Focal Utopia General Discussion
Sep 11, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #4,471 of 20,624
Well, I have both the Utopia and 800 S. Does not make me toss away the Senns.
Anyway, do any of you notice the vocal on the Utopia can sound, for a lack of better word, bitchy. On many modern pop recording or most pop recordings in the 90s, where songs are processed to have that added treble, I can't enjoy the Utopia with them. It's like vocal being sibilant but without the "ssss". I don't find that with 800S.
Orchestra and unprocessed recording sounds very good on Utopia.
Well, it's not like i don't want to keep it. I like HD800s soundstage and neutrality, plus i was planning to use it for gaming as well.
But, my budget is limited, i can only afford one of them. So, i decided to return the HD800S, and get the Utopia instead.

Sep 11, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #4,472 of 20,624
I'm in the same boat as you, all of my interconnects and headphone cables are silver (Lavricables and Kimber) I run balanced where I can and Kimber KCAG single ended where I need an RCA. My power is copper. Custom and Nordost Red Dawn. If I may ask, who's headphone cables are you using?

My headphone cable is made in the same city that you seems to live in. Toronto!

I have a good customer relationship with Steven Huang of Audio Sensibility (I even accept to help him at the last Montreal Audio Fest in march) and he accept to made me the only Signature version that I know of his Statement headphone cable. I already had the Statement headphone cable for my now sold Audeze LCD-2 and want the best for my Utopias. The Statement is made of 24 AWG OCC silver. I sent back the cable to Steven and he doubled the silvers conductors going from 4 to 8 conductors. It's now a 21 AWG OCC silver cable. Pretty good gauge for OCC silver. I love Steven's Signature cables. Fantastic build quality, looks gorgeous (well if you like snakes!) and of course and most importantly, they are terrific performers for the price even if they are still expensive.

Sep 12, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #4,474 of 20,624
HI I just received upotia very good first impression I will let U guys for my feedback later once got enough burn in time hyappy liestening everybody.

I'm in the same boat. My Utopia's came in this afternoon. I have them cooking on my set up. They do sound good right out of the box. A different presentation from my HE 1000 V2's. I've played a few sound tracks and yes they do sound really good. My biggest beef is the 1/4" cable that comes with these headphones. They remind of budget interconnects from the Eighties. They don't feel up to the quality of the Utopia's. The other beef is single ended. They should have come with a 4 pin balanced cable. I'm just in the process of ordering one tomorrow. Other than the cables, so far so good.

Sep 12, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #4,476 of 20,624
...and the Utopias sonically can do so much more too. Swapping out the stock cable with the Dana Cables Lanzuli Reference cable was a revelation at just how much better sound (including sound staging) was still in these headphones.

Sep 12, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #4,477 of 20,624
...and the Utopias sonically can do so much more too. Swapping out the stock cable with the Dana Cables Lanzuli Reference cable was a revelation at just how much better sound (including sound staging) was still in these headphones.

I just looked up the spec on your Dana cables. I noticed that they are copper. Have you tried silver cables? I'm ready to order cables tomorrow and I happen to love Lavricables silver for my HE 1000 V2's.

Sep 12, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #4,478 of 20,624
I just looked up the spec on your Dana cables. I noticed that they are copper. Have you tried silver cables? I'm ready to order cables tomorrow and I happen to love Lavricables silver for my HE 1000 V2's.

I had a Silver Dragon V3...great cable too, but the Lanzuli Reference is the best cable I've heard with them. But the comparisons aren't totally fair due to the 3x price difference. The sound staging on the Lanzuli Reference really surprised me as I never have previously experienced such a profound improvement in SQ with a cable upgrade.

Sep 12, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #4,481 of 20,624
I had a Silver Dragon V3...great cable too, but the Lanzuli Reference is the best cable I've heard with them. But the comparisons aren't totally fair due to the 3x price difference. The sound staging on the Lanzuli Reference really surprised me as I never have previously experienced such a profound improvement in SQ with a cable upgrade.

I have Black Dragon's in XLR configuration for my HE 1000's they are OK but I use them for really bright applications. I prefer the Lavricables silver. My observation with the Moon Audio Cables is that they are smaller gauge and I think that a larger gauge has a direct affect on the sound quality. That might explain you experience with the Lanzuli reference.

Sep 12, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #4,482 of 20,624
If u like try occ silver cable better look at audio sensibility utopia statement cable for 579 canadian.

I'm impressed with your loyalty to Audio Sensibility. The price is for 1.5 Meters, a length that doesn't work for me. I don't sit beside my equipment. I don't understand a 1.5 meter length for headphone applications. I need 4 Meters. That brings it in at $979 Cdn. That's not far off of Lavricables Masterline 20 core silver for a similar length.

Sep 12, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #4,484 of 20,624
I'm impressed with your loyalty to Audio Sensibility. The price is for 1.5 Meters, a length that doesn't work for me. I don't sit beside my equipment. I don't understand a 1.5 meter length for headphone applications. I need 4 Meters. That brings it in at $979 Cdn. That's not far off of Lavricables Masterline 20 core silver for a similar length.

IMO 24 AWG OCC silver cable are not enough to extract the full potential of the Utopias. They sounded a bit lean with the Testament. Problem solved going from 24 AWG to 21 AWG. Fuller sound with perfect bass. And I am coming from Audeze headphones. If you're on a budget, I would suggest bigger gauge OCC copper over 24 AWG OCC silver for Utopias. 24 AWG OCC silver was perfect with my old Audeze LCD-2 and their thick, closed sound. But not for the Utopias.

As for loyalty towards Audio Sensibility, it's just that Steven Huang is a really nice no BS guy that happened to make great products at fair prices. I also got a lot of his cables and power distribution box after comparison with other brands. Just feel good trusty feeling. He's certainly not the only good cables maker out there.To each his own I guess...

Sep 13, 2017 at 12:17 AM Post #4,485 of 20,624
Well, after looking at the Sonarworks FR graph, I decided to "self-compensate" and try a little EQ. I'm liking it quite a bit. here's what I'm using. It adds just a bit of sparkle and punch to bring the Utopia to flat.

Sonarworks FR graph:
index.php

My EQ compensation:
9935151_l.png

Anyone else using EQ wanna post your settings?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back