Focal Utopia 2022 Review, Measurements
Mar 16, 2024 at 5:54 PM Post #1,938 of 1,971
I hope the original Utopia is still relevant:fingers_crossed:
Yes. Definitely. I still own both. The tuning is different enough. My original utopia being more worn in I find more comfortable. I do prefer 2022 though.

Cable apologetics. It’s like religion. Perception is individual. And quite simply some people have more discernment. Stuff the science. It’s about the experience. And if a gorgeous cable leads to someone enjoying their headphone so much they wish to wax lyrical about it, it’s rather impolite to argue without having actually listened to it.

Re: copper v silver etc. some of that is community perception. It goes way deeper then copper is warm v silver is bright.

Mar 17, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #1,941 of 1,971
it is as relevant today as the grado hp1 and sennheiser hd800 are imo
Agreed, the OG Utopia's are still my No.1 dynamic headphone. They do so many things right in my opinion.

Mar 17, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #1,942 of 1,971
I don’t think there is a true #1 among Utopia, Utopia 2022, 800 and HP1000. 800 is just barely in the club IMO.

For relaxing and unwinding: HP1000 > Utopia 2022 > Utopia > 800

For active listening, analyzing and to impress friends: Utopia > Utopia 2022 > 800 > HP1000

Mar 17, 2024 at 3:25 PM Post #1,943 of 1,971
Just want to give a shout out to Dana Cables. I love how they offer the more portable 4.4M cable lazuli lite as it works wonders with my sony dap. I gave up desktop listening so I use both headphones and IEMs for portable/semi portable use.

Dana is a great company and my experiences with them have been A+... I needed to shorten my cable that I got from them and they only charged me $50 including shipping back to me.

The Lazuli Lite is flexible and light enough to use comfortably during travels.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2024 at 10:15 PM Post #1,944 of 1,971
Just want to give a shout out to Dana Cables. I love how they offer the more portable 4.4M cable lazuli lite as it works wonders with my sony dap. I gave up desktop listening so I use both headphones and IEMs for portable/semi portable use.

Dana is a great company and my experiences with them have been A+... I needed to shorten my cable that I got from them and they only charged me $50 including shipping back to me.

The Lazuli Lite is flexible and light enough to use comfortably during travels.
They are great. I love there cables. They also will work with you for custom cables too.

Mar 24, 2024 at 9:03 PM Post #1,945 of 1,971
damn. I pulled out the trusty ol Auralic Taurus from storage and plugged the Utopias in. When I first got the Utopias, I didn't enjoy this combo. But since then I got a new DAC (Wavelight). Just wow. I am seriously thinking of selling the WA33. The biggest plus is it's absolutely silent. Then there's more resolution. Better HF extension, better Timbre, a tad more dynamic and transient speed. Not as smooth. The soundstage is maybe not as big.

I could keep both but the hum with the WA33 is becoming annoying (only with Utopias). Might as well put the $$ towards something else.

Mar 24, 2024 at 9:06 PM Post #1,946 of 1,971
the hum is likely due to the utopia being very efficient..is there a lower gain function on the WA33?

Mar 24, 2024 at 10:20 PM Post #1,947 of 1,971
the hum is likely due to the utopia being very efficient..is there a lower gain function on the WA33?
I am using the lower again setting and I have lowered the DAC output. It is just the Utopias are way too sensitive. I plug my HE5 (LFF code X) and no issues. But, I love the Utopias, my only desert island headphone. I would rather go all in and build a system around them and call it a day than have multiple headphones.

Mar 24, 2024 at 11:03 PM Post #1,949 of 1,971
I plug my HE5 (LFF code X) and no issues
The HifiMan is a lot less sensitive than the Utopia, however the noise could be from a number of issues: tubes, power cable, location of amp (can pick up emi/rfi interference easier due to exposure via tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back