Focal Utopia General Discussion
Aug 13, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #4,246 of 20,602
My first and second Utopia never sound like that with the same SACD album. Tested my Aeon and did not hear any rattle with same setup.
When I first got the Utopia's, I was hearing a few odd things going on with the bass but after a period of brain adjustment, I realized it was the utopia's ability to bring out what I was not hearing before. The Utopia actually separates the lower bass from the mid and the mid from the upper bass, that's something many headphones cannot accomplish.

Not trying to sound like a Focal fanboy, just offering a few suggestions and a little insight. I bought my first set of headphones back in the late 70's so I've been at this for a while.

Aug 13, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #4,247 of 20,602
When I first got the Utopia's, I was hearing a few odd things going on with the bass but after a period of brain adjustment, I realized it was the utopia's ability to bring out what I was not hearing before. The Utopia actually separates the lower bass from the mid and the mid from the upper bass, that's something many headphones cannot accomplish.

Not trying to sound like a Focal fanboy, just offering a few suggestions and a little insight. I bought my first set of headphones back in the late 70's so I've been at this for a while.

I have to listen again after I receive it back from Focal this week. However, I think I have a defective unit because I never hear it like from first two units.

Aug 15, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #4,248 of 20,602
I've got my NAIM nd5 xs going through my Chord 2 qute then to my trilogy 933 headphone amp then to my focal utopia headphones with Nordost heimdall 2 cable,I've got Chord signature latest version for the digital cable but I've just part ex my analogue Chord signature tuned aray for a Arcam sound bar and sub for upstairs, just wondering if I'm gonna lose much in sound quality as I'm using 150 quid chord interconnects instead of 850 quid Signature , I've not listened yet,I'm dreading it if I'm honest but at least I don't have to listen to the TV speakers upstairs anymore and can still listen to the focal utopia headphones

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 3:24 AM Post #4,249 of 20,602
the Dave is absolutely perfect with the efficient Utopia....
Utopia is perfect for Wm1z also
I have to listen again after I receive it back from Focal this week. However, I think I have a defective unit because I never hear it like from first two units.
So, is your Utopia still not working correctly?

Aug 16, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #4,250 of 20,602
Utopia is perfect for Wm1z also

So, is your Utopia still not working correctly?

I received my Utopia yesterday.
Plugged with DX200 = Did not find anything wrong.
Tried DX200 lineout ( mini to RCA ) to Studio Six = Did not find anything wrong also.

Listen to music all day/night long. Very happy so far. So much details came out from DX200.

Have not try the SACD player to Studio Six yet or MBpro > K05 DAC > Studio Six yet.
Will see.

Thank you for asking.

Aug 16, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #4,251 of 20,602
I received my Utopia yesterday.
Plugged with DX200 = Did not find anything wrong.
Tried DX200 lineout ( mini to RCA ) to Studio Six = Did not find anything wrong also.

Listen to music all day/night long. Very happy so far. So much details came out from DX200.

Have not try the SACD player to Studio Six yet or MBpro > K05 DAC > Studio Six yet.
Will see.

Thank you for asking.

Congratulations on your Utopia acquisition. Don't worry if you hear obvious changes in the way it presents the same track over time. After the first 50 hours or so, the big changes seem to go away and only subtle improvements occur. Yes they are very detailed headphones and make your source sound its best in your system. Well that was my experience anyway.

Regards
GG

Aug 17, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #4,252 of 20,602
ill tell you what switching from the Utopia to the Beyer T1v2 was tougher then I thought... The Utopia just sounds so real and love how it sounds with Rap lol. Of all genres I would pick rap right? Well old Kanye just hits hard ok??

I was surprised how good it can sound out of just straight mojo as well... Major kudos for Focal to make a pretty efficient flagship

Aug 17, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #4,253 of 20,602
Sigh, I'm in Focal Utopia trouble :frowning2:

I purchased a used pair from a poster here in March but now have a problem with the right hand headphone piece. This last week there has been an obvious drop in the balance and with only a fair amount of volume, there is bad distortion. The basic problem is that the Australian agents do not want to know me as I made the purchase overseas. I have tried to make contact with Focal and admitted where I purchased them so understand no guarantee is likely to apply so asked for details about where to send them in France for manufacturer repair. So far no reply.

I'm unsure about what could have caused the problem. Initially I thought it might have been predisposed by a friend who visited a month ago because he, with bad hearing, had the volume set up painfully loud. But I did not detect any distortion/problem until weeks after that incident and have operated them with usual care, not dropping or abusing them. Regardless, they need repair.

This is the listening situation:

Roon in this good PC -> Auralic Streaming Bridge (LAN cable connected) -> AES balanced digital out via Canare cabling -> YGGDRASIL DAC -> Aurilac Taurus MKII headamp -> Focals in balanced modse via Black Dragon cabling.

