Focal Utopia General Discussion
Aug 1, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #15,646 of 20,644
i can't relate to that criticism of the utopia. if i want to experience soundstage then i'll listen to loudspeakers…
Some of us can’t use loudspeakers.

Aug 1, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #15,647 of 20,644
I don't mind intimate presentation of Utopia as well, but I've mainly listened to intimate headphones. I have only tried Ananda which is reported to have large soundstage, but was left unimpressed. Lack of microdynamics & tonality killed it for me

The only thing i want to achieve with Utopias is to improve bass impact & thicken the sound without loosing on technical side. Tube amplifier should help me here, but I'm a bit lost with options and worried to end up with a sidegrade.

Aug 1, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #15,648 of 20,644
Screenshot_20210802-001246_Roon.jpg

Have a listen to this album, and this song in particular.

It sounds amazing with the Utopia. Love the strong central imaging and peripherally placed elements going on at the same time. I listen to this song/album and wonder how people say the soundstage width on the utopia is small. Love the snappiness and it is just so detailed and pinpoint. Plus I'm not getting any harshness at all. Just the right amount of grittiness when needed. Awesome bass punch and texture/detail. Haunting realism..

Solidifies the Utopia as my number 1 favourite headphone. It was my first totl headphone and I could have just stopped there.

*edit

And check out the percussions and imaging on "Across from My Window" on the same album.
I think the Utopia is a superb headphone, but for me, the Susvara just does everything somewhat better, while doing nothing worse. I rate the Utopia's soundstage size as average, and not one of its stronger points. The album in question isn't available on Tidal, so couldn't check it out specifically.

We all hear this stuff differently, obviously.

Aug 1, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #15,649 of 20,644
i can't relate to that criticism of the utopia. if i want to experience soundstage then i'll listen to loudspeakers.

i guess i should add that i find the utopia's 'headstage' is recording dependent.
there are headphones with much larger soundstages...abyss or sr1a and even susvara...loudspeakers are not the only comparison...that said some people like the more intimate soundstage thats why they make so many different HP's...choose what you like best...personally I like a bigger soundstage

Aug 1, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #15,651 of 20,644
I think the Utopia is a superb headphone, but for me, the Susvara just does everything somewhat better, while doing nothing worse. I rate the Utopia's soundstage size as average, and not one of its stronger points. The album in question isn't available on Tidal, so couldn't check it out specifically.

We all hear this stuff differently, obviously.

Screenshot_20210802-062223_Roon.jpg

Ah.. this album is on both qobuz and tidal. Try give it another search?

I agree the susvara is the technically superior headphone in many aspects.

I actually find the soundstage on utopia really good. And I also find the soundstage on these headphones easier to ascertain and visualize in my mind, perhaps due to its very accurate imaging even with elements in the periphery.

On a side note, Utopia with the sa-1 is great but Utopia with tubes is heavenly!

Aug 1, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #15,652 of 20,644
The only thing i want to achieve with Utopias is to improve bass impact & thicken the sound without loosing on technical side. Tube amplifier should help me here, but I'm a bit lost with options and worried to end up with a sidegrade.

Have u tried using EQ with the Utopia?

I have a few settings I keep ready on Roon, but I dont use them very often. They're from Oratory and Crinacle and tuned for Harman curve I think. If I'm on the tube amp, the bass gets a bit excessive. Perhaps better with SS amps.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #15,653 of 20,644

Ah.. this album is on both qobuz and tidal. Try give it another search?

I agree the susvara is the technically superior headphone in many aspects.

I actually find the soundstage on utopia really good. And I also find the soundstage on these headphones easier to ascertain and visualize in my mind, perhaps due to its very accurate imaging even with elements in the periphery.

On a side note, Utopia with the sa-1 is great but Utopia with tubes is heavenly!
That album is not on Tidal, at least for me. Perhaps there are licensing issues within the US?

On another note, while listening to my Utopias at low volume just earlier, the left channel suddenly went out! I swapped the cables channel-wise and it's definitely the left driver. Never had any issues previously.

Question: does anyone know the best way to get these serviced if I live in California? I bought them from @tsav roughly five years ago, but I'm pretty sure they're no longer a Focal dealer. Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2021 at 7:59 PM Post #15,654 of 20,644
That album is not on Tidal, at least for me. Perhaps there are licensing issues within the US?

On another note, while listening to my Utopias at low volume just earlier, the left channel suddenly went out! I swapped the cables channel-wise and it's definitely the left driver. Never had any issues previously.

Question: does anyone know the best way to get these serviced if I live in California? I bought them from @tsav roughly five years ago, but I'm pretty sure they're no longer a Focal dealer. Thanks in advance for any guidance!
They still are.
Contact asap like tomorrow and give them your Utopia SN right away warranty processing..... check the date you bought from them.....

Aug 1, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #15,655 of 20,644
Some of us can’t use loudspeakers.
i appreciate that but it's beside the point, which is that headphones don't create soundstages - loudspeakers do
there are headphones with much larger soundstages...abyss or sr1a and even susvara...loudspeakers are not the only comparison...that said some people like the more intimate soundstage thats why they make so many different HP's...choose what you like best...personally I like a bigger soundstage
i agree that there are headphones with more spacious presentations than the utopia such as the abyss and the hd800 but as i said in my post, if i want to experience the illusion of a soundstage then i'll listen to loudspeakers - not headphones. nor do i share the view that the utopia sounds 'small' or 'closed-in' as some people have described it - it sounds like a headphone. and as i also said in my post, i find that the utopia's 'headstage' (for want of a better descriptor) does vary depending on the recording - ymmv.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2021 at 2:19 AM Post #15,656 of 20,644
Have u tried using EQ with the Utopia?

I have a few settings I keep ready on Roon, but I dont use them very often. They're from Oratory and Crinacle and tuned for Harman curve I think. If I'm on the tube amp, the bass gets a bit excessive. Perhaps better with SS amps.
Somehow Utopia responds poorly to EQ in my scenario. Not sure how EQ could help me to bring Utopias timbre towards organic side like HD650 and thicken it's sound signature. There is an idea to replace my Qutest to R2R based dac and purchase budget tube amp first prior to blowing $$$ for something serious.

I've read some people using utopias with Night Blues Mini and giving very positive feedback

Aug 2, 2021 at 3:27 AM Post #15,657 of 20,644
not sure how changing a dac or an amp is going to change the timbre of the utopia to your satisfaction but good luck with it

Aug 2, 2021 at 3:33 AM Post #15,658 of 20,644
not sure how changing a dac or an amp is going to change the timbre of the utopia to your satisfaction but good luck with it

Well tube from my previous experience brought warmth and more organic sound. It really improved timbre for campfire cascade which via ss sounded too sharp

Aug 2, 2021 at 3:51 AM Post #15,659 of 20,644
blunting transients and adding 'warmth' in the hope of changing the utopia's timbre seems problematic to me. maybe it just isn't for you.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #15,660 of 20,644
I haven’t listening to tube amps but the Naim Uniti Atom HE has given the Utopia’s the thickest, warmest sound with zero harshness of the amps I’ve tried. That would be the original Hugo, Hugo 2, Chord Dave w/mscaler and Focal Arche. The Naim is not the most resolving but has great texture especially in the bass and music has plenty of weight. Very enjoyable.

As for a timber, I generally found all the amps to be somewhat similar, with the headphone cable making the bigger difference. I’ve only tried the Danacable Lazuli Reference and love the changes it brings. Guitar has more crunch and mids are just so rich.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back