Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Sep 15, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #2,777 of 4,488
Has anybody tried to 'repaint' Stellia? If so, I would love to know what medium/materials have been used. The only reason I can't take Stellia outdoors is the cognac/mocha shade it comes in that I feel attracts too much attention. Black headband cushions in wool or leather can only cover the headband part and I would like to hide the color of even the ear cups. In fact, ignoring the risk of drop in resale value, I am considering giving a fresh coat of permanent and dark black paint to both cups and headband. But it's leather, not just metal. So, am not sure what kind of paint/materials could be used. Would appreciate tips.

I don't have any advice on what to use. Just replying to say that if you do indeed end up doing this, please post pictures when you're done. Very curious to see what it'd look like painted black.

Best of luck if you go ahead with this!

Sep 15, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #2,778 of 4,488
I'm guessing you will need to find someone willing to take apart the headphone. The metal part may be able to get a paint job. Leather obviously needs to be dyed via a separate process. To be honest, the Stellias are fairly big headphones with large ear cups. I'm not sure making them black is somehow going to make them stealthy.

Sep 16, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #2,779 of 4,488
Hi, I know this question varies depending on the person, but I was looking at the eq graph for the Stella's on RTings.com I see the dips from around 4-8k and then strong dips in the 12 & 16k region. I use Equalizer Apo, the one Resolve/The Headphone Show on YouTube uses. I made some adjustments in that 4-8k region, took down some of the bass in the 90-200hz region to get it better in line with the mids. I was curious to get detail info on the adjustments you guys made, did anyone touch the 12 & 16k regions with an eq or did you just leave it alone?

Sep 16, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #2,780 of 4,488
Hi, I know this question varies depending on the person, but I was looking at the eq graph for the Stella's on RTings.com I see the dips from around 4-8k and then strong dips in the 12 & 16k region. I use Equalizer Apo, the one Resolve/The Headphone Show on YouTube uses. I made some adjustments in that 4-8k region, took down some of the bass in the 90-200hz region to get it better in line with the mids. I was curious to get detail info on the adjustments you guys made, did anyone touch the 12 & 16k regions with an eq or did you just leave it alone?

Might this help?

Attachments

• Focal Stellia EQ Settings.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 0
Sep 19, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #2,782 of 4,488
Which other makes of headphone also use the same 3.5mm jacks? I’m looking for alternatives for contrast and have several cables that fit the Stellias.
i believe the stock cables are ts connectors.
have you found any issues using trs cable?

Sep 19, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #2,784 of 4,488
i believe the stock cables are ts connectors.
have you found any issues using trs cable?

no issues - I have a neotech silver cable for the Stellias which is terminated in a standard Jack plug but having changed amps to a Manley Absolute I find the best sound is via the xlr output. My only balanced cable is Focals own at present which is just ok. I’m hoping to get another set of cans with a different flavour to make use of the neotech cable but need some cans with the same sockets as the Focals.

Sep 19, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #2,786 of 4,488
I have a neotech silver cable for the Stellias

Me as well. I'm using a Neotech 23AWG solid core silver, which I've described previously. It has a very solid and rich sound, almost "dense"...

Which other makes of headphone also use the same 3.5mm jacks?

Take care when it comes to the 3.5mm headphone connectors plug. The barrel of the connector must be narrow enough to fit in the Stellia's jacks, which are recessed by about 4mm. Same goes for the other Focal headphones that use 3.5mm, I'm pretty sure.

I had a custom headphone cable with 3.5mm Viablue connectors which I was eager to connect to the Stellia only to discover that the Viablue connectors were too fat, which forced me to take an alternate route...

Sep 19, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #2,787 of 4,488
Me as well. I'm using a Neotech 23AWG solid core silver, which I've described previously. It has a very solid and rich sound, almost "dense"...

Take care when it comes to the 3.5mm headphone connectors plug. The barrel of the connector must be narrow enough to fit in the Stellia's jacks, which are recessed by about 4mm. Same goes for the other Focal headphones that use 3.5mm, I'm pretty sure.

I had a custom headphone cable with 3.5mm Viablue connectors which I was eager to connect to the Stellia only to discover that the Viablue connectors were too fat, which forced me to take an alternate route...

Could you tell me just how decent these low-priced 'upgrade' cables on a scale of 1 to 10 can be?
https://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic...er+upgrade+cable+focal&qid=1600552976&sr=8-16

Sep 19, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #2,788 of 4,488
Sep 19, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #2,790 of 4,488
:) Slummin' in the land of trust fund babies.

Awww nooo he said he dont love her so sad.
So much drama wheres my popcorn 🙃🙃🙂😛

Users who are viewing this thread

Back