Focal Utopia 2022 Review, Measurements
Sep 5, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #1,411 of 1,972
IMG_4278.jpeg

Magnificent. The Utopia 2022 is amazing with Hans Zimmer.

The Utopia benefits from being driven properly. Adding the Cayin C9 added that extra dynamic punchiness.

A portable set-up doesn't get much better than this. Waiting for the Norne Audio balanced Vykari cable...

There's a lovely rich warmth. An intimate soundstage, as if you're sitting in front of a two channel setup in an acoustic room. More musical than the original Utopia. Less bright in those mids but the treble extension is still there.

2Go/Hugo2 with slight cross-feed to the Cayin C9 in Class A / Tube mode seems to be my current preference.

Very happy here. I think Utopia knocked the LCD-5 off my 'to go to' perch.
I have been saying for a while now the Chord Hugo2 with Canyin C9 is a great combo for most headphones.

Sep 5, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #1,412 of 1,972
Yep this is where I'm at. I've had a couple of THX AAA amps but I'm not sure if I'd prefer a slightly warmer (musical?) tone. I don't want to lose any of the Utopia's benefits. I do feel that the amps I've had are too clinical? I also can't go over £1500GBP so this rules out a lot of the high end amps. Currently looking at Violectric V222 or the Naim Uniti Atom headphone edition. I currently have the Fiio R7 which replaced a SMSL SU9/SH9 stack. I'm also in the UK so that presents some issues with amp availability.
I managed to get the Naim HE for £2000 from Sevenoaks Sound & Vision but I think there is little chance of them going to £1500. Maybe Black Friday might have some treats.

Doug Brady is doing the nUtopia for £3699 during September which is a grand off list and whilst I’d like them now I can wait until they are under £3000. Pity I don’t live in Perth!

Sep 5, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #1,413 of 1,972
I managed to get the Naim HE for £2000 from Sevenoaks Sound & Vision but I think there is little chance of them going to £1500. Maybe Black Friday might have some treats.

Doug Brady is doing the nUtopia for £3699 during September which is a grand off list and whilst I’d like them now I can wait until they are under £3000. Pity I don’t live in Perth!

I passed on the £1300 ebay Atom HE. Hifonix are selling the Arche for £1499 but now discontinued and no future support! Leaning towards the Violectric V222 but that adds a box to my Fiio R7. However, Thomann UK have a 30 day no quibble return and they'll even pay for return postage. Worth a trial.

Sep 6, 2023 at 1:37 AM Post #1,414 of 1,972
I just got back from A2A in Melbourne. I had a good listen of the 2022 Utopia and the HE1000 V2 Stealth out of a Burson GT. I didn't bother with the Susvara as they are out of my price range but have heard them before out of a WA33.

If I was to summarise it, HE1000 V2 Stealth have a slightly bigger and taller soundstage. More Subbass quantity. Resolution is on par with the Utopia. Yep these are an absolute steal for their price. They have an upper mid 'highlight' which enhances the details and this is very evident in string instruments. Very comfortable to wear for long periods. Both have good speed.

The Utopias are slightly warmer sounding (more balanced in the frequency spectrum would be more correct). The soundstage on the Utopias is slightly smaller. Does not have much height. Comfort is pretty average even when I am comparing these to ZMF Verite, LCD3 and LFF code X. Build quality is stellar. Utopias have more mid bass punch and overall more dynamic.

And I walked out with the Utopias. He1000 V2 Stealth showed me how different frequencies should sound. Utopias showed me musicians. I could never relax or get drawn into the music with the He1000 V2. Whereas with the Utopias it was just mesmerising. Female vocals blew me away. Songs that I am familiar with put a huge smile on my face when the vocals came on. Piano was spot on.

Oh I also picked up an used WA33. F*CK my wallet.

