Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jul 30, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #15,631 of 20,685
No, I use my WA33, so I guess that balanced part doesn't really apply to the DAVE. I used to run the Utopias off a TT2, and I definitely prefer it out of my WA33.
So you prefer it from the WA33 over direct from Dave? I understand the Utopia is not so hard to drive.

Jul 30, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #15,632 of 20,685
So you prefer it from the WA33 over direct from Dave? I understand the Utopia is not so hard to drive.
I typically always use my WA33, as I like the way it sounds with different headphones. I guess you could say the DAVE has more clarity, but I think being able to use the Utopias with a balanced cable has really increased my enjoyment with them. Full disclosure though, I haven't used the Utopias with the DAVE that much. I might try that combo again this weekend just to make sure I still have the same evaluation

Jul 30, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #15,633 of 20,685
I’m thinking to replace my luxman P1U with tube amp. I love the synergy there, but it’s too big, plus if I could get extra bass impact with tubes. Does anyone had experience Utopia with Eufonika tube amps ?
The Luxman is huge. It’s regular component size, heavy and built like a tank. The Utopia’s sound great on it. I wouldn’t mind trying out the Utopia’s on the new McIntosh MHA200.

Jul 31, 2021 at 1:45 AM Post #15,634 of 20,685
Is there any difference in old vs new revision of focal utopia ? Or it's just packaging and cables ?
As far as I know it's exactly the same headphone, but maybe some "old" users know something more.

Jul 31, 2021 at 1:51 AM Post #15,635 of 20,685
Is there any difference in old vs new revision of focal utopia ? Or it's just packaging and cables ?
As far as I know it's exactly the same headphone, but maybe some "old" users know something more.
This has been addressed a few times in the thread. It's just packaging, same headphones.

Jul 31, 2021 at 2:06 AM Post #15,637 of 20,685
Addition of 4 pin xlr and packaging I think

Jul 31, 2021 at 2:49 AM Post #15,638 of 20,685
The Luxman is huge. It’s regular component size, heavy and built like a tank. The Utopia’s sound great on it. I wouldn’t mind trying out the Utopia’s on the new McIntosh MHA200.

I’ve read in review that this mcintosh is powerful, but sounds flat with microdynamics that are lacking behind...review was done with stock tubes though.

in Europe I’m a bit limited with tube amp options. would really stick with luxman as everything sounds nice with this combo, maybe a touch too polite, but it’s size...Not sure if there are many headphones amps made that could match luxman there. 🙈

Jul 31, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #15,639 of 20,685
I’ve read in review that this mcintosh is powerful, but sounds flat with microdynamics that are lacking behind...review was done with stock tubes though.

in Europe I’m a bit limited with tube amp options. would really stick with luxman as everything sounds nice with this combo, maybe a touch too polite, but it’s size...Not sure if there are many headphones amps made that could match luxman there. 🙈
The Luxman does have great tone. Choice of DAC can counteract that politeness. In my case, I’m using a Chord Dave which can be very incisive and it pairs great with the Luxman.

Jul 31, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #15,640 of 20,685
The Luxman does have great tone. Choice of DAC can counteract that politeness. In my case, I’m using a Chord Dave which can be very incisive and it pairs great with the Luxman.

I will definitely look into offerings of used market. I know myself though, after Dave I would start eyeing on mscaler 🙈

Jul 31, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #15,641 of 20,685
I will definitely look into offerings of used market. I know myself though, after Dave I would start eyeing on mscaler 🙈
The M-Scaler is as close to a must have as any component. It’s great with my Dave!

Aug 1, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #15,643 of 20,685
Screenshot_20210802-001246_Roon.jpg

Have a listen to this album, and this song in particular.

It sounds amazing with the Utopia. Love the strong central imaging and peripherally placed elements going on at the same time. I listen to this song/album and wonder how people say the soundstage width on the utopia is small. Love the snappiness and it is just so detailed and pinpoint. Plus I'm not getting any harshness at all. Just the right amount of grittiness when needed. Awesome bass punch and texture/detail. Haunting realism..

Solidifies the Utopia as my number 1 favourite headphone. It was my first totl headphone and I could have just stopped there.

*edit

And check out the percussions and imaging on "Across from My Window" on the same album.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #15,644 of 20,685
i can't relate to that criticism of the utopia. if i want to experience soundstage then i'll listen to loudspeakers.

i guess i should add that i find the utopia's 'headstage' is recording dependent.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #15,645 of 20,685
I'm reaching for the Utopia a lot recently. My brain knows Susvara has a smoother tone and TC has a bigger soundstage, but the Utopia has such a unique allure. For longer sessions, I might consciously and strategically grab the Susvara or TC. But sometimes I just want a quick hit of HiFi and Utopia is the one that gives me the strongest instant gratification. It's a special headphone, long live the Utopia. :L3000:

_DSC8801-4.jpg

is this your 4th utopia? I am waiting for the local AD here to restock; will be my 4th set if I proceed w the purchase

Users who are viewing this thread

Back