Focal Utopia 2022 Review, Measurements
Aug 31, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #1,381 of 1,972
I bought my Utopia '22 for $4999 AUD from A2A back in early June ("B-Stock" - but it was hilarious, because it was classed b-stock only because the outer cardboard box had a small dent along one edge, it was a brand-new sealed unit with zero defects on the headphone, accessories or inner packaging).

If only I waited just under 3 months, could've saved another 1.5k!

The Focal Diablo Evo is tempting for the discount, but I think I'm going to pass and go for the KEF Reference 1 Meta which is still cheaper and has 5 years warranty.

What I find hilarious is A2A is selling off Focal Utopia Grand EM Evo stock for 60% MSRP but only 1 year warranty on that too. A $450K MSRP (as much as my house) speaker... with 1 year warranty.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2023 at 11:45 PM Post #1,383 of 1,972
While my only experience with RME is the ADI-2, I’d still say Naim as it’s a better AIO unit due to the streaming capability. I understand the newer RME ADI-2/4 PSE to have more grunt than the ADI-2, but the Naim isn’t lacking in that area so really, why not have an integrated streamer.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2023 at 5:03 AM Post #1,384 of 1,972
Well, I bit and ordered the 22 Utopia from A2A. Be rude not to at £2049GBP. After shipping and VAT duty I still get them around £2200GBP cheaper! I’ll be putting my Stellia up for sale. I can now go open back due to change of room. My missus could still hear the Stellia across the room. So she says. 🤔

Sep 1, 2023 at 7:11 PM Post #1,385 of 1,972
Sold my Utopias and bought the 22 version from A2A…admittedly there’s a better tuning but they are one of the most uncomfortable headphones I ever had. The pads seem to be smaller and put pressure on my ears. Probably must experiment more and find a better fit etc.
Still, no contest to Empyrean, Susvara or HD800S. Even Audeze are more comfortable.

Sep 1, 2023 at 7:42 PM Post #1,386 of 1,972
Empyrean and other headphones are more comfortable. Perhaps extend an extra notch or two? Uncomfortable is not how most describe the utopia.

The pads soften with time. My utopia OG pads are noticeably softer than the new 2022

Sep 1, 2023 at 8:57 PM Post #1,387 of 1,972
Empyrean and other headphones are more comfortable. Perhaps extend an extra notch or two? Uncomfortable is not how most describe the utopia.

The pads soften with time. My utopia OG pads are noticeably softer than the new 2022
Owned 4 different pairs of Utopia over the years and all very snug and comfy from day one. With the 22 version there seem to be a few pressure points, at least for my ears; something I didn’t expect at all.

Sep 1, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #1,388 of 1,972
Funnily enough the 22’s are more comfortable than the OG for me.

As you say, nothing like as comfortable as an Empyrean. Not much is though.

Sep 2, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #1,390 of 1,972
Would there be a benefit to use high gain on nutopia considering its relatively easy to drive?or should just stick to low gain?
Yes, depending on the topology of your amp. Like most cans, Utopia 22 also benefits from a higher watt amp - it's not related to volume.

Sep 2, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #1,391 of 1,972
Agree completely. I got to spend about an hour or so with the Nutopia at A2A before bringing one home with the Naim Unity Atom HE.

Having owned the RME in the past and used extensively with the OG Utopia, I would say Nutopia absolutely does not ‘need’ EQ, but that doesn’t mean it couldn’t be further improved. I always felt with the OG that it needed it to stop any fatigue and boost the low end slightly.

I setup the Naim with my desktop LSX last night (love this as a streamer, preamp and desktop audio controller), but I will get my Nutopia out tonight to really make the most of this amazing device.

Also, the USD conversion from $3499 AUD is $2260 USD give or take. This was a bargain never to be seen again I imagine. Crazy to consider that I paid 3k for my OG Utopia years ago and then sold it for close to that last year. So the Nutopia has basically cost $500 AUD more only.

Easily worth the upgrade IMO but only made possible by the crazy deals we’ve almost always had on TOTL Focal in AU.

did you experience any audio lag with the unit atom HE when playing videos? say YouTube or Netflix

Sep 2, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #1,392 of 1,972
Well, I bit and ordered the 22 Utopia from A2A. Be rude not to at £2049GBP. After shipping and VAT duty I still get them around £2200GBP cheaper! I’ll be putting my Stellia up for sale. I can now go open back due to change of room. My missus could still hear the Stellia across the room. So she says. 🤔
you'll enjoy the ugprade of Stellia to Utopia, it's a big one :wink:

Sep 2, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #1,393 of 1,972
I bought my Utopia '22 for $4999 AUD from A2A back in early June ("B-Stock" - but it was hilarious, because it was classed b-stock only because the outer cardboard box had a small dent along one edge, it was a brand-new sealed unit with zero defects on the headphone, accessories or inner packaging).

If only I waited just under 3 months, could've saved another 1.5k!

The Focal Diablo Evo is tempting for the discount, but I think I'm going to pass and go for the KEF Reference 1 Meta which is still cheaper and has 5 years warranty.

What I find hilarious is A2A is selling off Focal Utopia Grand EM Evo stock for 60% MSRP but only 1 year warranty on that too. A $450K MSRP (as much as my house) speaker... with 1 year warranty.
to be fair you could by two Grand EMs for the price of one and use the second pair as your warranty lol. No chance they have anything over a 0.1% failure rate

Sep 2, 2023 at 7:05 PM Post #1,394 of 1,972
Sold my Utopias and bought the 22 version from A2A…admittedly there’s a better tuning but they are one of the most uncomfortable headphones I ever had. The pads seem to be smaller and put pressure on my ears. Probably must experiment more and find a better fit etc.
Still, no contest to Empyrean, Susvara or HD800S. Even Audeze are more comfortable.
Wait for the pads to break in.

Sep 2, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #1,395 of 1,972
you'll enjoy the ugprade of Stellia to Utopia, it's a big one :wink:

Thanks. Will have to wait a couple of weeks for the Utopia to reach me. In the meantime I'm busy researching amps! 👍

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back