Sep 6, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #1,416 of 1,972
Has anyone tried Headamp's CFA3 prototype at any shows yet? Been very happy with their GSX-mk2 for Nutopia but would gladly jump from that to CFA3 if it makes a nice difference
CFA3 is slightly warmer (assuming they use ZF input stage), slightly bigger sounding and bass hits slightly harder than gsx2 wrt Utopia 22

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #1,418 of 1,972
CFA3 is slightly warmer (assuming they use ZF input stage), slightly bigger sounding and bass hits slightly harder than gsx2 wrt Utopia 22
my CFA3 is a monster in a positive way...tremendous power and all its positives with great control and soundstage.....I use it with the susvara and abyss 1266

Sep 11, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #1,419 of 1,972
53179481516_82016a00c8_k.jpg

Just received the HM1, and I spent a good few hours with this pairing yesterday evening. what a great amp for the U22! takes everything the U22 is strong at and takes it up a notch, and it does it so effortlessly too. it's like the transducer has disappeared.

strong imaging and placement, great layering. amazing mids and vocals and strong impactful and dense weighty low end. love the on the fly tone control adjustments. so easy to dial down a bit of treble on some songs/albums I like (that have some sharpness/etchiness) and makes them so much more enjoyable.

highly recommend a try/demo if possible. I sold off my Ferrum stack to partially fund the HM1 and have absolutely no regrets.

Sep 11, 2023 at 7:53 PM Post #1,420 of 1,972

Just received the HM1, and I spent a good few hours with this pairing yesterday evening. what a great amp for the U22! takes everything the U22 is strong at and takes it up a notch, and it does it so effortlessly too. it's like the transducer has disappeared.

strong imaging and placement, great layering. amazing mids and vocals and strong impactful and dense weighty low end. love the on the fly tone control adjustments. so easy to dial down a bit of treble on some songs/albums I like (that have some sharpness/etchiness) and makes them so much more enjoyable.

highly recommend a try/demo if possible. I sold off my Ferrum stack to partially fund the HM1 and have absolutely no regrets.
@Roasty , glad to hear it's a great pairing. Out of curiosity, have you played around any with the stereo base control? The Utopia's stage was always a bit narrow for my taste.

Sep 11, 2023 at 8:16 PM Post #1,421 of 1,972
@Roasty , glad to hear it's a great pairing. Out of curiosity, have you played around any with the stereo base control? The Utopia's stage was always a bit narrow for my taste.

Only played with it for a bit. I'm not sure how to describe it, but from what I'm hearing, it doesn't seem to increase the width of the staging when turning the knob to the right ie the far right and left boundaries seem to stay the same. what it does do is it moves elements within that boundary slightly farther out apart. for eg, say u have a song with some cowbells that u usually hear at maybe 1 o'clock position (in a horizontal plane); when turning the base control knob to the right, the cowbell moves to 2 or 3 o'clock. it's subtle but noticeable.

The above seems like what happens when turning the knob to the right. But when turning the knob to the left, it does seem to narrow the soundstage quite significantly. am not sure why anyone would want to do such a thing tho, so leftwards adjustment seems a bit redundant to me.

I'll play around with it a bit more when I use the Solitaire P and Abyss with the HM1. perhaps my perception of the knob will change with those headphones.

Sep 12, 2023 at 2:31 AM Post #1,422 of 1,972

Germans masterpieces Niimbus and Zähl enjoy!

Sep 12, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #1,423 of 1,972
Just got a NEW pair of Utopia 2022.
What the h**l are these marks on the metal?
Anyone familiar with this or did i get a "special" pair?

Attachments

• IMG-20230912-WA0034.jpeg
    IMG-20230912-WA0034.jpeg
    538.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20230912-WA0038.jpeg
    IMG-20230912-WA0038.jpeg
    569.6 KB · Views: 0
Sep 12, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #1,424 of 1,972
Germans masterpieces Niimbus and Zähl enjoy!
By the way. No one has ever compared these devices face to face. It would be interesting to hear a comparison. Who has experience, share it in the appropriate thread.

Sep 12, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #1,425 of 1,972

Users who are viewing this thread

Back