Focal Utopia General Discussion
Aug 6, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #15,676 of 20,644
My recommendation would be to upgrade your digital source first. Ditch the laptop and go for a low noise network streamer powered by a good LPS.

There are a lot of options out there but I'm partial to the Allo offerings, USBridge Signature/DigiOne Signature, and their Shanti LPS. I think this upgrade would be a better bang for the buck upgrade that adds some meat to the sound and improves background blackness/PRaT.

Thanks for the info dontfeedphills. Can I access music streams from that build ? I know that my macbook USB interface is noisy, but that is the reason I bought Denafrips Iris DDC. From there Denafrips Iris connects to Qutest Dac via optical. Do you think dedicated streamer would push further in sound quality than my current setup ?

Aug 6, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #15,677 of 20,644
Thanks for the info dontfeedphills. Can I access music streams from that build ? I know that my macbook USB interface is noisy, but that is the reason I bought Denafrips Iris DDC. From there Denafrips Iris connects to Qutest Dac via optical. Do you think dedicated streamer would push further in sound quality than my current setup ?

I used my network stream in conjunction with Roon, but there are many ways to use it without pay to play software.

My approach has always been to inject as little (electrical) noise as possible from the get-go rather than trying to remove it with "cleaners" and re-clockers. I've found making sure it's not there to begin with to work and sound better than trying to remove it once it's in the chain. YMMV, of course.

Aug 6, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #15,678 of 20,644
I used my network stream in conjunction with Roon, but there are many ways to use it without pay to play software.

My approach has always been to inject as little (electrical) noise as possible from the get-go rather than trying to remove it with "cleaners" and re-clockers. I've found making sure it's not there to begin with to work and sound better than trying to remove it once it's in the chain. YMMV, of course.

Seems your option is more logical and won't break a bank to test. What is the difference between those USBridge Signature/DigiOne Signature ?

This Allo player can be used only with locally stored music or I should be able to access stream platforms as well ?

Aug 6, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #15,679 of 20,644
Seems your option is more logical and won't break a bank to test. What is the difference between those USBridge Signature/DigiOne Signature ?

This Allo player can be used only with locally stored music or I should be able to access stream platforms as well ?

USBridge Signature has a clean USB output, while the DigiOne Signature uses coax. I had both because the DigiOne Sig can stack on top of the USBridge Sig, so I could choose either coax or USB, plus the USBridge Sig has a much nicer case.

I started out using a piece of software named Volumio which could easily handle local content and Tidal. I eventually just went with Roon because it's a very clean piece of software that's really unique in how well it integrates streaming platforms, local content, and end-points.

Aug 6, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #15,680 of 20,644
Which dac are you suggesting ? I've finished my desktop setup Macbook -> Denafrip Iris -> Qutest -> Luxman p1 Amp to Utopia and it sounds a bit thin and polite. Though detail retrieval, imaging is best I've heard so far. Not sure which part of the chain I need to look at to give more meat to the notes and add more bite

I'm a bit scared of R2R dac as a bit of graininess are usually reported from them. I want to keep that smooth signature of Utopia. Soekris 2541 was on my short list of DAC's as well, but glowing balls of qutest got me :) Though there is an option to sell qutest and get a different dac
Qutest is a fine dac. Definitely something that can be improve but generally I find an amp to be much more effective in altering the tonality of the driver.
I'd recommend getting a tube amp to complement your solid state amp. Most tube amps in the lower price range will likely not resolve as well as your Luxman but they do introduce some form of coloration to the sound which could very well be what you are looking for. The very best tube amps I've heard are not overly warm or rich. These amps resolves as well as any solid state I've heard and gives a sort of "meat to the notes" without sounding slow or gooey.

For higher end tube amps, I'd recommend checking out the DNA Stellaris if your budget permits. Else you can look at either the Starlett or Euphoria. The euphoria will introduce more warmth than the other 2 amps but somehow I do find it works relatively well with the utopia but it is not as resolving as the Starlett.

