Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jan 10, 2018 at 12:59 AM Post #5,941 of 20,602
Well I've absolutely loved the 009 for 3 years now; just looking for something different that can compete or maybe even beat (in some parameters that are priorities to me). I don't find the 009 even close to fatiguing/bright with the right amp & source (BHSE, Yggy). Like PeteSTRADAMUS, I heard the Utopia absolutely smoke the Clear when I tried them next to each other. No contest. I don't know what the heck Tyll is hearing, but his writings/recommendations are worth only entertainment value for me. And I just never liked the HD800; you couldn't pay me to listen to it for more than a few minutes, ugh (yes, I've heard them out of GS-X, SDS XLR, etc). Obviously personal preferences are getting impossible to predict against this ever expanding and diverisfying top-tier strata of headphones!

Haven't heard the HD800S, but there's no way I'm going down that road; Sennheiser lost me there. Sad, I remember the days when a brand new HD580 was a stone cold bargain for a newbie (like me), the HD600 w/ Cardas smurf cable was the raging flavor-of-the-month here on head-fi, and a bunch of guys were eagerly waiting on the 1st batch of Headamp Gilmore V2 (predecessor of GS-1) to ship, etc.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 1:54 AM Post #5,942 of 20,602
We all here differently, right! While I was listening to SZA I was thinking “what is it about all this high end equipment am I searching for” and it hit me.. in the midst of the song and all the instruments playing, there’s this emasculate separation and placement of everything. As I listen, she has a beautiful vibrato as she sings. I can feel her emotion, her pain, .almost as if she sung the song right after a major breakup from her guy lol... I can “feel” what she’s wanting to convey, even with all the instruments playing I can hear her so clearly.

The HD800S and Utopia has REALLY good base..if I can feel my ears rumble the base is good enough for me. the HDV820 pairs sooooo darn well with my HD800S, Utopia goes REALLY well with Chord Hugo 2.

Jan 10, 2018 at 6:54 AM Post #5,943 of 20,602
I had the Clear for over a month. They aren't even close. And I haven't truly heard the Utopia in all its glory. I wish I never wasted my time with the Clear, even though they were awesome. These "Utopia" just sound like something Aliens created. It fits what I'm after in how my music should sound to my ears.
“These Utopia just sound like something Aliens created” LOL

Its difficult for me to say to people on here “the Clears are not as good as the Utopia” it sounds wayyyyy too negative since the Clears are killer.... BUT I feel the Utopia due to its speed and transparency trumps the Clear.

Do I think the Clears are super far off? Well I wouldn’t go that far ha but it seems like you and I appreciate the same qualities in the Utopia that make it out of this world!
FC2E0938-FAEC-4295-836A-D0EE8D0721AC.jpeg

(So I did the headphones free hand, and I have pretty big hands...yeah, it took me probably 15 min to draw those stupid lines on there!

I was going to draw the Focal emblem real big on the cans but realized that is only on the Clear and the Elear :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 10, 2018 at 7:45 AM Post #5,944 of 20,602
“These Utopia just sound like something Aliens created” LOL

Its difficult for me to say to people on here “the Clears are not as good as the Utopia” it sounds wayyyyy too negative since the Clears are killer.... BUT I feel the Utopia due to its speed and transparency trumps the Clear.

Do I think the Clears are super far off? Well I wouldn’t go that far ha but it seems like you and I appreciate the same qualities in the Utopia that make it out of this world!
(So I did the headphones free hand, and I have pretty big hands...yeah, it took me probably 15 min to draw those stupid lines on there!

I was going to draw the Focal emblem real big on the cans but realized that is only on the Clear and the Elear :wink:
Thought he had ear muffs on since it is the Antarctic breeze outdoors lmao

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #5,945 of 20,602
What it comes down to me is that I really, really enjoy the detail and realism the Utopia provide for me. Fun to my ears is nitpicking the track apart. I don't want calm relaxing sound. I'm in love with the attack, that's calming to me I guess.

Jan 10, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #5,946 of 20,602
Can this clock speed up in my office to 17:00 so I can go home and listen to these suckers again. Got them at home burning in on my POS backup cellphone. "low volume" of course.

Jan 10, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #5,947 of 20,602
Hello all,

Finally joined this great family! This is the sound I've been looking for since starting with headphones back in 2008 with my DT880.

9936577_l.jpg

Looking good...
9936578_l.png

Jan 10, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #5,948 of 20,602
Hello all,

Finally joined this great family! This is the sound I've been looking for since starting with headphones back in 2008 with my DT880.

9936577_l.jpg

Looking good...
Congrats dude! They are something else entirely. Sounds of heaven on you're ears.

Jan 10, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #5,950 of 20,602
Got them from @TSAVAlan @TSAVJason. Great guys! They have a special deal for remaining stock Utopias. If anyone is interested just give them a call. Comes with 5 year warranty.

Jan 10, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #5,951 of 20,602
Utopia and Sennheiser HD800S sounds so good out HDV820 and Hugo2...

Jan 10, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #5,952 of 20,602
I think part of the problem with the clear vs utopia debate is price.....it is impossible for a reviewer not to take price into consideration but it seems to me that tyll should say that for 1500 dollars he thinks the clear is the best available or something to that effect....if you have the money available i am quite sure the utopia is the better choice but if you are ranking based upon bang for the buck it might well be different....the 100K mercedes is better than the 40K mercedes but if taking price into account the 40K might be the better choice...personally i think the HP should be rated in terms of performance without price and then one can choose based on their budget otherwise i think we confuse things...just my 2 cents
The Chord Dave is better than the Yiggy but for the price perhaps the Yiggy is the better choice...etc

Jan 10, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #5,953 of 20,602
I think part of the problem with the clear vs utopia debate is price.....it is impossible for a reviewer not to take price into consideration but it seems to me that tyll should say that for 1500 dollars he thinks the clear is the best available or something to that effect....if you have the money available i am quite sure the utopia is the better choice but if you are ranking based upon bang for the buck it might well be different....the 100K mercedes is better than the 40K mercedes but if taking price into account the 40K might be the better choice...personally i think the HP should be rated in terms of performance without price and then one can choose based on their budget otherwise i think we confuse things...just my 2 cents
The Chord Dave is better than the Yiggy but for the price perhaps the Yiggy is the better choice...etc
From my point of view, it's crazy taking off the Utopia and placing the Clear there instead. I now own the Utopia and had the Clear since it came out. I no longer have the Clear, but to me, it is several levels lower In sound quality. That is how I truly feel about the 2 headphones. So, his list lost credibility to me.

Jan 10, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #5,954 of 20,602
@PeteSTRADAMUS
The Clear is definitely not "several levels lower in sound quality" than the Utopia. Think about what you're saying?
You may prefer the Utopia to the Clear for its differences (which is fine) but that's just a matter of personal
preference because they both have 2 totally different presentations, and both are very good at what they do.

Jan 10, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #5,955 of 20,602
@PeteSTRADAMUS
The Clear is definitely not "several levels lower in sound quality" than the Utopia. Think about what you're saying?
You may prefer the Utopia to the Clear for its differences (which is fine) but that's just a matter of personal
preference because they both have 2 totally different presentations, and both are very good at what they do.
For my preference and sound. They are several levels lower to me. "to my own ears". Technically they way inferior technology-wise too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back