Focal Utopia 2022 Review, Measurements
Mar 24, 2024 at 11:05 PM Post #1,951 of 1,971
The HifiMan is a lot less sensitive than the Utopia, however the noise could be from a number of issues: tubes, power cable, location of amp (can pick up emi/rfi interference easier due to exposure via tubes.
No probs using the same cables into the Auralic. I know tube amps are a lot of susceptible to EMI and noise in the power line.

Mar 24, 2024 at 11:07 PM Post #1,952 of 1,971
It could work but it's not gonna turn the WA33 into an absolute dynamo like the Auralic. I will do some more comparisons in the coming days.
And sometimes the best solution is to keep it simple, when it works it works. Anyone who suggests how your experience is different, it’s there problem. Auralic has nice headphone outputs on their DACs, great streamers too!

Mar 24, 2024 at 11:51 PM Post #1,954 of 1,971
Use both--my '18 Utopia and recently purchased BNIB HEKse with my WA33 with upgraded tubes all around with no noise issues at all.
Oh interesting. Thanks for this info.

Edit: I would love to keep both. But I have my eyes on a new mountain bike.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024 at 3:29 AM Post #1,956 of 1,971
Well well well, new mountain bike is going on hold or I gotta find something else to sell. WA33 got powered up again. That soundstage is just nuts. Imaging is spot on. Macrodynamics hit just as hard and fast as the Auralic. The Auralic got fatiguing after a while. I am not sure but it is as if it's adding a metallic sheen to the upper mids. Initially it became a bit distracting. Sibilance was more pronounced on the Auralic. The WA33 doesn't have this. It's lush but still technically very competent. The WA33 is very grand sounding but not boring.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I am running KR274B rectifier with WE417A drivers. Even with the stock tubes I have hum. It's only on the quiet passages it's bothersome. I live in an apartment block so lots of dirty power too.

Mar 28, 2024 at 10:48 AM Post #1,958 of 1,971
IMG_1108.jpeg

Cross-posting. Just love the Utopia 2022. They're my favourite headphone.

Directly out of the SP3000 with a Norne Vykari v2 (hybrid silver and copper) cable.

I can't remember if I've posted earlier in the thread but I love how the Utopia reveals the quality and tonality of the source chain. Absolute bliss. Whilst the SP3000 doesn't quite have the dynamic punch of a higher gain desktop amplifier, I'm rather enjoying the soft, sweet tones and change in pace.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 6:52 PM Post #1,959 of 1,971
please help I am confused .

the trs cable that arrives with the utopia 2022 is too damn short.
I connect it to HT OMEGA ECLARO sound card to 3.5mm headphones jack.

I need extension cable so I will have at least 2m so I watch my projector .

which cable do I need to get from aliexpress because I lost my mind. do I need just 3.5mm aux ? OFC normal, silver? TRS? I have no idea . what I have now is some width tiny little cable extension with a microphone splitter which I don't use.

Apr 7, 2024 at 6:27 PM Post #1,960 of 1,971
Anyone tried the Arctic Sonoro cable with the Nutopia?

Apr 9, 2024 at 12:45 AM Post #1,961 of 1,971
Posted this in OG Utopia thread and just saw this thread, so I will post here too.

Just got the 2022 version a few days back and have been feeding them with bassy music at appropriate level for 50-55 hours.

At this stage, my impression is that the 2022 version doesn’t seem to have the same level of dynamic, in comparison with the OG. I compared them side by side listening to several tracks and the difference was quite clear. TBH it’s a bit boring to listen to. FYI, my setup is in my sig (amp is V281 / Cable is Dana’s Lazuli Ref).

Hope this will improve after break in (hoping that the drivers need to be stabilized… and the headphones will “wake up” after the break in). As of now, the Newtopia is 0.5 step behind the OG and 2 steps behind my Susvara, which has deeper/more refined bass than the Newtopia (Susvara with the amp specifically designed for it, not the V281 of course).

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 8:23 AM Post #1,962 of 1,971
Think the Nutopia might have my fav presentation of distorted guitar in a headphone. It bloody nails it.

Apr 9, 2024 at 8:26 AM Post #1,963 of 1,971
Posted this in OG Utopia thread and just saw this thread, so I will post here too.

Just got the 2022 version a few days back and have been feeding them with bassy music at appropriate level for 50-55 hours.

At this stage, my impression is that the 2022 version doesn’t seem to have the same level of dynamic, in comparison with the OG. I compared them side by side listening to several tracks and the difference was quite clear. TBH it’s a bit boring to listen to. FYI, my setup is in my sig (amp is V281 / Cable is Dana’s Lazuli Ref).

Hope this will improve after break in (hoping that the drivers need to be stabilized… and the headphones will “wake up” after the break in). As of now, the Newtopia is 0.5 step behind the OG and 2 steps behind my Susvara, which has deeper/more refined bass than the Newtopia (Susvara with the amp specifically designed for it, not the V281 of course).

The Danacable has a warm, rich tonality which pairs better with the OG. I felt the detail was still there but masked. And yes, I thought it improved nicely with time.

Apr 9, 2024 at 8:41 AM Post #1,964 of 1,971
The Danacable has a warm, rich tonality which pairs better with the OG. I felt the detail was still there but masked. And yes, I thought it improved nicely with time.
Yep… also eyeing for appropriate cable for the 2022. I’m trying to borrow this Brise Audio cable for a demo and if it does the trick, will get this for 2.5m length.
IMG_7710.png

Also use Brise Yatono Ultimate with my Susvara and really love it.

Apr 9, 2024 at 8:47 AM Post #1,965 of 1,971
I would like to recommend the Transparent Ultra headphone cable, which has not many users. If you want a cable that is natural and smooth, with sweet and full mid-range without changing the characteristics of the headphones, Transparent Ultra is very suitable for 2022 utopia.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back