very headphone type of presentation.I've tested many hp's too and none of them gave me speaker like feeling of stage. We need to understand physical limitations of HP's or IEM's as drivers are very close to your ears. Though it doesn't mean that they can't bring different goodness to the SQ.

I'm actually looking for iem that would bring technical levels of utopia while not being offensive at the same time. I was mainly looking at U12T, but still resistant to do the purchase as I'm total noob regards IEM's. I currently heave custom earsonics EM10 and worried to blow $$ while ending up just with the sidegrade.
I can’t recommend the Fourte enough. I think it is technically on the same level as the Utopia if not better but a little different obviously. The bass is a little wetter and fuller because of a more boosted sub bass. The impact is slightly less but it still has great impact. Mids are more boosted and highs are on par. It has more of a “W” shape sound signature. Detail is on par with Utopia. Obviously sound stage is less but imaging is amazingly holographic unlike anything I have ever heard. Sounds placed all around the head.

Mar 12, 2022 at 7:40 AM Post #17,205 of 20,624
I can’t recommend the Fourte enough. I think it is technically on the same level as the Utopia if not better but a little different obviously. The bass is a little wetter and fuller because of a more boosted sub bass. The impact is slightly less but it still has great impact. Mids are more boosted and highs are on par. It has more of a “W” shape sound signature. Detail is on par with Utopia. Obviously sound stage is less but imaging is amazingly holographic unlike anything I have ever heard. Sounds placed all around the head.

The price though is eye watering, I'll need to get back to job market. U12T is less painful to my wallet and I'll need to go through comparisons. Something complementing my warm EM10 would be nice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back