Focal Utopia 2022 Review, Measurements
Sep 12, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #1,427 of 1,972
Wow...so this is the actual design? I don't remember having this grayish-blackish coating with my 2020 model. It really looks like a color defect. But ok then...thanks.

That is forged carbon. The old model is carbon.

Forged carbon is like the stronger version of carbon fibre.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #1,428 of 1,972

Attachments

• 0004427_-focal-utopia.jpeg
    0004427_-focal-utopia.jpeg
    255.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 12, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #1,429 of 1,972
Just got a NEW pair of Utopia 2022.
What the h**l are these marks on the metal?
Anyone familiar with this or did i get a "special" pair?
Did you do any research on this headphone before you bought it? That is carbon, not metal- and it’s the new “forged recycled carbon” which is supposed to be stronger than the previous carbon fiber. Focal mentions it in all their promotional material.

Sep 12, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #1,430 of 1,972
Did you do any research on this headphone before you bought it? That is carbon, not metal- and it’s the new “forged recycled carbon” which is supposed to be stronger than the previous carbon fiber. Focal mentions it in all their promotional material.
Not really, as i previously owned the 2020 version. But all's good. I now understand that's the new look due to different material. Doesn't bother me at all if it's standard. For a moment i thought i recieved an aesthetically defective unit.
Thanks all!

Sep 12, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #1,431 of 1,972
Not really, as i previously owned the 2020 version. But all's good. I now understand that's the new look due to different material. Doesn't bother me at all if it's standard. For a moment i thought i recieved an aesthetically defective unit.
Thanks all!

To be fair, it's understandable. The forged carbon has such "random" pattern, and a bit messy too. Good thing is the headband now free from any crackling noise.

Sep 12, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #1,432 of 1,972
It amazes me when folks buy a $5k piece of gear, especially one which has been shown with plenty of pictures and discussed ad nauseam for well over a year, yet not have any awareness on the material and visual updates. Not like the 2022 model was a subtle change either 🤦🏽‍♂️

We are a well endowed community if this is a problem one encounters….

Sep 12, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #1,435 of 1,972
Sorry to disappoint. No trolls here.
Just didn't remember that coloring from my previous 2020 version. You can relax now and get on with your life.
To be fair you posted about it with concern, and still seem shocked about the visual difference between the 2020 and 2022 model. Further, you posted in one of three 2022 threads, ergo you haven’t done any reading of said threads nor any research ahead of your purchase to assume they would look identical.
Telling us to relax and get on with our lives is quite dismissive when you are the one who brought the concern to light by posting about a non-issue.

It’s a luxury item, and we should be thankful for being able to take part and not act like insolent children when things don’t go our way.

Sep 12, 2023 at 8:33 PM Post #1,436 of 1,972
Just got a NEW pair of Utopia 2022.
What the h**l are these marks on the metal?
Anyone familiar with this or did i get a "special" pair?
It’s fractured carbon, it’s intended to be that way.

Personally I prefer the original yokes with the classic carbon fibre, but in the car world fractured carbon is really trendy :)

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Sep 13, 2023 at 2:38 AM Post #1,438 of 1,972
Wow was my first thought when I saw the '22 Nutopia.
Sorry, but that recycled carbon fiber is plain ugly!
Personally, I think it is a nice change when you always see the same carbon fiber used in headphones. Back when the DCA Ether Flow was my favourite-looking can :sweat_smile:. Anyhow, it's now AUD $4288 but I'm also seeing lower MSRP emerge in the market already. Race to the bottom, or maybe Focal is universally lowering them?

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2023 at 7:26 AM Post #1,439 of 1,972
Wow was my first thought when I saw the '22 Nutopia.
Sorry, but that recycled carbon fiber is plain ugly!

I think it looks way better than the OG's band. Feels smoother / better as well and is quite a bit more solid.

Sep 13, 2023 at 8:13 AM Post #1,440 of 1,972
Personally, I think it is a nice change when you always see the same carbon fiber used in headphones. Back when the DCA Ether Flow was my favourite-looking can :sweat_smile:. Anyhow, it's now AUD $4288 but I'm also seeing lower MSRP emerge in the market already. Race to the bottom, or maybe Focal is universally lowering them?
No lowering here in the UK. Still £4700. I have my Aussie pair on the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back