Aug 6, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #15,681 of 20,644
USBridge Signature has a clean USB output, while the DigiOne Signature uses coax. I had both because the DigiOne Sig can stack on top of the USBridge Sig, so I could choose either coax or USB, plus the USBridge Sig has a much nicer case.

I started out using a piece of software named Volumio which could easily handle local content and Tidal. I eventually just went with Roon because it's a very clean piece of software that's really unique in how well it integrates streaming platforms, local content, and end-points.

I will definitely try it, if results will be good I will simply sell IRIS ddc.

Qutest is a fine dac. Definitely something that can be improve but generally I find an amp to be much more effective in altering the tonality of the driver.
I'd recommend getting a tube amp to complement your solid state amp. Most tube amps in the lower price range will likely not resolve as well as your Luxman but they do introduce some form of coloration to the sound which could very well be what you are looking for. The very best tube amps I've heard are not overly warm or rich. These amps resolves as well as any solid state I've heard and gives a sort of "meat to the notes" without sounding slow or gooey.

For higher end tube amps, I'd recommend checking out the DNA Stellaris if your budget permits. Else you can look at either the Starlett or Euphoria. The euphoria will introduce more warmth than the other 2 amps but somehow I do find it works relatively well with the utopia but it is not as resolving as the Starlett.

For Utopia I nearly went for custom build OTL amplifier, but I find out that Utopia is not good with OTL amps due to lower impedance. Doing research for better fit I found Romanian based company "Dominance" which does tube based guitar/headphone amps. They told me that they got a headphone amp which would perfectly fit utopia. The interesting thing is that I'm unable to find any info about their tube amps which has adjustable output impedance.
One of them --> http://dominance-amps.com/trinity-triode-pure-class-a-2a3-amplifier/

Not sure though if to bite the bullet or save for better option

Dna Stellaris are too much for my pocket, I was really interested in Eddie Current Zana Deux, but it's impossible to find such in Europe. Euphoria looks interesting option, but I've read that there are much better price/performance offerings. They increased prices for their amps by a lot when became more known

Aug 6, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #15,682 of 20,644
I was really interested in Eddie Current Zana Deux, but it's impossible to find such in Europe.
You might still be able to get the studio b before Craig decides to wind down.

Euphoria looks interesting option, but I've read that there are much better price/performance offerings. They increased prices for their amps by a lot when became more known
Did not know about the price increase. I was under the impression that they are still around the 2k mark. The Starlett is pretty much the benchmark for me at that price point. Only downside for all DNA amps is the waiting time.

Aug 6, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #15,683 of 20,644
@hakunamakaka -- amusingly, I am running a USBridge Sig/Digione Sig box powered by a Shanti, all of which I purchased from ... wait for it ... @dontfeedphils :)

And I'm very happy with it. He had it set up with another build (Ropieee) which he was running when using it as a Roon endpoint. But once I go Volumio going, it's been great. Spotifiy & Tidal work well, and it's playing from DLNA on my NAS, as well as local music from a USB SSD.

I had been using a NUC Windows PC as a source into a Singxer SU-1, but there's no going back. Great sound quality and usability -- highly recommended.

BTW, I am running BNC S/PDIF from the Digione to my mScaler which is serving as a 'digital preamp' to my Gumby and TT2 (optical out to Gumby, dual BNC to TT2).

Aug 6, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #15,684 of 20,644
@hakunamakaka -- amusingly, I am running a USBridge Sig/Digione Sig box powered by a Shanti, all of which I purchased from ... wait for it ... @dontfeedphils :)

And I'm very happy with it. He had it set up with another build (Ropieee) which he was running when using it as a Roon endpoint. But once I go Volumio going, it's been great. Spotifiy & Tidal work well, and it's playing from DLNA on my NAS, as well as local music from a USB SSD.

I had been using a NUC Windows PC as a source into a Singxer SU-1, but there's no going back. Great sound quality and usability -- highly recommended.