The above system is left on 24/7 so maybe a nasty was transmitted sometime although I've no idea how or what could have happened to send nasty destructive signals to the focals. We live in a quiet, relatively isolated situation with only 4 of us on the local power transformer and none of the neighbours operates machinery that could feed in nasties to the power supply.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd be grateful. In the meantime I can live with my Sennheiser HD800S unit which is no slouch although a bit behind the Focals. Hopefully Focal will eventually respond and do not make the repair unecessarily complicated to have done. I appreciate how manufacturers like to keep a distribution chain neat and confined within countries but this should not mean they can abandon customer support.

John

Aug 18, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #4,254 of 20,602
Any chance the original owner can "broker" the repair for you with Focal? (assuming the original owner didn't get it via grey market)

Aug 19, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #4,256 of 20,602
Still no reply from Focal or from the original Utopia owner so I'm concerned about what service can be expected when buying these, either new from dealers, or used from previous owners.

I'm not trying to claim repair under guarantee, I just want them repaired. If anyone has any suggestions asbout who I could contact, they would be appreciated.

Aug 20, 2017 at 1:28 AM Post #4,257 of 20,602
I have finally ordered a custom cable for my Utopia, getting a Norene Audio Draug Silver cable, 6 foot, 4 pin XLR. I shall now play the waiting game lol. But Trevor from NornevAudio is a master craftsman and well worth the wait. Will post pictures once the cable has arrived.

Aug 20, 2017 at 6:03 AM Post #4,258 of 20,602
Sigh, I'm in Focal Utopia trouble :frowning2:

I purchased a used pair from a poster here in March but now have a problem with the right hand headphone piece. This last week there has been an obvious drop in the balance and with only a fair amount of volume, there is bad distortion. The basic problem is that the Australian agents do not want to know me as I made the purchase overseas. I have tried to make contact with Focal and admitted where I purchased them so understand no guarantee is likely to apply so asked for details about where to send them in France for manufacturer repair. So far no reply.

I'm unsure about what could have caused the problem. Initially I thought it might have been predisposed by a friend who visited a month ago because he, with bad hearing, had the volume set up painfully loud. But I did not detect any distortion/problem until weeks after that incident and have operated them with usual care, not dropping or abusing them. Regardless, they need repair.

This is the listening situation:

Roon in this good PC -> Auralic Streaming Bridge (LAN cable connected) -> AES balanced digital out via Canare cabling -> YGGDRASIL DAC -> Aurilac Taurus MKII headamp -> Focals in balanced modse via Black Dragon cabling.

The above system is left on 24/7 so maybe a nasty was transmitted sometime although I've no idea how or what could have happened to send nasty destructive signals to the focals. We live in a quiet, relatively isolated situation with only 4 of us on the local power transformer and none of the neighbours operates machinery that could feed in nasties to the power supply.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd be grateful. In the meantime I can live with my Sennheiser HD800S unit which is no slouch although a bit behind the Focals. Hopefully Focal will eventually respond and do not make the repair unecessarily complicated to have done. I appreciate how manufacturers like to keep a distribution chain neat and confined within countries but this should not mean they can abandon customer support.

John

You could probably:
1. Contact the guy who you bought it from and let him handle the repairs (there is a risk ofcourse that he will run off with your headphones). If he doesn't want to do it, then you can convince him with some money.
2. Arrange something with the dealer he bought it from. In the end, the Focal Utopia was bought from there so he could pretend that the original buyer has returned it for repairs. Whether the original buyer returns it for you, or you return it yourself, there is not really a big difference. Focal cannot know that the original buyer has sold off his headphone to you.
3. Just show Focal some money.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #4,259 of 20,602
I've PM'd him on this site but he has not responded so I've no clue which dealer is involved.

In my two contacts to Focal I'ver made it clear I do not expect any guarantee cover so am waving $$$ at them for help.

Hopefully someone will respond in the next couple of days. If not I'll form the opinion that anyone buying used Utopias should be aware that Focal will not help you if you get into trouble. In turn that means that Focal Utopias should not be purchased used which also means once you have paid megabucks for them you are stuck with them as they are not going to be a good item to sell.

Aug 20, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #4,260 of 20,602
I've PM'd him on this site but he has not responded so I've no clue which dealer is involved.

In my two contacts to Focal I'ver made it clear I do not expect any guarantee cover so am waving $$$ at them for help.

Hopefully someone will respond in the next couple of days. If not I'll form the opinion that anyone buying used Utopias should be aware that Focal will not help you if you get into trouble. In turn that means that Focal Utopias should not be purchased used which also means once you have paid megabucks for them you are stuck with them as they are not going to be a good item to sell.

You didn't get the receipt when you bought it 2nd hand? It should state where it is bought from I assume.

Maybe wait a few days, I sometimes don't see when people message me so he might have missed it also.

But I wouldn't definitely recommend buying a second hand Focal Utopia due to this warranty issue. It's better to buy it new and have full warranty.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back