Focal Utopia General Discussion
Dec 4, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #16,546 of 20,554
In the Chord Dave thread, an owner of a Blu/DAVE/MScaler bought a D90 and compared it favorably to the Chord rig. I have the stack and find it very enjoyable. I may add a tube amp at some point for a different sound, but I don’t find the sound lacking in detail with the Utopia.
The only problem I had with A90 is the sound was rather flat and two-dimensional. I felt like it lacked depth and layering, which I think is generally the downside of nested feedback circuit designs. Otherwise, it's an incredibly clean, analytical, and powerful amp.

Dec 4, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #16,547 of 20,554
Have you tried the Hugo 2? I found that too bright and analytical. The Dave/mscaler is analytical and neutral, not bright. It’s still musical but less so than my current Naim HE. It’s strange that you’re seeking out what I’d consider a fatiguing sound, but everyone has their preferences. You may also want to look into a silver headphone cable.

Some people find the mscaler fatiguing because it puts out RF high frequency noise if use stock power supply. Only solution is battery power, optical connector or Wave cables. The last two are expensive, so I went for the $120 battery and there was no fatigue at all. But in the end, I found all this extra stuff annoying, sold off the Chord and eventually got one box Naim HE. But it’s the exact opposite of analytical.
Sometimes I like, especially for classical and some jazz, a very bright and thin sound. Thanks for all the advice.

Dec 4, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #16,548 of 20,554
Sometimes I like, especially for classical and some jazz, a very bright and thin sound. Thanks for all the advice.
On any of the Chord dac, make sure you have the filter set to the white setting or the HF filter off on the Dave to remove any warmth. Even on the Hugo 2, with HF filter on, it wasn’t warm enough for my tastes. I’m avoided the last two settings since they had less resolution and seemed lacking in comparison.

If you have the funds, then the Dave/mscaler would probably be the best bet for you. You can hear so much detail, layering and separation, it sounds like you’re right there. But for rock music, realized it didn’t have enough weight and bouncy rhythm I like that the Naim HE provides.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #16,549 of 20,554
In the Chord Dave thread, an owner of a Blu/DAVE/MScaler bought a D90 and compared it favorably to the Chord rig. I have the stack and find it very enjoyable. I may add a tube amp at some point for a different sound, but I don’t find the sound lacking in detail with the Utopia.
yeah right....

Dec 4, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #16,551 of 20,554
I own the topping A90 and have heard the DAC..it doesnt upset me at all..I am not in any way denigrating the Topping equipment..i am only suggesting it is silly to compare the topping stuff with chord dave or other TOTL equipment

Dec 4, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #16,552 of 20,554
Some guys think the Topping stuff is just as good or 99% of the high end stuff, and anyone who says otherwise is fooling themselves. I owned the Topping stuff, it’s good, ended up selling it. They either don’t know any better or have convinced themselves, yet claim others are the ones who are bias.

Dec 5, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #16,553 of 20,554
Well I think my desktop setup is pretty good, but, in all honesty, the best I have heard with the Utopia is the dCS Bartok.

Dec 5, 2021 at 3:23 AM Post #16,554 of 20,554
Some guys think the Topping stuff is just as good or 99% of the high end stuff, and anyone who says otherwise is fooling themselves. I owned the Topping stuff, it’s good, ended up selling it. They either don’t know any better or have convinced themselves, yet claim others are the ones who are bias.

That’s actually not the case - I’ve auditioned TOTL gear with my Utopias and I’ve heard equipment that undoubtedly tests worse but sounds better than my Topping stack (Pathos, Naim). I can’t afford that gear, but I don’t deny or resent the fact that it’s out there. When I tried the DAVE, however, I was expecting the magic that owners rave about, completely at peace with the fact that it’s far out of reach, and I was stunned by how unpleasant I found the sound. It’s not that I don’t know any better; it’s a very particular sound, and I simply didn’t enjoy it. If you love your DAVE, great. I’m not going to try to tell you your ears are mistaken.

Dec 5, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #16,556 of 20,554
The dave is like a expensive sportscar. It depends who drives it to go fast and overpriced is when nobody buys it and does not deliver what it claims. Do the math yourself.

Dec 5, 2021 at 7:05 AM Post #16,557 of 20,554
Well I think my desktop setup is pretty good, but, in all honesty, the best I have heard with the Utopia is the dCS Bartok.
Curious to hear thoughts on the Bartok. I have not heard it.
That’s actually not the case - I’ve auditioned TOTL gear with my Utopias and I’ve heard equipment that undoubtedly tests worse but sounds better than my Topping stack (Pathos, Naim). I can’t afford that gear, but I don’t deny or resent the fact that it’s out there. When I tried the DAVE, however, I was expecting the magic that owners rave about, completely at peace with the fact that it’s far out of reach, and I was stunned by how unpleasant I found the sound. It’s not that I don’t know any better; it’s a very particular sound, and I simply didn’t enjoy it. If you love your DAVE, great. I’m not going to try to tell you your ears are mistaken.
I owned the Dave with the M-scaler. It was very good but ended up selling it because I preferred the Holo May Kitsune and it was a third of the price. I seem to have a preference for r2r dacs.

Dec 5, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #16,558 of 20,554
i'm curious. what are your most used headphones these days?
In no particular order: AB1266 Phi TC, LCD-5, Susvara and SR1a...so unfortunately I wanted the Utopia to go to a home where they would get the love and attention they would deserve.

Dec 5, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #16,559 of 20,554
Is the Dave analytical/bright? I don’t think the TT is?
That is what is amazing about the DAVE...it is the least analytical amp I've heard/owned. Just breathtaking!

Dec 9, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #16,560 of 20,554
All,
Shop early if you need to before new year.
Price spikes again......Inflation......

Screenshot_20211209-075613_Yahoo Mail.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back