Focal Utopia General Discussion
Sep 15, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #4,502 of 20,634
If you want to try an entirely different category of DACs, try R2R. While each model has its' own nuances, most R2Rs are considered more "analog" sounding with very high resolution. They tend to be pricey but Schiit has several at multiple price points. The Gungnir MB would be a solid upgrade since it is a fully balanced DAC. Beyond that, you have Yggy, Holo DAC, Metreum and those go up into the $3-5K range and you would also invest in a lot of USB de-crapifying stuff and exotic i2S type interfaces. Probably the best "value" would be Gungnir MB with the new Gen 5 USB. Keep in mind as you go up the price range of DACs, they tend to be more neutral and transparent so if you like that slight mid to bass warmth of Mojo, there really isn't a high end DAC that has the same, except for the Hugo 2 with Mojo filter turned on.

The hugo 2 and TT actually ctosd my mind, since i really like how chord products represent details so far.

From impression and reviews that i read the hugo 2 can lean on the bright side and has less body than mojo, even when using the mojo filter, the change is apparently abysmally minimal some people can't hear the difference.

The TT apparently has all the details but sounds natural with good body, but idk if i want to spend that much.

Hence looking for alternatives, btw is it true that schiit DAC's needs long warm up time to sound their best?
I think this will be very inconvenient for me in the summer when my room is hot already.

Sep 15, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #4,504 of 20,634
Hi guys,

What would be a good DAC to upgrade from The chord Mojo for The utopia?
I'm thinking of upgarding MY DAC abit, and just use the mojo for OTG solution or even sell it, depending on how it works out ltr.

I want a good upgrade on the sound quality department but still want to keep the warm coloration of the mojo if possible, since I don't want the utopia to be brighter then what it is now.

My current set-up is:
Chord mojo -> Cavalli LC -> Norne audio Arcane cable -> Utopia

main Genre:
Metal & progressive Rock/metal fusion

I just got The Utopia not long ago, so still trying to find out what will work best for my needs and also because The utopia is easy to drive, i think it's more important to upgrade the DAC first when trying ti go upscale.

I would go with the Hugo 2 --> Utopia and then save up for a DAVE. :p Seriously, the Hugo 2 with the Utopia are just a brilliant combination. Adding anything in between will only colour the sound. Heck I've tried putting in my GS-X MK2 in between and couldn't detect any concrete improvements with the Utopias. :)

Sep 15, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #4,505 of 20,634
Btw, does the hugo 2 sounds as good if compared to other full desktop solution?
And can you hear differences between the filters?
From what you were looking for in regards to a step up from mojo and keeping that sound is why I recommended Hugo 2. Not to mention tons of people who think it can stand its own for a desktop DAC.

I have YET to hear the darn thing because instead of cracking one open for a demo unit at the store we are selling them about as fast as we are getting them in. therfore negating the need to open one :frowning2:

Sep 15, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #4,506 of 20,634
what is your price point ? U have lot of choice. MP- D2 MK2 with chip and tube, cap upgrade option for max 2000 USD or holo spring 3 with singxer su1 for 3000 USD That is my two top choice for under 5 grand and for 6800$ PSaudio DS with Bridge2 for under 10 grand . I think those are best option for right now.

Sep 15, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #4,507 of 20,634
I would go with the Hugo 2 --> Utopia and then save up for a DAVE. :p Seriously, the Hugo 2 with the Utopia are just a brilliant combination. Adding anything in between will only colour the sound. Heck I've tried putting in my GS-X MK2 in between and couldn't detect any concrete improvements with the Utopias. :)

Haha, maybe I should sell everything nad then just by the Hugo 2, lol.

I may need to audition first just to be sure, hehe.

can you tell the difference between the filters?

Sep 15, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #4,508 of 20,634
Haha, maybe I should sell everything nad then just by the Hugo 2, lol.

I may need to audition first just to be sure, hehe.

can you tell the difference between the filters?

The filters are subtle and don't change the DAC completely, but still audible and I'm glad that they are there. :)

Sep 15, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #4,509 of 20,634
The filters are subtle and don't change the DAC completely, but still audible and I'm glad that they are there. :)

Actually, using The Chord hugo2 -> utopia seems very convenient, however since the filter change is only subtle, i need to really like how it sounds as intended.

I should probably give this a demo when I have a chance.

Sep 15, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #4,510 of 20,634
Hugo2 I am not sure there is lot of different feedback from over here already and I never like their sound except Dave. Even Dave for DSD I dont think Its better than other DAC for same price range . Total DAC or Ayre Acustic QR-5 Twenty, MSB Analog DAC with latest upgrade usb, power base unit are better sounding DAC for my experience.

Sep 15, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #4,511 of 20,634
Hugo2 I am not sure there is lot of different feedback from over here already and I never like their sound except Dave. Even Dave for DSD I dont think Its better than other DAC for same price range . Total DAC or Ayre Acustic QR-5 Twenty, MSB Analog DAC with latest upgrade usb, power base unit are better sounding DAC for my experience.

well, i never hear the dave, but i don't think i'll be spending that much money for auadio with the diminishing return law hitting super hard, i don't know about the DAC you mentioned, but open to suggestion. the problem is i don't buy equipment without trying it, and I don't think i can find a place where i can try these.

Sep 15, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #4,512 of 20,634
From what you were looking for in regards to a step up from mojo and keeping that sound is why I recommended Hugo 2. Not to mention tons of people who think it can stand its own for a desktop DAC.

I have YET to hear the darn thing because instead of cracking one open for a demo unit at the store we are selling them about as fast as we are getting them in. therfore negating the need to open one :frowning2:

Yup it's next to impossible to put one in display since the H2 is backordered. I personally think the distributor is ordering in small quantities for the North American market. I order 24 I get 3, I order 48 I get 3. It's crazy

Last edited:
The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Sep 16, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #4,514 of 20,634
Yup it's next to impossible to put one in display since the H2 is backordered. I personally think the distributor is ordering in small quantities for the North American market. I order 24 I get 3, I order 48 I get 3. It's crazy
Same here Jason!!! We just have a silver left that we got not too long ago. Suspecting it will be gone in less then a week.

It has to be the case with them just giving small batches. :frowning2:

Sep 16, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #4,515 of 20,634
Same here Jason!!! We just have a silver left that we got not too long ago. Suspecting it will be gone in less then a week.

It has to be the case with them just giving small batches. :frowning2:

It bites really. My shipments come in and go out in the same day. You're lucky to have one. I'll send you a customer on Monday to buy the Silver unit.

To keep one of my very patient customers happy I gave him my demo unit 10 minutes after I put it out on display. Now they are raising the prices on Chord products using parts availability as the reason. I don't believe it. I deal with about 80 brands and somehow Chord's NA distributor is the only one making the claim ....like I said, I don't believe it. I think it's the distributor not Chord. Chord is too big to not forecast parts far enough out to keep things consistent just my opinion. I could be wrong.

It does however pair pretty well with the Utopia. :) cheers

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back