BTW, I am running BNC S/PDIF from the Digione to my mScaler which is serving as a 'digital preamp' to my Gumby and TT2 (optical out to Gumby, dual BNC to TT2).

Glad it's been a good purchase for you, especially after the USPS tried to keep the Shanti for themselves lol.

Aug 6, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #15,685 of 20,644
Aug 7, 2021 at 7:20 AM Post #15,686 of 20,644
doing a bit of listening before dinner time..
Utopia + Singxer SA-1
seriously good. those looking for a modest budget amp.. this one plays well with the big boys.
it has such an unassuming outer appearance. but it really delivers. it isn't a WA33 but then again it doesn't give me the impression like it is trying to be anything it isnt. just super clean, detailed, transparent, and fast.
i did not do the jumper mod on mine.

Aug 7, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #15,687 of 20,644
doing a bit of listening before dinner time..
Utopia + Singxer SA-1
seriously good. those looking for a modest budget amp.. this one plays well with the big boys.
it has such an unassuming outer appearance. but it really delivers. it isn't a WA33 but then again it doesn't give me the impression like it is trying to be anything it isnt. just super clean, detailed, transparent, and fast.
i did not do the jumper mod on mine.
There is some pretty good mid-fi gear out here. I also like the Yulong Aquila II although it’s an all in one

Aug 8, 2021 at 12:53 AM Post #15,688 of 20,644
I listened to the Utopias all day today. I was just groovin’ and enjoying the music. At times I forgot I had headphones on. Every once in a way I’d go into critical listening mode, and I really like the 3D presentation the Utopias have. It’s one of the most 3D sounding headphones out. I wish the soundstage was a little bigger, but the “intimate” soundstage does make it easier to “see” the entire soundstage, I guess 🤷‍♂️

One other thing is these headphones are super comfortable. No discomfort or hot spots after 6+ hours

I did a little comparison with the Solitaire Ps and Utopias, and I think if you like the Utopias, you’d like the Solitaire Ps. They share many of the same qualities as the Utopias. I originally called the Solitaire Ps a planar version of the Utopias. I still stand by the assessment.

The Ps have a little bit larger soundstsge and present bass differently (the Ps have the tightest bass I’ve ever heard), but like the Utopias they do pretty much everything well. There aren’t any “wow” moments, but there aren’t any bad moments either. Like the Utopias, the Solitaire Ps are very well-rounded headphones.

Aug 8, 2021 at 2:19 AM Post #15,689 of 20,644
I listened to the Utopias all day today. I was just groovin’ and enjoying the music. At times I forgot I had headphones on. Every once in a way I’d go into critical listening mode, and I really like the 3D presentation the Utopias have. It’s one of the most 3D sounding headphones out. I wish the soundstage was a little bigger, but the “intimate” soundstage does make it easier to “see” the entire soundstage, I guess 🤷‍♂️

One other thing is these headphones are super comfortable. No discomfort or hot spots after 6+ hours

I did a little comparison with the Solitaire Ps and Utopias, and I think if you like the Utopias, you’d like the Solitaire Ps. They share many of the same qualities as the Utopias. I originally called the Solitaire Ps a planar version of the Utopias. I still stand by the assessment.

The Ps have a little bit larger soundstsge and present bass differently (the Ps have the tightest bass I’ve ever heard), but like the Utopias they do pretty much everything well. There aren’t any “wow” moments, but there aren’t any bad moments either. Like the Utopias, the Solitaire Ps are very well-rounded headphones.
Nice. I look forward to receiving my Utopias. I received the Radiance recently, and I am enjoying those a lot, so here’s to hoping I like the Utopia more than I did the Stellia..

I need to find an opportunity to demo the Solitaire P.

Aug 8, 2021 at 2:38 AM Post #15,690 of 20,644
Nice. I look forward to receiving my Utopias. I received the Radiance recently, and I am enjoying those a lot, so here’s to hoping I like the Utopia more than I did the Stellia..

I need to find an opportunity to demo the Solitaire P.
For what it's worth, I did not care for the Stellia but love the Utopia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back