Focal Utopia General Discussion
Dec 10, 2021 at 3:45 AM Post #16,562 of 20,602
Anyone have a solution for squeaky parts in Utopias? In my case, not only the headband is creaking, but also the clasps at the end of the forks next to the shells. Recently it has started to irritate me a lot.

Dec 13, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #16,564 of 20,602
Diana TC.
Just wondering if it s an upgrade over my beloved utopia..
It'll be different for sure. Abyss take on sound is pretty amazing.

Dec 13, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #16,565 of 20,602
Diana TC.
I own both. In my opinion, if you have the gear to power the Diana TC then yes absolutely. The DTC sounds wider more open, has better clarity and more resolving. The Utopia’s advantage is it’s efficiency.

Dec 13, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #16,567 of 20,602
I own both. In my opinion, if you have the gear to power the Diana TC then yes absolutely. The DTC sounds wider more open, has better clarity and more resolving. The Utopia’s advantage is it’s efficiency.
I have a susy dynalo and hugo.
I believe in case i should forget to use the daps with dtc.. And probably even the hugo since only the lcd x of the planars i had was ok with it..

Dec 13, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #16,568 of 20,602
I have the Hugo 2 also. If you listen at low or medium levels it’s fine. I listen loud (Hugo 2 goes into the white) and at that point things start to distort.

Dec 13, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #16,569 of 20,602
Wait, all the dianas have pretty much the same efficiency and resistance of he1000v2. I owned the hifiman, yes it sound from the hugo but we are far from their potential.
I also found they sounded best plugged to the speaker tap (of the burmester..)

Dec 13, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #16,570 of 20,602
Diana TC.
i've not auditioned the diana phi or the new diana tc, which probably makes this post irrelevant but i have tried the original diana and diana v2. i compared both directly to the utopia. i recall the v2 surpassing the utopia for clarity and matching it for detail retrieval. however, the utopia sounded fuller. i would lurv to try the diana tc, particularly if abyss has now improved its comfort as i am a fan of its compact design, lighter weight, build quality and sound signature.

Dec 14, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #16,572 of 20,602
Wait, all the dianas have pretty much the same efficiency and resistance of he1000v2. I owned the hifiman, yes it sound from the hugo but we are far from their potential.
I also found they sounded best plugged to the speaker tap (of the burmester..)
Which Diana? As I reckon, all of them have different impedance rating.

Diana Phi sounds fine direct from TT2, I still can enjoy it for transportable. However, of course not comparable to higher end desktop set up like Sagra + Formula S/Powerman stack.

While Utopia, I think it's fine even from L&P W2. This little usb dac has nice synergy with Focal when portable size is important.

Dec 14, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #16,573 of 20,602
For those of you that have the Utopia how is they synergy with tube amps? I have a WA5 LE V2 and I’m more than curious how the Utopias would sound with that.
Generally speaking I think the Utopia plays well with most amps, period. I think most owners will agree with that and that’s one of the Utopia‘a key strengths. One of my favorite pairings was with the feliks euforia. Just fantastic. Oddly and maybe because I have other headphones that pair better with my WA33, the utopia don’t sound as good, as I remember them with other pairings.

Dec 14, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #16,575 of 20,602
Perhaps you’re correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back